Sterling T-26 tank transporter

Here is where you can show off your finished tanks and military vehicles, post pics and info on your arsenal!
Forum rules
If you're planning on posting a log of your build please use the relevant build sections.
tomhugill
Captain

Sterling T-26 tank transporter

Post by tomhugill »

I recently snaffled an r/c model of the Sterling T26 proto-type US Army tank transporter scratch built from aluminum and plastic.

The first axle and the rear 2 axles are driven through gear boxes made by myself using meccano gears (the wide ones) and miniature bearings.

The front 2 axles steer together like a turn table. the motor and gear box is from the Como range. Drive axle and suspension is from Tamiya truck range. Tyres are from Lego. So if anything goes bang all items are easily replaceable.

Chassis and trailer are made from aluminum. The cab is made from plastic. The ramps on the trailer are powered up and down by a motor under the trailer.

Hopefully get a video soon!

Rocketman
Sergeant

Re: Sterling T-26 tank transporter

Post by Rocketman »

Hot Damn thats cool. I know how big those Lego tyres are so that must be a monster!
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

I picked her up today, what a piece of model engineering, aside from the cab she's mostly alloy,, details ace, and despite my ham fisted attempts in the video she drives welll. I need to replace the diode and maybe limit switch on the ramps as they're slow in one direction but nothing big. The best part was the seller had the out of print bible for the t-26 signed by the author him self.

So some more pics and the promised video:

And the book:

[URL=http://s1070.photobucket.com/user/redwa ... r.jpg.html]Image[/URL

phpBB [video]
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

What an awesome find nice to see it in action! The rear ramps are very realistic and we'll articulated.
Tanks alot.... :wave:
OnTrack
Recruit

Post by OnTrack »

Wow those ramps! And clearly a lone dog bowl is no match for this T-26.. 8O

Are you doing another video with a tank backing it's way off those beautiful ramps by chance??
Jake79
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Jake79 »

I sure I remember glancing at this on eBay, didn't it have a tam pursing on the back. Nice buy tho Tom, can't say I've seen many of these about. Ian may have built one if memory serves.
Tamiya: 2 King Tigers
H/L,Taigen :Initial Tiger 1, Panzer III, Kv 2, Panther G, Bulldog, Leo 2A6
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

That is one hell of a model transporter, you did well getting your mitts on that. :thumbup:
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
971wright
2nd Lieutenant

Post by 971wright »

Hi Saw this model at a meeting in Nottingham (think rivetcounter organised it) its while ago 2009 , its the only one in the UK for sure. The lego tyres are a perfect size for the truck , I have them on my dragon wagon (its where I got the info from to use them) Tom has said I can bring this home at the next meeting to copy the trailer which is the same on the dragon wagon ,I have a modified Bruder trailer at the moment, so hopefully be able to copy the trailer for my dragon wagon.

regards pete
Attachments
DSCF1077 (350x197) (2).jpg
DSCF1077 (350x197) (2).jpg (138.27 KiB) Viewed 3930 times
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

In other news I've had some tanks up in the trailer, I even managed to get the tiger p on there!

i gave her a run out in the park, she seems to manage off road nicely, even the scrubby grass and quite a steep hill.

https://youtu.be/enqvgG5pq74
mcevoyi
2nd Lieutenant

Post by mcevoyi »

Hello Tom

That is just fabulous. .

what a wonderful find and looks to be a cracking build

Iain

Return to “Show Off”