New HL Tiger 1 Stuck idler and hull damage?

This board contains easy-to-do fixes on your new tanks from stock. This will hopefully help beginners to get the accuracy they want from their models.
foxtrotraptor
Lance Corporal

Re: New HL Tiger 1 Stuck idler and hull damage?

Post by foxtrotraptor »

Ok I think I got this correct now :lolno:

Ideals are peaceful, history is violent.
foxtrotraptor
Lance Corporal

Post by foxtrotraptor »

Here is a video I just recorded of my idler problem. I WAS working fine for about 10 min then it started to lock up again.

phpBB [video]
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Well that bit of sagging bodywork looks like it could interfere with the track movement, but not enough to lock the idler. It almost looks as if the model has been damaged in transit. Normally, the upper and lower hulls are bonded by screws and
interlocking tabs. Quite why yours is sagging like that, I don't know. Only dismantling it would answer that one. I'd be inclined to contact the vendor before dissecting the beast, if I were you...because the Tiger shouldn't look like that.
If you choose not to contact the vendor, take heart from the fact that the tank is repairable. It's not a great start to the hobby, but it'll certainly be an instructive one.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
foxtrotraptor
Lance Corporal

Post by foxtrotraptor »

Thank you 43rdRecceReg. Ive contacted the Ebay Vendor. Apparently they are located in Califonia since it shipped from a city near by but I have a feeling their customer service is in China,they are also taking a long time answering back. Their first response asked me to provide them with a video so they can see what the problem is and how they can "help" me, Im not eactly sure how to send them a video since its through the ebay sytem. I did send the vendor the 2 pictures you see above, I am currently waiting for them to respond. Hopfully they just ask for me to return it. Other wise yes Ill have to open it up and see what I can do to fix it :(
Aussie
Corporal

Post by Aussie »

Take the idler wheel off , sand the mating surfaces smooth , add a TINY amount of grease to the mating surfaces , and don't overtighten the screw on reassembly. Make sure the metal washer is in between the hull and idler wheel.
Remove all 6 screws holding the upper and lower hulls together and see what the drama is re the gap , looks like something simple.
There's plenty of tutes on here showing both these missions.
Don't get your panties in a bunch , we still got hand weapons and the fifty!
foxtrotraptor
Lance Corporal

Post by foxtrotraptor »

Thanks Aussie, Im going to start on that tomorrow, It looks like its not even worth returning to the seller since I have to pay shipping. Ill stat on this and see how it goes. Thanks for the help Ill keep yo guys updated.
Aussie
Corporal

Post by Aussie »

No worries mate , good luck and I hope all goes well.
Don't get your panties in a bunch , we still got hand weapons and the fifty!
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Best of luck sorting it out mate, also a good idea to have your tracks a bit loose, and ensure the washer is in place on the idler with a spot of grease.
The metal idler should shoulder-up onto the mount, with the washer in place, with the bolt/screw tight, and only allow a tiny bit of slop.
The idler wheel should be able to be taken apart depending on its breed, so this may be a necessary option as well.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
971wright
2nd Lieutenant

Post by 971wright »

Hi to get the hull back in shape use a hair dryer and gently heat area and pry it back in shape ,don't over do it a little at a time and it should go back to correct position. For the idler make sure there is a washer fitted also make sure the idler has a chamfer to the front edge of the hole the screw holding it normally has a radius under the head which holds it and can make the idler bind.

regards pete
foxtrotraptor
Lance Corporal

Post by foxtrotraptor »

HERMAN BIX wrote:Best of luck sorting it out mate, also a good idea to have your tracks a bit loose, and ensure the washer is in place on the idler with a spot of grease.
The metal idler should shoulder-up onto the mount, with the washer in place, with the bolt/screw tight, and only allow a tiny bit of slop.
The idler wheel should be able to be taken apart depending on its breed, so this may be a necessary option as well.

What type of grease should i use? All i have at home is high temp grease. And lubricants like WD40 and a Silicon spray for airsoft.

Return to “Things to fix on your new tank”