M1A2 Tusk machine gun

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
AshMann
Corporal

M1A2 Tusk machine gun

Post by AshMann »

Why is their a MG above the barrel and how is it fired from that position?
Attachments
h2.jpg
h2.jpg (61.47 KiB) Viewed 382 times
jq3vk6.jpg
" ...use a gun. And if that don't work ...use more gun" - Engineer from Team Fortress 2
HL: 2 M4A3 105s , Panther ausf G, M41
Taigen: Tiger 1
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Re: M1A2 Tusk machine gun

Post by AlwynTurner »

This is just a guess but possibly it is fired remotely by the tank gunner and is mounted on the barrel to utilise the auto stabilisation and infra red aiming of the main gun whilst on the move? There are a number of m1 experts on the forum who can probably provide a better explanation/more detail.
Alwyn
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
AshMann
Corporal

Post by AshMann »

AlwynTurner wrote:This is just a guess but possibly it is fired remotely by the tank gunner and is mounted on the barrel to utilise the auto stabilisation and infra red aiming of the main gun whilst on the move? There are a number of m1 experts on the forum who can probably provide a better explanation/more detail.
Alwyn
Ah i see, thanks, its always confused me.
" ...use a gun. And if that don't work ...use more gun" - Engineer from Team Fortress 2
HL: 2 M4A3 105s , Panther ausf G, M41
Taigen: Tiger 1
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

I am NO Abrams expert but I have learned a lot during my Abrams build and will be including this installation on my tank.

It is the "Counter Sniper / Anti Material Mount" manufactured by Gunmasters Defense System LLC.
It can be used as pictured with the 12.7mm M2HB or a 7.62mm M240B. It is as Alwyn said a "remotely operated" it can be operated by either the tank commander or gunner form the safety of the turret armor. Using the main gun aiming systems the 12.7mm is accurate out to 2000m.

Barry

Photo provided for educational purposes only under the Fair Use Act.

"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci

Return to “General Questions”