Anybody tackled a scratch built JS2?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Anybody tackled a scratch built JS2?

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hi having spent a considerable time building and kitting up the Nashorn, I was quietly pondering what to look at next and noticed that apart from the Tamiya offering (at about £600) there didn't seem to be much happening with the JS2. From the spec it looks a pretty mean piece of kit and I wondered whether a build based on a KV1 chassis (modified where necessary) would work. I notice dingding has a KV1 chassis for less than £40 and it might give me something to tinker with over the summer. Anybody working on this at the minute? ??? ??? ???

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
tomhugill
Captain

Re: Anybody tackled a scratch built JS2?

Post by tomhugill »

Franks modelbau do a flat pack(ish) kit which looks good. I've not seen a scratch one before though
Jake79
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Jake79 »

I've got a metal hull minus a one suspension arm you could have for £30 if it suits.
Tamiya: 2 King Tigers
H/L,Taigen :Initial Tiger 1, Panzer III, Kv 2, Panther G, Bulldog, Leo 2A6
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Thanks jake I'm still thinking it through at the minute but if I decide to go ahead I'll pm you.

Alwyn

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
mcevoyi
2nd Lieutenant

Post by mcevoyi »

Yes js 2
Was done on here a couple of times now by me members long gone ,,
Most of the Js tanks seem to have been done on the kv chassis
As one time of another ,,
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

I have a poor man's JS-2 using Heng Long KV lower with suspension mod, wheel covers from Junkenburg's JS-3 kit, upper from Tamiya and the turret is a mod Juckenburg KV-85 with a 122mm barrel as an early JS-2. Not pretty, and almost as much as a Tamiya at the end, but just can't see myself paying close to $2,000 CAD for a full option kit.
DSCN1159.JPG
Attachments
DSCN1161.JPG
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

The result looks pretty impressive Michael, nice looking tank.
Alwyn

c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Michael that is one fantastic looking tank. I'm rebuilding a Heng Long lower hull and wanted to know about your suspension modification.

Well done
Tanks alot.... :wave:
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

Thanks guys....... The suspension mod is actually from Mr. Junkenburg, as he sells the JS-3 kit that uses a HL KV chassis. Basically what you do is put a piece of square styrene into the bogie wheel travel, so this will lower the actual chassis and reduce the wheel travel, but gives you the desire look of the IS chassis. Here is a mod HL KV chassis, with the return roller relocated to between bogies, spacer into all the bogies travel, and JS wheel covers on all of them including the sprockets and idlers.
DSCN0571a.jpg
The effect is quite convincing but you lose suspension travel. Here is a better picture of what it looks like on a tank (In this case the JS-3 but the JS-2 is identical in terms of the lower)
DSCN0581.JPG
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

AlwynTurner wrote:I wondered whether a build based on a KV1 chassis (modified where necessary) would work.
In addition to being longer, the IS-2 hull is also about 30 centimetres narrower than the KV-1 hull (if memory serves). Would cutting a Heng Long hull longitudinally be doable?

Also the potential for an ISU-152 or -122 from the same hull too! o-
MichaelC wrote:Basically what you do is put a piece of square styrene into the bogie wheel travel, so this will lower the actual chassis and reduce the wheel travel, but gives you the desire look of the IS chassis. Here is a mod HL KV chassis, with the return roller relocated to between bogies, spacer into all the bogies travel, and JS wheel covers on all of them including the sprockets and idlers.
I'd never noticed the different in stance height between the KV and IS, and it's actually pretty striking. Nice work on the suspension mod, it definitely looks the part.

Return to “General Questions”