Panda Hobby Panzer 38-t r/c Conversion

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
c.rainford73
Major

Re: Panda Hobby Panzer 38-t r/c Conversion

Post by c.rainford73 »

I've already started to assemble the lower hull and I will start to take photos of the necessary cuts to the panels to fit all the electronics and the gearboxes. Last night I had to knock out two boxes behind the front plate in order to make room for the gear boxes so I will post those pictures up tonight and then the big challenge is to cut the sides of the lower Hull where the upper Hull will connect
Tanks alot.... :wave:
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

OK so I opened the kit and started to assemble the road wheels idlers and suspension in preparation for the RC conversion kit.

I ordered a metric drill bit kit ( everything here in the states is in inches) Image to make all the holes and Axels roll smoothly.

Here are the wheels and idlers. They will need sanding and the drilling.

The holes were cut in the hull to accept the conversion of the gearboxes

The suspension is going to be rubber and steel and functional so the plastic leaf springs had to go

I added some rear hull details

Then everyone of these gets drilled with a 1mm bitImage

I must admit I'm enjoying this kit and the electronics are still weeks away. The quality is very good and the fit and finish is absolutely spot onImage
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good evening,
This looks like a lot of fun ( a 'lot' of fun in some case like the tracks but still fun ) Following along, my friend.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

PainlessWolf wrote:Good evening,
This looks like a lot of fun ( a 'lot' of fun in some case like the tracks but still fun ) Following along, my friend.
regards,
Painless
Thank you Mr Painless let me start by saying I hope you are feeling betterImage

I'd say this build is the polar opposite of your big beautiful heavy metal tank destroyer you have under construction but maybe as much fun in a small light plasticised wayImage

Carl
B_Man
Corporal

Post by B_Man »

Chris Ludwig does an aluminium hull insert for these kits if you are interested in an easy way to make it RC ready.
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

B_Man wrote:Chris Ludwig does an aluminium hull insert for these kits if you are interested in an easy way to make it RC ready.
Excellent news I'll check it out! Thank you
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Tonight I continued to tinker with preparing the upper and lower hulls for the RC conversion.

The top and bottom are only dry fit so as to facilitate adding parts as needed and making sure everything lines up.

I am expecting a few orders tomorrow for the necessary tools to dissect and drill all as needed.

Sanding is required and all the big parts are tested as not to be glued until the Rc parts arrive in a few weeks.

Once I seperate the hulls properly I will take before and after pictures. Then bracing will be added this weekend as per the 35rctank instructions.Image

Carl
tao
Staff Sergeant

Post by tao »

How cool! Love it!
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Soeren »

This kit looks really nice. Is there interior available for it, I m asking because of all the rivets inside the hull. Do you have any detail comparison of this 1/16 kit compared to the better 1/35 kits? I guess it is not on par with the dragon stuff of late, but maybe close?
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Soeren wrote:This kit looks really nice. Is there interior available for it, I m asking because of all the rivets inside the hull. Do you have any detail comparison of this 1/16 kit compared to the better 1/35 kits? I guess it is not on par with the dragon stuff of late, but maybe close?
Soeren I would have to say the kit is very nice. I've been building 1:35 for any years and have to say this is very close to the quality of the last Tamiya 1:35 Panzer iv I built. The rivets on the surface have the extension coming through the other side. I'll send you some pics of the details tonight. I've seen these 1:16 kits for many years and had no idea of the quality until I purchased it. To be honest if it wasn't going to be converted to Rc I'd be very proud of it as a static kit. The fit and finish is on par with some of the better 1:35 kits I've built. Image

Return to “Other Builds”