Second hand Taigen Panzer IV F2

Fixes and mods for the HL Panzer IV
lifeofbrian
Lance Corporal

Second hand Taigen Panzer IV F2

Post by lifeofbrian »

I have just acquired a second hand Panzer IV with metal tracks and (cheap) metal gearbox. It needs some attention and as I do with all my RC's I will like to make it unique and fairly realistic. I'll start by fixing a few things then give it a weathered paint job. I'm not going for absolute accuracy, just a decent tank.

Things to do:
Find and fix firing problem(see vid)http://sendvid.com/0pu1soae
Replace broken Cupola.
Replace broken tow cable holders.
Replace or make small top hatch. Anyone know where I can buy one, I haven't ever seen one for sale?
Add turret machine gun.
Remove mantle LED.
Fix or upgrade headlights.
Find replacement tools for the broken and missing ones.

Future mods:
Upgrade radio.
Proportional Turret mod.
Smoke upgrade.
Sound upgrade.
Rear convoy light.
Correct the mantlet which looks more like a Panzer III mantlet. (looks like a lot of work)

I love this tank in War Thunder, as you can see by my avatar.
Last edited by lifeofbrian on Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:53 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Taigen Panver IV F2 // Taigen Pantiger
lifeofbrian
Lance Corporal

Re: Second hand Taigen Panzer IV F2

Post by lifeofbrian »

Need to fill these holes

Replace the cupola with a metal one

Took me a while to get this apart, it just needed a good tug (don't we all) :haha:

I'll get metal replacements for the tow cable holders
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Well, life of Python,
there are a number of highly detailed PZ IV threads lurking in the archive here, just waiting to be dusted off..and while their respective briefs might not match your own exactly, nonetheless you should find the aims and methods described and illustrated in them very relevant:-
Here's Philipat's magnum opus, the PZ IV ausf G build (Africa Korps)..
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=13969&p=128831&hil ... et#p128831

Then there's this lengthy contribution from KTRob (Ausf F1 to H conversion):
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=14348&hilit=Panzer+4+mantlet

In addition, Jarndice (Shaun) on this forum is a well informed (and supportive) enthusiast, and worth following (archive- wise) in matters related to the Panzer IV. His advice is often sage like.
The Cupola is easy and cheap to replace, by the way. It's the same as the one on the Pz iii. It should just twist off, if not judicious use of a sharp knife will do the trick (and your fingers if you're not careful..)
And now for something completely different... :haha: :wave:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

LoB Hi, First of all I heartily endorse Roy's (43RR) praise of "Phillipats" PZ4 build, I am certainly not the only member of this Forum who has been impressed by the quality of his work,
For the moment I will restrict myself to just two sites that might be helpful, ----
http://www.shapeways.com
Then type in "ALL PRODUCTS TAGGED 1/16",
"Wibbly" (Warren) of this Forum Prints some great PZ4 Spares for Shapeways that adorn my PZ4s including working Front and rear Fenders, You can also get a replacement Mantlet as well as cableholders,
I warn you Shapeways is a bit like a bag of peanuts, You can't stop once you start. You can even get a 1/16 full detail Maybach 120 engine for your Tank if you don't mind parting with £130 :lolno:
You mentioned the rear convoy light which makes me wonder if you have thought about a "Notek front light which you will find at any dealer selling the convoy light.
As to the Radio because of the restricted space in a PZ4 I would suggest the CLARK Board it fits inside the Heng Long RX18 holder whereas the other boards are all bigger,,
The second site I would recommend is----
http://www.heng-long-panzer.de
You need to click on the German flag and up pops the Union flag with an English language translation,
Again a lot to see and is also a place to buy a CLARK board, (I got mine from here)
I will watch your build with great interest.
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
lifeofbrian
Lance Corporal

Post by lifeofbrian »

Cheers RecceReg, lots of good info there. :D
Last edited by lifeofbrian on Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
lifeofbrian
Lance Corporal

Post by lifeofbrian »

Cheers Jarndice, great links, so many parts on that German site that I need, good prices too. :D
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Hi, If you go to ----
www.an-bri-rc-modellbau.de
They have PZ 111/PZ4 Cupola hatch lids in metal for 06.95 Euros,
Working Notek rear convoy lights for 09. Euros,
Working Notek front lights for 09. Euros,
When you are on this site it is easy to get confused between working and non working Notek lights so take care.

If you go to -----
www.axels-modellbau-shop.de
They have a Schumo MG 34 Cupola mount, ( I have built one of these and they are a bit fiddly but brilliant when it is finished BUT you will need a PIN VISE) For 14.95 Euros,
They also sell a Schumo Metal MG 34 which fits into the mount at 14.95 Euros. I Hope that helps.
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
lifeofbrian
Lance Corporal

Post by lifeofbrian »

Already found the second site, but not the first, some rare bits on there, thanks. :D
jarndice wrote:Hi, If you go to ----
http://www.an-bri-rc-modellbau.de
They have PZ 111/PZ4 Cupola hatch lids in metal for 06.95 Euros,
Working Notek rear convoy lights for 09. Euros,
Working Notek front lights for 09. Euros,
When you are on this site it is easy to get confused between working and non working Notek lights so take care.

If you go to -----
http://www.axels-modellbau-shop.de
They have a Schumo MG 34 Cupola mount, ( I have built one of these and they are a bit fiddly but brilliant when it is finished BUT you will need a PIN VISE) For 14.95 Euros,
They also sell a Schumo Metal MG 34 which fits into the mount at 14.95 Euros. I Hope that helps.
Shaun.
lifeofbrian
Lance Corporal

Post by lifeofbrian »

Which is the correct MG34 for the mantlet MG, they look different to me.
http://www.axels-modellbau-shop.de/kata ... :5488.html
http://www.axels-modellbau-shop.de/kata ... :5888.html

Is this the correct antenna that goes on the right of the turret?
http://www.axels-modellbau-shop.de/kata ... :3919.html
Last edited by lifeofbrian on Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

When you say turret MG do you mean the cupola MG or the mantlet MG? In an event, I think the examples you have picked are in fact intended for the hull mounted gun.

Generally tanks were equipped with the armoured barrel, which is the second link you have given. However, as indicated, neither gun is capable of "firing"as the barrels are solid, so you would lose that function. If it is the mantlet gun you are referring to, very little of that protrudes so it does not really make much difference.

For the cupola MG34, what jarndice has suggested would be the way to go.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D

Return to “HL Panzer IV”