Free, bupkis & fer nuttin'

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
Spam In A Can 26
Lance Corporal

Free, bupkis & fer nuttin'

Post by Spam In A Can 26 »

I don't know how many of you have access to a shooting range (real firearms type), but if you do, or you know someone who knows someone & so on then I've got "zuch a deal" for you!

These are fired (& so utterly inert & 100% safe) cases from a firearm using the 17 HMR ammunition (It stands for Hornady Magnum Rim-fire 0.17"), they are 1.150" long, 0.288" wide at the rim, 0.244" at the base tapering to 0.192 at the open end of the neck. They ae very popular with target & pest shooters, so they are easy to find.

OK, so what you ask?
Well they'll be absolutely free as they are discarded after use so your "contact" can just snarf them up off the ground for you!
They're darn near perfect size scaled to a 1/16 model as fired main gun rounds! They're even correctly fouled, stained & weathered! The bottleneck may not be perfect for some tanks, but hey fer cheap its not a bad deal.

:O :clap:
Spam In A Can 26
Lance Corporal

Re: Free, bupkis & fer nuttin'

This: is the real HE for the 90mm. You can see the taper difference.
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Spam In A Can 26 wrote:This: is the real HE for the 90mm. You can see the taper difference.
Spam these look great!
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Spam In A Can 26
Lance Corporal

Thinking on it you might also be able to use .22RimFire, or .22 rim-fire magnum cases as well. Again they cant be reactivated after firing once so they 're basically little brass tins, nothing more. The .22's may be over sized at the pointy end though.
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

The shell casings on your Pershing look very convincing what do you charge for a lot of them shipped to the northeast...
Tanks alot.... :wave:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Unfortunately, the police and customs bods over here (Britain and much of Europe) take a dim view of folk possessing -and especially mailing- spent cartridges. Some can be refilled and fitted with new primers. When the Swiss police confiscated some .303 British shells from me recently, and even though it was plain that the rounds were actually inert, in international law they said, they still comprise 'part of a firearm'. I go shooting in Switzerland because in the UK you need to be a member of registered club, even to mess around with paintballs and BBs. Eventually, even tank airsoft guns will probably need licensing... :eh:
That said, I went to New York many years ago, and have a vivid memory of the digital meter in Times Square that counts the number of gun deaths in the US.... :shh:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Spam In A Can 26
Lance Corporal

Sorry I tried to be helpful, it wont happen again.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

It was very helpful, Spam. Please don't stop posting helpful ideas. Just because it doesn't help the guys in the UK with all the laws, it doesn't mean it won't help a lot of guys in other parts of the world. I know this is a uk-based forum but we have lots and lots of members worldwide who appreciate tips like this so please keep up the good work.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Yeah mate, help away.
Each nation has things peculiar to it, but that is no barrier to ideas and suggestions :thumbup:

I have some .243 ballistic capped projectiles I can use for 'warheads' on the end of spent shell cases, so your idea is great.

Looks good, and like you say- free(we like free)
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
capt midnight
Corporal

Post by capt midnight »

That was a fantastic idea. I'm trying to locate me some spent brass now!

Bill
"Yeah, but it's a dry heat!"
Private Hudson (Bill Paxton) ALIENS

Return to “Tips and Tricks”