BOUT TIME BRITISH

Do you know of any good tank related movies or simple decent war movies? Post them here for all of us to enjoy!
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

BOUT TIME BRITISH

Post by HERMAN BIX »

HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
jarndice
Colonel

Re: BOUT TIME BRITISH

Post by jarndice »

I wonder how accurate it will be?
We only lost but two of our number in the firefight after the initial assault and I cannot help wondering if the incident where a gun happy member of the regiment who got his hands on a captured anti-tank gun and started firing into a nearby mansion which turned out to be a Maternity Hospital will be in this epic.
This form of birth control is not one recommended by the Marie Stokes Clinic. :shh:
The one part of this film which is the same for most of them is the impossibility of explaining the waiting around then the instant burst of activity and then more waiting.
In real life "Action" is mostly incredibly boring but at the same time very frightening,
It is the tension of expectation backed up by the experience that what ever happens it wont be what you planned for.
And always in the back of my mind was WHO will I lose.
And you cannot explain how tired you are when its over.
Shaun.
Last edited by jarndice on Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

The late, and very watchable British actor, Richard Todd (d.2009) was a captain in the Paras. In a fairly recent documentary he described the events at Pegasus Bridge, and his role in the assault, in some detail. Sadly, like many of his generation,
he's no longer with us. There's more on the upcoming movie here:
http://pegasusbridgethemovie.com
Let's hope the historical action has not been affected by political correctness revisionism..., and that inappropriate characters have not been 'parachuted' in :problem: :shh:
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

The film makers can always refer to the regimental history, The Ox & Bucks who were an intrinsic part of the operation were wholly intergrated within the Regiment so that their adventures are also in the regiments history as are the exploits of the Glider Pilot regiment (Forerunners of the AAC))and to make it easier just ask any serving or ex member of the Regiment,
The history of the Regiment is taught to everyone and each Battalion emphasises the particular role and honours awarded to it when telling the History,
A young Regiment but very proud of its achievements.
Shaun,
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

I'm lucky enough to have been there a couple of times, the dignified lady who ran the cafe next to it during WW2 still runs it now. There are markers in the ground to show where the gliders landed, they brought them down literally a few yards from the bridge, an incredible feat of flying (though sadly, not quite such an incredible feat of landing).

I just hope that the movie is made the British way, telling it how it was, unpleasant though that was.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

Huh? Well I'll be damned! Hollywood would have us believe that all the British just rollewd over and without us Yanks the whole of Europe would now be speaking German and goose stepping every where. Stupid Hollywood!

I agree Herman, about damn time!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

jackalope wrote:Huh? Well I'll be damned! Hollywood would have us believe that all the British just rollewd over and without us Yanks the whole of Europe would now be speaking German and goose stepping every where. Stupid Hollywood!

I agree Herman, about damn time!

Yes, and the irony is, Jack, that most of Europe does speak a Germanic language, as a second language: English :lolno: :D As for Hollywood, the film that really got my goat was "U571" with the dashing Matthew McConaughey. Where the Yanks are depicted capturing a priceless enigma machine from the U-571 (no near reference the Gary's 'handle' intended.. :haha: )- in fact it was HMS Bulldog, and its modest Captain that did the deed. :-<
I expect that counts as artistic licence.. :lolno:
As an incidental, it was reported lately in our local Highland journal that Ernie (full name omitted), a genial old gent known locally for smoking roll-ups, despite admitting to being 'around' 90, and taking his old dog for long walks all over Wester Ross, had died. Nothing unusual in that, you might think. But then it emerged that he had only recently been awarded the Legion d'Honneur for his bravery in WW2. A modest man, he never mentioned it. As an RAF medic, he'd been helping the American wounded off Omaha beach, whilst still under fire. His only child had died young in the 1950s , and so his medal went to a neice in Australia.
I'd often blethered with him, and once asked what he did in the War, and he said he was a medic and "...didn't see much action, lad.." Typical Brit understatement...
Wish we still had people of his calibre :|
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

British understatement, reminds me of the guy in Monte Pythons Holy Grail. "Tis but a scratch" Dude has no arms or legs left! LOL!
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Mick it was the OX & Bucks and the sixth Airborne and later they were supported by seventh Airborne,
There was an element of REs to actually blow the thing if it became necessary. A job the Regiment does in house these days :haha:
There were of course the men of the Glider Pilot Regiment in the fight, But no 1st Airborne on this one,
I think they were being held back through the Normandy operation in case.
Shaun.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Mick the trouble with First Airborne is whilst it was as its title suggests the First Airborne regiment formed in the British Army at RAF Ringwood later Manchester Airport it is often confused with the First Airborne of the United States Army which was formed a little later.
Two of its first jobs included an operation over and on Norway,
If you want to know more you could try the Airborne museum which was in Aldershot but when Airborne was moved it might now be in Colchester,
They will certainly have all the details of just about everyman who served in the Regiment,
Do you have his Army Number and his dates of Service ?
The more information you can give them the more information they will be able to find out for you.
If you have need of a place to start why not phone or visit your local British Legion,
But be careful you could be stuck there for hours getting your ear bent by some old soldier :haha:
Shaun.

Return to “Movies”