Oddball

Here is where you can show off your finished tanks and military vehicles, post pics and info on your arsenal!
Forum rules
If you're planning on posting a log of your build please use the relevant build sections.
doc larsson
Staff Sergeant

Re: Oddball

Post by doc larsson »

brilliant work.what sort of bass do you have ? i'm an ibanez man.
ausf
Lance Corporal

Post by ausf »

doc larsson wrote:brilliant work.what sort of bass do you have ? i'm an ibanez man.
Thanks Doc.

I'm still kicking myself for selling a fretless Ibanez Roadster about 12 years ago. It had such good action, even guitarists would drool over it. Believe it or not, I sold it to buy a Tamiya Tiger I.

These days I play a EB Music Man StingRay through GK and German double through the air. :D

I have an Ibanez acoustic that I modified a bit, has an amazing tone with bronze strings.
What, me worry?
doc larsson
Staff Sergeant

Post by doc larsson »

snap!

i'm still using my roadster 2 with active p-ups. used to have an ibanez musician fretless and it sounded great.pity the strings bite into the neck my fav bass was my alembic a la stanley clarke wot a beast that was. one body job with a huge steel rod down the neck very hard to play standing up but sitting down great slap bass.back to models.i'm gonna need to do karl otto again after seeing your stunning work. What brushes do you use ?
ausf
Lance Corporal

Post by ausf »

doc larsson wrote:snap!

i'm still using my roadster 2 with active p-ups. used to have an ibanez musician fretless and it sounded great.pity the strings bite into the neck my fav bass was my alembic a la stanley clarke wot a beast that was. one body job with a huge steel rod down the neck very hard to play standing up but sitting down great slap bass.back to models.i'm gonna need to do karl otto again after seeing your stunning work. What brushes do you use ?
I played School Days on an Alembic once. I remember my shoulder hurting for a day or so after. My friend has one, I call it 'the boat anchor'. Too heavy, too many switches for me.

Slap is really all I do now since I mostly cover RHCP and Flea used MMs most of his career. The StingRay has such a great design for it with pickup position.

I use Windsor and Newton Series 7s and Vallejo acrylics. I primarily sculpt, figure painting is something I rarely even try, but I saw a new line of paints Vallejo is producing called Nocturna. I bought the sets and a wet palette, dug the brushes out and gave them a try. I having fun with it, so I'll mess around some more. I was basically just testing out the sculpt before I finish the busts. It's hard to see any surface issues or weirdness in the white clay, so casting up some copies and getting paint on it helps.
What, me worry?
doc larsson
Staff Sergeant

Post by doc larsson »

boat anchor love it. taking it to the studio was a pain in the ass when it was front heavy in its case. the stingray is a great bass never owned one but really good to play.
ausf
Lance Corporal

Post by ausf »

Got a better pic since I set up a booth:
ko6.jpg
ko6.jpg (17.42 KiB) Viewed 2238 times
What, me worry?
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

ausf wrote:
doc larsson wrote:brilliant work.what sort of bass do you have ? i'm an ibanez man.
Thanks Doc.

I'm still kicking myself for selling a fretless Ibanez Roadster about 12 years ago. It had such good action, even guitarists would drool over it. Believe it or not, I sold it to buy a Tamiya Tiger I.

These days I play a EB Music Man StingRay through GK and German double through the air. :D

I have an Ibanez acoustic that I modified a bit, has an amazing tone with bronze strings.
An interesting diversion, Boys. Having smallish hands I use an Ibanez ART100B short scale bass and a fun Hofner Violin bass for recording and nostalgia. One room has always been set aside for recording; but it's now being invaded by tanks :O (I've been at that since the days of Revox B77s, and still have a Teac A3440. Currently using a 32-Track hard disc recording system...KorgD32 with Alesis outboard effects units). I've been writing and recording music for over 40 years; but have always found a little time for other interests- but only just. Still have to pinch myself when I find myself drooling over a Tamiya tank. Would never have believed it. years ago :eh:
Mainly I'm a guitarist and play from folk (fingerstyle, Carterpicking etc.m) through to jazz, blues and rock. For that I use: a Fender Strat; Takamine electro-acoustic; Ovation 12-string; and a Danelectro electric 12-string (Wanted a Rickenbacker electric 12-string but they're really expensive. You can blame the Beatles and the Byrds for that :D )
Had a Fender Jazz bass for many years, and a budget full-scale Ibanez but I can't stretch in the way i used to.. :thumbdown:
Always good to encounter fellow bass-nuts. Incidentally, If i had £1000 going spareand a choice between a Tamiya, or a great bass or 6-string... guess what would win? Well..not the Tamiya, anyway.. though the decision's getting more difficult to make at the wishlist level :wave:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
ausf
Lance Corporal

Post by ausf »

I'm lucky that I have a pretty big stretch and maintain it on the upright and StingRay. I have a Fender Tele that I mess around with (mostly The Ventures), my hands are big enough to pull off reaching the thumb over for the top of the chords ala Hendrix and Frusiante. I play that through a Bassman with Danelectro pedals.

I hear ya regarding what's out there today, it's amazing. I have an Apogee interface that goes through an iPad with a $5 GK emulation app and it saves lugging around a mess of gear, so the GK rigs stay put.

I'm from the school of listening to the vinyl over and over, lay 4 tracks on a Fostex and that was it. My kids can sample, slow down recordings, pull up charts and tabs all in seconds on a single device.

I don't know what happened that Ricks became so popular and expensive, they were considered entry level in my day. 4001s were everywhere, I bought my first from the original Sam Ash on 48th Street for $340 with hardcase back in 1980. That and a set of Moog bass pedals and you were good to go.

These days it's really just covering Flea, I don't take the double out much anymore. Summertime is Metallica and the Ramones on a concert Uke.
What, me worry?
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

They look FANTASTIC! Now you just need to convert a T34 into a Tiger and slap a loud speaker on the side of a Sherman turret and you'll be all set!
Markocaster
Staff Sergeant

Post by Markocaster »

They look fantastic Ausf :thumbup: well done
HL /Mato tiger 1 early, Tamiya Tiger 1 early, Taigen tiger 1 mid
Taigen T34/85, HL SU-100
Jagdpanzer Lang
Taiga Jagdpanther
Heng Long Sherman DGS Firefly kit
Tamiya King Tiger (unbuilt)
Mato all metal Panzer III