Metal or plastic?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
tomhugill
Captain

Re: Metal or plastic?

Post by tomhugill »

Metal gearboxes and plastic tracks. Metal tracks put strain on everything else.
Tiggr
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tiggr »

Interesting opinions above.

My first Tiger was the all plastic HL version (long gone now).
In action it was far too fast, no resemblance to the real thing at all.

Even the metal versions I have now look completely ridiculous when you put them in a "power spin" (Except the HL "pro" King Tiger which can't t even do a power spin unless it is on a smooth surface such as the kitchen floor).

If I watched a battle of 1:16 tanks would I be disappointed ?
Tiger 1 Early Taigen,
Tiger 1 Mid Torro,
Tiger 1 Late Taigen,
King Tiger Taigen (P)
Jagdtiger Torro
King Tiger (H)
King Tiger Torro (H)
Tiger 1 late Torro
Panther G Taigen
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Tiggr wrote:Interesting opinions above.

Even the metal versions I have now look completely ridiculous when you put them in a "power spin" (Except the HL "pro" King Tiger which can't t even do a power spin unless it is on a smooth surface such as the kitchen floor).

Yes.
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Tiggr wrote:Interesting opinions

All the tank battles I have seen on youtube are so fake and toy like that makes me lose interest on batling.

People seems to be more concerned on winning than playing realisticly... So it has no sense to me.

Answering your questions, for me, metal tracks are a must in some models like the tamiya king tiger (worst tracks I have ever seen) but some of them like the tamiya sherman are more than enough.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

IR battling isn't realistic however it's great fun to partake in!
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:I've read that these new tamiya gearboxes are more controllable, as well as the aftermarket tamiya ones that sell for over £200, but they also say they're 50 to 1 gear ratio, shame there isn't a limiter built into the electronics. It's little wonder our tanks get track problems, especially Heng-Long with their just under 40 to 1 gear ratios.
For me, although stock HL motors can struggle a bit with metal tracks, noticeable by how long a full charge lasts against running plastic, I feel the extra weight gives more of a realistic run over rough ground, the tank doesn't wobble about so much like a toy, especially when going slowly.

Mick.
Which new and after market Tamiya gearboxes? Do you have any details?
Dusty Steppes
Private

Post by Dusty Steppes »

The best performer I have for running on grass is a plastic Taigen early Tiger I. The drive sprockets and idlers were upgraded to metal, it has the four shaft steel gears, and the electronics were upgraded with a Clark Tk22. The tracks and roadwheels are plastic and it works flawlessly on grass. I use a Turnigy 9x to control it and I have the radio programmed so that when you make a hard turn the inside track reverses just enough too act as a brake to lock the track and the tank pivots. The radio is also programmed to give a realistic turret rotation speed. The only thing the sticks on the radio are used for are driving, steering, and turret rotation. All the other functions are controlled by switches.
bikerdude
Lance Corporal

Post by bikerdude »

Thanks for all the replies. Without wishing to insult anyone, but for me being realistic or scale isn't really a worry, as it's just something I can spend the summer in the garden playing around with, with my kids. Purely looking for something that will make these better for the abuse they get. The snow leopard (though everywhere I look for spares calls it a Pershing?), is now looking more like 3 years old rather than 1 week! Unfortunately the only place I can find metal drive wheels for it is on eBay, but only with the metal tracks at £75. Thanks to whoever mentioned Forgebear, as the gearboxes are a lot cheaper from there.

Needing to find everything as cheap as possible now as it looks like my car needs another new rear wheel bearing, 3rd in the last few years...
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

My thoughts on the subject is make your toy tank as tough as a real tank! Metal tracks, metal gearboxes, metal drive sprockets, metal road wheels, metal idler wheels, metal lower hull!

My King Tiger weights in at 29lbs/13kg.
My Jagdtiger weights in at 31lbs/14kg.
My 2 Tiger I's are 26lbs/11kg and 27lbs/12kg.

All can go ANYWHERE, through ANYTHING and keep on going!
Tiggr
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tiggr »

tomhugill wrote:
Tiggr wrote:Interesting opinions above.

Yes.

That's a shame.
It spoils the realistic scale model if it is run at a scale speed of 80/90 mph.
Similar to my other hobby - garden railways - some folk run their locos at the scale speed of a scalded cat.....

Models of any type and scale should be run/operated at a scale speed

Toys on the other hand - it doesn't matter.
Tiger 1 Early Taigen,
Tiger 1 Mid Torro,
Tiger 1 Late Taigen,
King Tiger Taigen (P)
Jagdtiger Torro
King Tiger (H)
King Tiger Torro (H)
Tiger 1 late Torro
Panther G Taigen

Return to “General Questions”