Max's 1/6 Blitzkrieg Armor Hetzer Project

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Max's 1/6 Blitzkrieg Armor Hetzer Project

Post by Max-U52 »

Hey, Men, I have received notice that the new Hetzer will be delivered Monday so I'm going to start the thread and post all the pics I received from the seller prior to shipping. I've discussed this at RCU and started a thread there, but due to recent format changes at RCU this will be the main build thread and a lot will get posted here and only here. It was always in the plan to do a dual build thread, one here and one at RCU, but that new software is not making Gary a Happy Camper so they'll have to take what I can figure out how to post. Here at RCTW I'm right at home and know how everything works so you guys get the full benefit of my insanity. @)

I've enjoyed many great build logs right here (one of my current faves is Carl's Panda Hobbies 38T) and I think others out there might enjoy them as I do so I want to make this as comprehensive as my lazy old butt can manage. Questions and advice are are always welcome. I have two excellent Gurus on this project that are both well versed in 1/6 scale, and if they want to make themselves known that's cool with me, but I won't blow their cover. :/

As good as my two partners in this little caper are, there's one area where I still may need some help, and that's paintball. I know there are volumes of rules on the subject in certain locales, but here in the land of the second amendment paintball is pretty tame so I pretty much have free rein. So ... any paintball gurus out there?

I think a brief history is a good place to start. Not long ago I got a call from a friend that had fallen on hard times and needed to raise some cash (ain't we all been there?) and he offered to sell me his brand new Imex/Taigen Panther F for a great price. I couldn't really afford it, but did have some liquid capitol and wanted to help out my Bud, so I decided to buy it and put it up for sale on RCU. I don't usually post tanks for sale here at RCTW because of the outrageous shipping costs across the Big Water. Anyway, I posted it at the exact price I paid for it, plus actual shipping cost, and I soon got a PM from a gent in California. Right away there was a little red flag because this man had been a member at RCU since last September but had yet to make a single post or start a single thread. But, I have yet to be burned at RCU so I got back to him and everything went beautifully. He paypalled (sp? Is that even a word? The past-tense for "paypal"? Paypal as a verb?) the loot and I sent the tank and it arrived in great shape and he's a happy camper, I'm a happy camper, and my Bud at least got the coin to fix his daughter's vehicle if he did have to give up his Panther F, so I guess he's a semi-happy camper. Anyway, during the course of our communications it came up that this Gentleman was into 1/6 scale tanks but due to space considerations was making the change to 1/16 scale. He had already sold his Tiger One, but still had a Blitzkrieg Armor Hetzer kit, still new in the box and unassembled.

To make a long story short, I was able to buy this kit at what I think is a very reasonable price (my two gurus agree that I got a fair deal, but I haven't really tried to pin them down for an opinion on the price I paid, maybe because I fear what I might hear) and the Gentleman was kind enough to use a professional shipping company that does a lot of art work and other valuable items (at additional expense to himself, for which I thank him) and they have informed me that the package will arrive at my shop on Monday. It will be 36x22x18 inches and it weighs 81 lbs. Keep in mind that the Hetzer was one of Germany's smallest tanks in WWII, so it won't be as impressively large as one of the big cats, but for a first tank in 1/6 scale I think I really lucked out and made a significant score.

So here are the photos I received pre-shipment, and you guys know I'll post photos and video when she arrives. I have not yet decided on a paint scheme but I'm open to suggestion on that. I think this kit is rare enough to deserve as much accuracy as I can muster, so I'm counting on every single one of you guys to contribute your knowledge to make this tank the Jewel of my (fledgling) Collection. I have two other 1/6 scale RC projects in the wings, a Dragon Kubel kit and an Armor Hobbies Sd.Kfz.250 Halftrack that I really want to RC eventually. If I someday get good enough to produce a working Schwimmwagen I'll consider my life complete. :crazy:

With a 1/16 KT

So there she is, Fellas, what do y'all think? I'm not sure what (if any) provisions there are for track tensioning, but it looks like I'll have to remove a link or two from each track.

:wave: :wave: :wave:
Last edited by Max-U52 on Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Swamprat33
Lance Corporal

Re: Max's 1/6 Blitzkrieg Armor Hetzer Project

Post by Swamprat33 »

Congrats Max, Welcome to the big and heavy world of 1/6 Tanks.

One word of caution, I have been told from several sources that they are very under powered using the stock motors on 12v. It might be worth planning a more powerful drive system like the chain drive system used in the recent Mark1 tanks.

Armorpax in the UK has just started selling the Etches for the Hetzer again, which might come in handy.

I would love to get a Blitzkrieg Hetzer kit, but they are pretty scarce.
Anyway, i assured my wife that i would ONLY have the 2 tanks.
I don't think she would let me off on the technicality that the Hetzer is NOT a tank, but a Tank Destroyer.
She still considers my 250/9 as a tank because it has a turret.

Anyway, i am very interested to see how this turns out.

Good luck.

Tim
1/6 Armortek Panther ausf.G
1/6 Armortek Panzer III ausf.J
1/6 Type 82 Funkwagen
1/6 Sdkfz 250/9
1/6 Sdkfz 2 Kettenkrad
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Max I am very impressed with this not only Due to the sheer size of this beast but also the fact that it's a hetzer! I will be following along with great interest as this one goes. I'm hoping one day to get a large scale tank myself and I'm very happy for you can wait to see more

Carl
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Swamprat33
Lance Corporal

Post by Swamprat33 »

Hey Carl, The 1/6 Hetzer is one of the smaller 1/6 AFVs and is not that much bigger than a 1/16 King Tiger.
My Panther & Comet are both much larger and heavier too.

I will admit that i much prefer working on 1/6 scale now although i still dabble in 1/16.

Tim
1/6 Armortek Panther ausf.G
1/6 Armortek Panzer III ausf.J
1/6 Type 82 Funkwagen
1/6 Sdkfz 250/9
1/6 Sdkfz 2 Kettenkrad
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Swamprat33 wrote:Hey Carl, The 1/6 Hetzer is one of the smaller 1/6 AFVs and is not that much bigger than a 1/16 King Tiger.
My Panther & Comet are both much larger and heavier too.

I will admit that i much prefer working on 1/6 scale now although i still dabble in 1/16.

Tim
Tim I think I might be able to pull off a hetzer or a Panzer II variant so the wife doesn't explodeImage The size of the hetzer may make it much easier to handle and transport. How are the electronics and motors for these large tanks versus our standard 1:16 scale variants? Very interesting indeed...
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

I think the small size of the Hetzer compared to any of the big cats (Tigers, Panthers, etc) is one of the things that makes it a perfect entry level 1/6 piece. I can transport it in an SUV and don't have the huge weight of something like an Armortek Tiger One. When complete I think the tank will weigh in somewhere around 70 lbs. compared to close to 400 lbs for an all metal T1. If I ever do achieve my goal of owning an Armortek Tiger One someday I'll buy a minivan just to haul it around. @)

I'm thinking about paint schemes. For me it's important to have multiple views of the subject I'm copying. These are a couple of candidates, though the 201's camo might be a bit out of my league.

I like the 131 a lot.

I'm just pulling these photos from Google Images, so if anyone sees anything that might not be kosher, like copyright stuff, please speak up. I don't want to mess up the Karma, can ya dig it? :shh: :/

Anyone have a favorite Hetzer scheme? The more photos or drawings the better. Of the two above I like the 131 for several reasons - easier to paint, still has the front and rear fenders, and lots of good detail like tools, track links and cables.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

How about something like this....

I like the contrast and the red outlinesImage
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Either way Max your a talented painter so I'm sure it will look great
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

That's very interesting, Carl, do you think we can find a view of the other side and the rear? I think with those I could fake in the top. Maybe I should google "Hetzers near you" and make a museum trip. :haha:

That's an interesting thought. I wonder where I can find a real Hetzer to photograph. Hmmm.
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Max you just had an excellent idea... There are none nearby me but maybe one of the members you know on the other side of the pond could do some friendly recognisance for you... or possibly have already and have photos from their visit to a museum or show...

Return to “Larger Scale Military”