Comet A34 Scratch build

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
wibblywobbly
Major

Comet A34 Scratch build

Post by wibblywobbly »

For no other reason than I have sheets of styrene and a 3D printer, I have decided to have a go at scratch building a Comet A34. Despite the box shape, it will be neither easy or quick, so don't expect rapid progress, quite apart from which I am clean out of printer filament, and need new nozzles from Australia. :|

I have cut out the hull side panels so that's one job done, and have another piece done for the hull base. A test fit of HL gearboxes miraculously allows them to be bolted to the hull floor and the shafts will line up with where the sprockets should be.

The road wheels are my current challenge. I could use Bulldog/Pershing/Leopard wheels, but they are 800mm on the real thing, which makes them the same size as Tiger roadwheels, so quite a bit bigger. I am currently trying to design wheels as one piece two wheel setups, with recesses for bolt heads and a roller bearing. If I could find a way to obtain rubber rims that would fit that would be the icing on the cake, maybe Tamiya Tiger ones might fit? If that doesn't work, the cheap and cheerful option might be to get hold of Tiger wheels and print inserts to turn them into the Comet design. I could then use Tiger suspension arms and save the hassle of printing those. :clap:

A couple of pics, ignore the print quality, I am using up the dregs of some old filament that is never going to give me a good finish in a million years.
Attachments
IMG_20161228_131407.jpg
IMG_20161228_131347.jpg
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
tomhugill
Captain

Re: Comet A34 Scratch build

Post by tomhugill »

Hey Rob, my Cromwell uses Taigen metal suspension arms with some small modification for the suspension Spring. The wheels are looking excellent! The tyres on mine are what looks like a rubber tube of correct diameter cut down to thickness. Are you planning on using pz iv tracks? If so the gap between the wheel halves looks on the narrow side for the guide horns.
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

I have a couple of PzIII track links so tested the setup using one of those. 3.5mm between the wheels seems about right. The gap in the pics is just a rough mock up, there is no spacer in there, and the wheels are seperate items, so they are closer than they will be.

These pics are what I am aiming to print when I have got the printer, filament, bearings, and bolts.
Attachments
wheels3.png
wheels3.png (11.39 KiB) Viewed 4846 times
wheels2.png
wheels2.png (22.92 KiB) Viewed 4846 times
wheels1.png
wheels1.png (10.61 KiB) Viewed 4846 times
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Excellent! They look pretty identical to the ones chris sells which are on my Cromwell, they seem to work well so should be no issue with yours
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hi Rob, looking forward to this, following along.
Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Nevermind
Last edited by Ad Lav on Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

I had a quick whizzover on the wheel design. Looking at the pics of the real ones, mine were nowhere near right. This is pretty close, the one on the left is the later version, which is what I need.

I may have a go at trying a drive sprocket, though I know nothing about gear teeth size/spacing etc. The idler and return rollers should be fairly straightforward though. Suspension arms are fairly simple, I have an idea for spring mounts that should work, hidden inside the hull...we shall see... 8O

Attachments
wheelcorrect.png
wheelcorrect.png (55.49 KiB) Viewed 4736 times
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Does anyone know the diameter of a Comet idler wheel, and drive sprocket??

It seems that a PIII roadwheel is almost identical to a Comet idler, if I take that route it will save me some hassle. Idiot that I am I sold off a box of crap that included metal idlers, and a full set of metal return rollers and mounts months ago...kicking myself now.

It might seem a daft question, but I have never owned a P IV, are the tracks exactly the same as the PIII, it seems wise to ask before I order two sets...one pair won't be long enough.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

H/L PzIII tracks definitely fit a H/L PzIV running gear.
Any other brand of track/drive sprocket combo I cannot say for certain.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

wibblywobbly wrote:Does anyone know the diameter of a Comet idler wheel, and drive sprocket??

It seems that a PIII roadwheel is almost identical to a Comet idler, if I take that route it will save me some hassle. Idiot that I am I sold off a box of crap that included metal idlers, and a full set of metal return rollers and mounts months ago...kicking myself now.

It might seem a daft question, but I have never owned a P IV, are the tracks exactly the same as the PIII, it seems wise to ask before I order two sets...one pair won't be long enough.
Mine uses a panzer iv road wheel modified to look like a Cromwell idlers

Return to “Other Builds”