Taigen Early Tiger 1

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
SgtMalarky
Lance Corporal

Re: Taigen Early Tiger 1

Post by SgtMalarky »

Hi Louis
These tracks are metal so would you use a primer before the flat black?

Pete
Question: "how many tanks does one person need?"
Answer: "one more than they already have"
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Oh, I do not really know if it makes a difference in the end. But keep in mind that adding a lot of rust pigments may leave a trail of pigments on the way no matter how you added them. I would not run them on the house carpet.
SgtMalarky
Lance Corporal

Post by SgtMalarky »

What i have created is well muddied tracks. It really seems to be anchored on pretty well. Once i freed the links i did get some lumps fall off, but now the loose stuff is gone I am pretty happy. The photo colour does not reflect the finish. The photo looks more like rust but in reality it is quite a good dried mud finish.
88-bait
Private

Post by 88-bait »

What I do for caked on mud is to use PVA and a Humbrol light brown of your choice. Mud usually dries on the outer limits first, so a darker shade for the middle of the wheel would be useful after the lighter shade has dried. I use it on my Sherman's and it stays put, yet can be peeled off should you need a refinish later on. Of course, fuel and oil spills go over it all, in the right places. Its actually a mucky old job, but a bit of fun, applied with a pretty big brush and will dilute a bit in water, so it gets everywhere, even in the track slots, but it don't drop out on the carpet! :D :thumbup:
SgtMalarky
Lance Corporal

Post by SgtMalarky »

I take your point on how the mud dries. I will now modify my wheel colours. Here is where i am at with the wheels and tracks back in place. The rust and mud splashes look OK on the spare tracks. Just need to muddy the lower half of the spare tracks a bit.
Attachments
IMG_0225.JPG
IMG_0225.JPG (81.1 KiB) Viewed 3246 times
IMG_0227.JPG
IMG_0227.JPG (73.31 KiB) Viewed 3246 times
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

That's mud effect's very convincing, it looks great. Hope it holds up while running!
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Impressive and inspiring. I never had the guts to do this to my tanks. I'll keep an eye on the progress.
Tiggr
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tiggr »

Nicely done Sarg.
Looks the business. :thumbup:
Tiger 1 Early Taigen,
Tiger 1 Mid Torro,
Tiger 1 Late Taigen,
King Tiger Taigen (P)
Jagdtiger Torro
King Tiger (H)
King Tiger Torro (H)
Tiger 1 late Torro
Panther G Taigen
SgtMalarky
Lance Corporal

Post by SgtMalarky »

Thanks Guys
This is something i always wanted to do and am really enjoying it. To be honest it took me a while to pluck up the nerve to start and i had a bit of a problem with tracks and stripped redid them. But once i got going confidence grew.

I know its a bit premature, but this is what it looks like so far rebuilt. I have since stripped it down again to start the next phase. I am using Vallejo 995 as this the recommended but it does seem a bit dark, although my reference material tells me this the case. I would be interested in anyones thoughts and similar experiences.

Pete
Attachments
IMG_0233.JPG
IMG_0233.JPG (53.73 KiB) Viewed 3200 times
SgtMalarky
Lance Corporal

Post by SgtMalarky »

Next stage before adding Aber Feifel deck pipes. I do not want to keep pulling the pipes off as per the plastic ones that came with the tank, so I have fitted 4 mm dia magnets into the air cleaners and small screw heads into the pipes. I will do some thing similar once i have completed the deck pipes, not sure what the solution for that will be until I have assembled the Aber kit. I will clean up the faces and fill the gaps ready for painting.
With regard to the Aber I am thinking wrap them around an 8 mm bar or tube. This seems to be about the right size. It will make them sturdy and durable. I am thinking to fit them permanently to the deck and only the pipes then will be removable.

As always, I am open to advice on this.

Peter
Attachments
IMG_0247.JPG
IMG_0247.JPG (33.96 KiB) Viewed 3153 times

Return to “Other Builds”