HL smoker pump replaced with a fan

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
Jake79
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: HL smoker pump replaced with a fan

Post by Jake79 »

Very nice Mr crispy and yours Ralph. It's been so long since I've used H/L smoke unit I've forgotten the rules..is it 2/3ml's oils lasts 15 mins?
I'll wait for a price first, I don't think to much of my tarr smokers so be good to try one of these and cheaper if you can run on baby oil.
Tamiya: 2 King Tigers
H/L,Taigen :Initial Tiger 1, Panzer III, Kv 2, Panther G, Bulldog, Leo 2A6
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Jake79 wrote:Very nice Mr crispy and yours Ralph. It's been so long since I've used H/L smoke unit I've forgotten the rules..is it 2/3ml's oils lasts 15 mins?
I'll wait for a price first, I don't think to much of my tarr smokers so be good to try one of these and cheaper if you can run on baby oil.
Honestly I have no clue of how much oil and how much time lasts... I just put a few drops on it and I run it until I see less smoke coming out of the pipes. Then is time to refill again. It takes a lot of time.

About the baby oil, day by day is getting harder to find it. Its not very good for babys. But a bottle should last you for your tank club, your entire life and beyond.

And yeah, dont forget that the oil should be the one made of parafine. Those new baby BIO oils made with almonds and things like that wont work.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
siegfried
Lance Corporal

Post by siegfried »

Great mod, I find the HL coils burn out all the time, do you make your own coil?
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

I use a 10 ohm 1 watt wire wound resistor.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Jake79
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Jake79 »

Rad_Schuhart wrote:
Jake79 wrote:Very nice Mr crispy and yours Ralph. It's been so long since I've used H/L smoke unit I've forgotten the rules..is it 2/3ml's oils lasts 15 mins?
Honestly I have no clue of how much oil and how much time lasts... I just put a few drops on it and I run it until I see less smoke coming out of the pipes. Then is time to refill again. It takes a lot of time.

About the baby oil, day by day is getting harder to find it. Its not very good for babys. But a bottle should last you for your tank club, your entire life and beyond.

And yeah, dont forget that the oil should be the one made of parafine. Those new baby BIO oils made with almonds and things like that wont work.
This Stuff, easy to get hold of in UK..would deff last a few months/yr's :D
Ingredients:
[FPT1350], Paraffinum Liquidum, Isopropyl Palmitate, Parfum
Tamiya: 2 King Tigers
H/L,Taigen :Initial Tiger 1, Panzer III, Kv 2, Panther G, Bulldog, Leo 2A6
Rocketman
Sergeant

Post by Rocketman »

The smoke unit Crispy built and showed above is now in my newest build a T34 85 and nicely ( and more importantly quietly) chucking out copious amount of smoke into my living room.

Well done Crispy, just two more for me please, good news is the Space 1999 Eagle laser tank doesn't need any!
tanker 242
Corporal

Post by tanker 242 »

hi crispy, I have done a smoker like yours the mk 2 version but am only getting smoke from one outlet if I put my finger over the outlet the smoke comes out of the other outlet so I know there is no blockage in the tubes maybe I didn't make the hole in the smoke box big enough as you say 10mm tanker 242
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

tanker 242 wrote:hi crispy, I have done a smoker like yours the mk 2 version but am only getting smoke from one outlet if I put my finger over the outlet the smoke comes out of the other outlet so I know there is no blockage in the tubes maybe I didn't make the hole in the smoke box big enough as you say 10mm tanker 242
I did the same thing and had the same single pipe effect. I took it back apart and opened the hole more and it works perfectly now through both tubes!Image
Tanks alot.... :wave:
tanker 242
Corporal

Post by tanker 242 »

thanks rainford 73 I thought that was the problem but needed to be sure ,so I will open up the hole to 10 mm tanker 242
capt midnight
Corporal

Post by capt midnight »

I've done this mod to a couple of my smokers. Works fantastic! Now I'm gonna have to put the smokers back in the rest of my tanks!

Bill
"Yeah, but it's a dry heat!"
Private Hudson (Bill Paxton) ALIENS

Return to “Tips and Tricks”