Hi folks

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Re: Hi folks

Post by silversurfer1947 »

I have Tamiya, Heng Long, Taigen and Torro tanks. When I started I knew nothing about RC tanks and in my ignorance chose a Tamiya Tiger 1. I got huge satisfaction from the building. That was lacking from the RTR alternatives. However there are members here who can take a relatively cheap RTR and turn it into a work of art. My skills are definitely not up to that

Ultimately, you pays you money and takes your choice. For me, I would not change what I've done.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
endure
Recruit

Post by endure »

Which would be less expensive - a Tamiya full option or a Heng Long with all the add-ons? Do I buy a cheapie now or save up for the full whack?
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good afternoon and welcome to the Forum.
Enjoy a little something from both Worlds. Either buy an already built Tamiya tank and deconstruct it and build to your own specs or get a new 'Kit' Tiger tank that can be built into one of three types ( Static, Airsoft or IR ) from either Taigen or Torro.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

The price of Tamiya full option tanks varies wildly depending on which tank you choose and where you buy it from. Germany seems to offer the best prices. I reckon if you add it all up, there is not much to choose, once you add on the cost of new electronics for Heng Long etc. As I said, I enjoyed the assembly of the Tamiya. I think they also produce more accurate models. However, please seek views of others. My views are biased towards what I have enjoyed doing.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

The choice of Tank is related to what you like doing with it and your relationship with your Bank Manager,
If you can come up with the Money and you consider building the Tank as part of a greater experience than just running it around the Garden then the Tamiya is a no brainer,
If you want to build a Tank but you cannot run to the up front price of a Tamiya I would suggest you buy the cheapest Heng Long Tank and armed with a bottle of "Debonder" and basic craft tools you dis-assemble it (With patience it is very easy) and then rebuild it with a better pair of gearboxes and a new control board and an uprated "Smoker" Then you might want to fit Metal Wheels and Metal Tracks,
As you see the costs are rising but because you are buying items one at a time you can pace the financial outlay to suit your Pocket book, The end result is a Tank that YOU have built which is priceless to you and indeed has cost a fortune except it is only a HENG LONG Tank so it has little resale value,
I would never sell any of my Tanks so that to me is irrelevant,
Or finally if what you want is a TANK that at best you will only repaint but otherwise just run it from the box then get a TAIGEN or TORRO Tank, They are pricier than a HENG LONG but are allegedly better built.
Using reference sources you can build a specific Tank that is an historic copy of an original or a Tank specific to a particular Battalion or Regiment,
Some of what you need in a build, in particular the less common Tanks mean you have to scratch build them but in general a search of the Web and a few well directed questions here will point you to what you need from a dealer.
Remember the more modern Tanks that are available the Abrams and the Leopard or the Challenger2, all worth a look,
Check out the Modern Tank build Forum for more detail.
Read the many and different Forums and sites to be found here and you will find many of your questions will be answered.
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by RobW »

Another option is to pick up a cheap-ish HL and play with it whilst building something else, then upgrade it. Just be aware that there are 4 different types of radio gear in stock HL; 27MHz (crystals, old models) and 3 different sets of 2.4GHz.

Shaun missed the T90 out of the modern tanks, but they're still not widely available (despite 3 being bought last GLAD meet!).
endure
Recruit

Post by endure »

Anyone had any experience of Taigen self build like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Self-Assembly ... Sw3xJXnh3f
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Just to make sure you are aware that the kit does NOT include the necessary Taigen transmitter, receiver and electronics which is another £60.
Richard
endure
Recruit

Post by endure »

Is it necessary to use a Taigen transmitter or could I use another brand? I think I've got an old 7 channel Devention in the attic

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

It is difficult to find exactly what is included in the kit, but from the photo of the transmitter, it looks as though the kit does not include the electronic module (RX18) that is the tank's brains. This appears to come with the transmitter. Consequently, if you don't use the whole Taigen package, you will need to purchase a control board from a third party, which put things into a different league, cost wise. If you are seriously interested in this, I would suggest you contact the seller with your questions.

Alternatively, you can get this RTR https://www.rctank.de/24-GHz-TIGER-I-LA ... -IR-system
Richard

Return to “Introduce Yourself”