HL smoker pump replaced with a fan

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
Crispy
Sergeant

HL smoker pump replaced with a fan

Post by Crispy »

Check out the link below for the results. I've taken build pics so I'll write up and post them later ;)

https://youtu.be/T-izxKeBgvU

Regards
Nic

www.crispyandtherocketman.com
You aint gettin me on no plane fool!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: HL smoker pump replaced with a fan

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

A quite ingenious modding of the standard HL smoker. :thumbup: That hideous characteristic clanking sound the HL pump makes, can ruin the initial impact of all the tanks it lurks in :thumbdown: . The Start up sound: Promising. Then...the clanking begins. I'm sure it could be used instead of waterboarding as a form of torment, or torture. You seem to have found a perfect solution to the problem, although we now have Tarr models out there to ease the anguish of that HL noise nuisance.
Presumably, all you have there is a small heating element, a reservoir, and the fan. Very simple. :thumbup: Perhaps you could post the mod for the general behoof; I'm sure many would like to avail themselves of it, if it works consistently without unwanted side-effects (small electronically generated fires, burnouts, etc..)
Congratulations on your tastefully configured website, by the way. It was wee feast for the ageing peepers.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

43rdRecceReg wrote:A quite ingenious modding of the standard HL smoker. :thumbup: That hideous characteristic clanking sound the HL pump makes, can ruin the initial impact of all the tanks it lurks in :thumbdown: . The Start up sound: Promising. Then...the clanking begins. I'm sure it could be used instead of waterboarding as a form of torment, or torture. You seem to have found a perfect solution to the problem, although we now have Tarr models out there to ease the anguish of that HL noise nuisance.
Presumably, all you have there is a small heating element, a reservoir, and the fan. Very simple. :thumbup: Perhaps you could post the mod for the general behoof; I'm sure many would like to avail themselves of it, if it works consistently without unwanted side-effects (small electronically generated fires, burnouts, etc..)
Congratulations on your tastefully configured website, by the way. It was wee feast for the ageing peepers.
Its quite common mod. Buy a 25mm fan for half a pound and replace the pump.
phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Way more smoke than a Tarr,half space and ultra chap.

Using baby oil as fuel.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Yes, but ingenious nonetheless, Rad.The knife and fork are quite ubiquitous, but still a clever concept. :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Crispy
Sergeant

Post by Crispy »

Funny you posted that Rad, the Mk2 uses that exact layout and 25mm fan!

But here's how the mk1 went together.

Started by removing the whole unit from a HL tank and undoing the 2 screws that hold the smoke box to the pump tray. I've also cut the red and black wires that run into the pump motor. The whole pump, tray and piston can be put in your bits box as they aren't needed (I rarely throw anything away)!

Next I cut off the piston tube at apx 45 degrees making sure the screw mounts are still intact.

Get your 30mm square 12v fan (.99p on eBay) and test it to ensure you know which way it's blowing. Sounds daft but I mostly superglue these together so it's a major PITA if you get it wrong. All mine have have blown towards the label so place it label side down.

Using a couple of 3mm bolts (screws etc whatever you have to hand) bolt the fan to the 2 screw mounts. These were a little too long so I dremelled off the excess.

I then cut a strip of .5mm plasticard as wide as the fan (30mm) and superglue it carefully to one edge. Make sure no glue gets onto the fan!

Bend it around the bottom of the piston tube (I put a dab of s.glue here too) and up to the other side of the fan. Cut off the excess. Notice the gaps? We'll sort those later.

Now glue another bit of the plasticard strip over the end making sure all the edges line up with no gaps. A bit of extra glue should fill any you find. You could cut the end to follow the curve around the piston tube but I find its best to leave it square so it'll stand up on its own.

Now for the gaps. Cut a final piece of plasticard with a section removed that will fit over the piston tube. It'll look like this.

All glued up.

Last thing to do is solder the black & red fan wires to the corresponding wires that ran to the pump. With that done I screwed the PCB to the underside so it was out of the way, this also screws the bottom section of plasticard to the piston tube for added strength.

All done and ready to test as seen in the YouTube clip above :) Once you're happy it works you can refit into your tank using the single original screw mount on the bottom of the smoke box.

Regards
Nic

http://www.crispyandtherocketman.com
Crispy
Sergeant

Post by Crispy »

The mk2 was even simpler with a 12v 25mm fan. This time completely remove the piston tube and file it flush. Open out the air hole to apx 10mm.

Superglue the fan label side down over the hole and fill any gaps! This time I ditched the PCB and just soldered all the red wires together followed by the black wires. Don't forget the heat shrink insulation!

And that's it!

Works a treat and doesn't seem to have any issues as long as you don't over fill the smoke box with oil!

After 30 seconds my kitchen started to resemble a Who concert! Can't wait to try out the baby oil Rad suggested :)

Shouldn't be any over heating or melting issues as that's all contained with original HL parts.

If anyone's interested I may start selling these once I have a price worked out. Drop me a PM.

Cheers
Nic

http://www.crispyandtherocketman.com
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Nic, that smoker of yours is a nice piece of kit. Also saved you a good bit of coin, eh? I'd like to introduce you to an RC tanker that's taught me quite a bit about the subject. Have you heard of Stormin' Normand, The King of Smoke? As long as you've been around I'd be surprised if you haven't, but I'll proceed as though you never heard of him, K? You obviously have the talent, Nic, I really think that you need to check out this thread. I think it may take you to whole new places. I'll post the video here, but the thread has pretty much complete assembly info. Might give you some ideas. Just the name, "Acoustic Smoker" kind of piques the curiosity if you're not familiar with it, don't ya think? And you don't have to be registered at RCU to read the thread, only if you want to ask questions. In case you're already registered at RCU, my user name there is Crius.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tank ... ition.html

phpBB [video]

I've messed about a bit myself, and put a better resistor and a fan in addition to the pump in my Jagdpanther. You've probably seen this tank before, eh?

phpBB [video]

:thumbup: :wave:
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Crispy
Sergeant

Post by Crispy »

Thanks Max, I'll check those out. Seems once you get bitten by the smoke bug, you can really fall down the rabbit hole!

Nic
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Max-U52 wrote:Nic, that smoker of yours is a nice piece of kit. Also saved you a good bit of coin, eh? I'd like to introduce you to an RC tanker that's taught me quite a bit about the subject. Have you heard of Stormin' Normand, The King of Smoke? As long as you've been around I'd be surprised if you haven't, but I'll proceed as though you never heard of him, K? You obviously have the talent, Nic, I really think that you need to check out this thread. I think it may take you to whole new places. I'll post the video here, but the thread has pretty much complete assembly info. Might give you some ideas. Just the name, "Acoustic Smoker" kind of piques the curiosity if you're not familiar with it, don't ya think? And you don't have to be registered at RCU to read the thread, only if you want to ask questions. In case you're already registered at RCU, my user name there is Crius.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tank ... ition.html

phpBB [video]

I've messed about a bit myself, and put a better resistor and a fan in addition to the pump in my Jagdpanther. You've probably seen this tank before, eh?

phpBB [video]

:thumbup: :wave:
Bon Dieu,
That thing smokes like an opium den, Gary (or a Rastaman's idea of a chilled weekend..! :haha: ).. Now.. what flavour of smoke is that, by the way..and..is it legal?? :haha:

Mr Crispy, many thanks for your fulsome pictorial exposition of making smoke on the cheap! :thumbup:
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Crispy: I was going to say that you were doing a lot of useless extra work in your V1 mod, but then I saw your V2 :D

The V2 is like mine, is small and nice. I did not need to make a bigger hole in the smoker box. Also Im using 5v fan, so I had to install a small resistor, but for the next time I will buy some 12V fans like you did.

I learnt something new!
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/

Return to “Tips and Tricks”