Free, bupkis & fer nuttin'

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
Spam In A Can 26
Lance Corporal

Re: Free, bupkis & fer nuttin'

Post by Spam In A Can 26 »

I’ve received a surprising number of negative PM’s on this so I guess a clarification is in order. After that I’m just walking away from it completely. It was intended as a helpful & clever tick where it’s legal & if you’re comfortable with it, nothing more. Sorry to anyone I offended.
FOR THE RECORD! I do not endorse, condone or suggest, that anyone do anything dangerous, illegal, immoral, stupid, scary or fattening.
. Anyway.
1: Please use common sense & intelligence if you decide to try it. These particular types of brass are 100% inert, 100% safe, & 0% capable of being re-engineered into something else.
2:I checked with some knowledgeable friends in several parts Europe & they all tell me the same thing, legally its “scrap metal” the same as cut up pipefittings & so on, nothing else.
3: If you think it’s not legal, don’t do it.
4: If it makes you, your family & friends or your pets or club members nervous or uncomfortable, don’t do it.
5: Don’t violate privacy or rules of anyone you may interface with trying it.
6: Don’t trespass, ask permission, if it’s denied, that’s it, don’t do it.
7: If it’s too tough to do, don’t get stressed, just don’t do it.
8: Use common sense & don’t get into trouble.

I just received this from one of my U.K. Contacts & thought I’d share.
It substantiates my contention that LOADED LIVE AMMUNITION (a complete “Round of Ammunition” is indeed licensed & controlled, but both inert “dewat” rounds & cases are not.)

Chapter 2 of the police guide:

2.9 “Ammunition” means ammunition for
any firearm and includes grenades, bombs
and other like missiles whether capable of
use with a firearm or not, and also includes
prohibited ammunition. It will be noted
that the definition of ammunition does
not include ingredients and components
of ammunition; it is only assembled
ammunition that is controlled under the
Act, not component parts. Empty cartridge
cases, for example, are not “ammunition”.

The only exception to this is the missiles for
ammunition prohibited under section 5 of the
1968 Act, for example expanding or armourpiercing
bullets. Such missiles are themselves
regarded as “ammunition” and are subject to
control accordingly.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

:O I'm sorry if you felt upset, Spam, by my (casual) observations on used cartridge cases. I was simply pointing out how stringent laws are in the EU, and especially the UK on Firearms, parts of firearms,and their munitions....not knocking your contribution. The idea of using spent cartridges as scale tank shells is not in fact new on the forum, as it cropped up fairly recently. There I suggested using Nato 5.56 rounds as ersatz 88mm tank rounds (16 x 5.56= 88.96, and so a close approximation). Used rounds of all calibers can be bought online, but as I understand it, they're not viable; that is they're put beyond re-use (except for those with Firearms certificates..and they're as rare as rocking horse s**t to obtain here, and some other EU nations.). Lighters and lamps have been made from them, as well as other novelties, just so with mills bombs and artillery shells....But posting it, or taking by plane can be quite a different, and problematic matter.. considering regulations, and how things are x-rayed these days. This is how I had the .303 used shells confiscated by the Police (Polizei).
As Gary says, continue to make innovative suggestions. We all try to here, I'm sure. :thumbup:
Here's an article on viable cartridges, and reusing them, if your interested. :) It applies to the UK, but our latest stringent rules on firearms related issues come from the EU: a political and bureaucratic union we never asked to join (we signed for an economic union :shh: ). But now we're leaving.......
http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/answers/leg ... egal-81336
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Spam In A Can 26
Lance Corporal

HERMAN BIX wrote:Yeah mate, help away.
Each nation has things peculiar to it, but that is no barrier to ideas and suggestions :thumbup:

I have some .243 ballistic capped projectiles I can use for 'warheads' on the end of spent shell cases, so your idea is great.

Looks good, and like you say- free(we like free)
.243 may be a bit big. Maybe a .223 or .224 in a .22 mag case?
Spam In A Can 26
Lance Corporal

43rdRecceReg wrote::O I'm sorry if you felt upset, Spam, by my (casual) observations on used cartridge cases. I was simply pointing out how stringent laws are in the EU, and especially the UK on Firearms, parts of firearms,and their munitions....not knocking your contribution. The idea of using spent cartridges as scale tank shells is not in fact new on the forum, as it cropped up fairly recently. There I suggested using Nato 5.56 rounds as ersatz 88mm tank rounds (16 x 5.56= 88.96, and so a close approximation). Used rounds of all calibers can be bought online, but as I understand it, they're not viable; that is they're put beyond re-use (except for those with Firearms certificates..and they're as rare as rocking horse s**t to obtain here, and some other EU nations.). Lighters and lamps have been made from them, as well as other novelties, just so with mills bombs and artillery shells....But posting it, or taking by plane can be quite a different, and problematic matter.. considering regulations, and how things are x-rayed these days. This is how I had the .303 used shells confiscated by the Police (Polizei).
As Gary says, continue to make innovative suggestions. We all try to here, I'm sure. :thumbup:
Here's an article on viable cartridges, and reusing them, if your interested. :) It applies to the UK, but our latest stringent rules on firearms related issues come from the EU: a political and bureaucratic union we never asked to join (we signed for an economic union :shh: ). But now we're leaving.......
http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/answers/leg ... egal-81336
I see your point, I'm originally from the U.K. & was (unusually) a target & match shooter. These are emphatically NOT viable. There is a huge difference between a center-fire & a rim-fire case, center-fires can be reloaded tens of times (unless its a .303 (groan)), but rim-fires are very much one shot & done so reloading isn't a relevant part of the task.
The police manual excerpt above very clearly states (& I completely agree) that complete, functioning, loaded ammunition IS regulated & can only be possessed by a holder of an FAC (license) for that exact caliber of round, but components (specifically mentioned as cases & Brass) is not!
It will be noted
that the definition of ammunition does
not include ingredients and components
of ammunition; it is only assembled
ammunition that is controlled under the
Act, not component parts. Empty cartridge
cases, for example, are not “ammunition”
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

This is just one more reason I call this my home forum, because of how the men here calmly and rationally resolve any type of dispute or conflict. On RCU guys would have been calling each other ten kinds of douchebag by now, instead of calmly and rationally expressing viable opinions on the subject.

You guys really are the best. Long live RCTW and all its members. :clap: :clap: :thumbup: :thumbup: 8) 8)
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
DRC
Lance Corporal

Post by DRC »

I have thousands of 17 HMR spent cases in my garage. If anyone in the UK wants some just let me know and I'll happily post you some.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Spam In A Can 26 wrote:
HERMAN BIX wrote:Yeah mate, help away.
Each nation has things peculiar to it, but that is no barrier to ideas and suggestions :thumbup:

I have some .243 ballistic capped projectiles I can use for 'warheads' on the end of spent shell cases, so your idea is great.

Looks good, and like you say- free(we like free)
.243 may be a bit big. Maybe a .223 or .224 in a .22 mag case?
Correction, they are .222
The .243 ones are for another project.
.222 common round for Kangaroo shooting here
Also along with .223

Good use of ready made materials mate, clearly some don't understand that it will vary according to the individual geographic, and was intended as advice/ idea rather than any subversive suggestion to run foul of any local law !

Nice work
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Aussie
Corporal

Post by Aussie »

Up here after the army has done an exercise in the bush there are hundreds of spent 5.56mm dummy shell cases to pick up , cut off the ground up pretend projectile and boom , spent shell casings for the tanks.
Don't get your panties in a bunch , we still got hand weapons and the fifty!
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Well, the weapon laws are quite strict in the good old Europe. Some years ago I wanted to buy an Sig 552 commando AIRSOFT magazine in the UK shipped to Spain, and the seller refused to send anything outside the UK because he was having really big problems with the parcels at the post office due to some stupid weapons police.

The most effective way would be using a courier, and wrap the bunch of shells with aluminium paper, so there is no way to see whats inside in such a small packet.

Dont get the things personal, Spam-in-a-can. I would happyly grab a bunch of shells from you, but the shipping its a bit a steepy.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
Spam In A Can 26
Lance Corporal

Are you anywhere near DRC? See his post, complete with kind offer above. :thumbup:

Return to “Tips and Tricks”