Hi folks

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
endure
Recruit

Hi folks

Post by endure »

Just joined for a look around. I'm interested in getting my first tank. Cheers
RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Hi folks

Post by RobW »

Hi, and it'll not stop at one..... Where are you?
endure
Recruit

Post by endure »

Just updated my profile. I'm in Derby. I've only just started looking at tanks but one thing strikes me. I can buy a Heng Long ready built with radio included far more cheaply than something like a Tamiya kit. Any reason why?
RobW

Post by RobW »

Tamiya - very detailed but you pay for the quality.
Heng Long - less detailed but you can add alot of bits!

There's a meet in Grantham next Sunday (I think), no doubt there will be a lot of different tanks there. If you're just wanting something to mess with & learn on then HL is excellent; Tamiya is probably worth the price but it's expensive.

Look for the recommended vendors; forgebear often comes to the Grantham meet, but don't think he is for June.
endure
Recruit

Post by endure »

Is there anywhere that has details of the meetings please?
RobW

Post by RobW »

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22932&p=209477&hil ... am#p209477

Someone will be on in a day or so with the June confirmation.
endure
Recruit

Post by endure »

Thanks
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Hi and welcome to the FORUM :clap: :thumbup: :wave: ,
The Heng Long range has improved by leaps and bounds since my first Panzer 4 with its moulded on tools and plastic gears and now the Radio side is approaching the lower end of the aftermarket R/C control boards of just a few years ago and that is something I never thought I would say,
The overall build quality is very much higher than once it was.
The great thing about the Heng Long and the Taigen Tanks is there is a massive upgrade facility available from some very good dealers,
If you want a list of some of the dealers we all buy from, that is both complete Tanks and upgrade parts just ask.
Tamiya are rightly acknowledged as the Rolls/Mercedes of our hobby but as with any premium product they are more expensive and have to be built by you which to the hardened builders among us is one of the attractions of Tamiya,
But if you want RTR (Ready to Run) then the cheaper Heng Long and Taigen Tanks are for you,
Whatever you decide we will never tell you what to do with your Tank but we will offer all the help you need if you ask,
ASK QUESTIONS PLEASE,
And yes we have probably already heard them BUT they are new to you so go ahead and ask,
There are no stupid questions if you really don't know the answer.
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
endure
Recruit

Post by endure »

Thanks for the welcome. I was hoping to find a reasonably priced kit as I quite fancy building it myself but Tamiya (I've built some of their RC cars so I know what the quality is like) prices are a bit scary for a first attempt.

I shall continue my investigations into Heng Long and Taigen. Would you recommend any particular model for a newbie?

cheers
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I was afraid you were going to ask that question :haha: :haha:
There are quite literally thousands of members of this Forum from all round the World and just about everyone of them has a favourite,
I would suggest a TIGER 1 from either Taigen , Torro or Heng Long or if you are feeling a bit flush Tamiya,
E-BAY is a Good source of Tamiya Second hand Tanks but look out for shysters.
It is a big Tank with a massive array of upgrades available and it is big enough to allow a newcomer to get their apprentice hands on the Tank without breaking stuff by mistake BUT that's my choice I absolutely know others will have there own choice.
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:

Return to “Introduce Yourself”