Building a Mid-Production Normandy Tiger 1

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
tanks_for_the_memory
Sergeant

Re: Building a Mid-Production Normandy Tiger 1

Post by tanks_for_the_memory »

Finishing the front fender attachment points
The front corners of the hull are now complete.jpg
The front corners of the hull are now complete.jpg (37.92 KiB) Viewed 5422 times
A long time ago I had decided to remove the moulded on front fenders from my Heng Long Tiger. For anyone wanting to replace the fenders with Voyager or Aber photoetch substitutes this is a necessary step anyway - and even the Tamiya Tiger has them moulded on in this way - but for me it was just a question of the tank's 'look'. It just seems so much more business-like without the front fenders. In any event they were frequently lost in combat - as one can see below.
Tiger 114 of the 101st SS Panzer Division captured in Normandy in running condition.jpg
Removing the moulded on fenders is easy enough because the correct outline of the hull corners is moulded underneath. However, once gone the hull thickness then needs to be almost doubled - also easily achieved by plastic card glued underneath and then sanded to shape.
To increase the hull corner to scale thickness plastic strip was glued underneath and then sanded to shape.jpg
To increase the hull corner to scale thickness plastic strip was glued underneath and then sanded to shape.jpg (32.46 KiB) Viewed 5422 times
The large rings at each corner of the hull puzzled many of us for years. One suggestion was that they were brackets for holding poles for some sort of camouflage rig. However, the photo below shows their real purpose - to mount a small crane used to replace the sprockets (a little like a larger version of the Pilsen crane mounts which appeared on the turrets of late Tigers and other tanks).
Crane for replacing the sprocket on the Tiger 1.jpg
As you can see from the photo below the hole should go all the way through.
Front hull corner on the Saumur Tiger.jpg
Front hull corner on the Saumur Tiger.jpg (30.8 KiB) Viewed 5422 times
Even though I was going to do without the front fenders themselves I still needed to add the hinge attachment points - four in all on each side. These I made from solid square-section plastic rod which I drilled and then sanded to to a rough inverted 'U' shape. The brackets were then cut sausage-style using a sharp knife and glued in place. I left one off because it seems from photographs that they would often come away when the fender was ripped off.
Front hull corner on the Vimoutiers Tiger 1 showing the fender attachment points.jpg
Front hull corner on the Vimoutiers Tiger 1 showing the fender attachment points.jpg (46.84 KiB) Viewed 5422 times
Fender mounting points were cut sausage-like from a length of square plastic tube drilled and sanded to shape.jpg
Fender mounting points were cut sausage-like from a length of square plastic tube drilled and sanded to shape.jpg (38.98 KiB) Viewed 5422 times
The fender hinge brackets weere then glued in place - the furthest was left off as 'battle damage'.jpg
The fender hinge brackets weere then glued in place - the furthest was left off as 'battle damage'.jpg (33.22 KiB) Viewed 5422 times
The front fender attachment brackets after a coat of Mr Surfacer Primer.jpg
The front fender attachment brackets after a coat of Mr Surfacer Primer.jpg (33.21 KiB) Viewed 5422 times
Unusual low viewpoint shot showing thickness of hull above the sprocket and attachment hook for front fender. Also of note - this Tiger has early tracks (no chevron ice cleats) and no central headlight.jpg
Unusual low viewpoint shot showing thickness of hull above the sprocket and attachment hook for front fender. Also of note - this Tiger has early tracks (no chevron ice cleats) and no central headlight.jpg (25 KiB) Viewed 5397 times
Finally, you will notice in the photo at the top of this post that there is a small bracket with a hole in it at the front corner of the lower hull (just in front of the sprocket wheel). This is part of the Voyager set. On the real tank this held a little anchor hook which secured the front of the fender in place when it was hinged in the down position. I haven't bothered with the hooks themselves on the basis that they must have disappeared at the same time as the fenders!
Last edited by tanks_for_the_memory on Tue May 03, 2016 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Mid-Production Normandy Tiger 1 build thread: http://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/forums/v ... =22&t=8350
daveave64
Recruit

Post by daveave64 »

Great topic, looking forward to an update
LarryE519
Recruit

Post by LarryE519 »

This is an amazing build - Thanks for all of the detailed updates.

WOW
The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving on. US Grant
maxmekker
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by maxmekker »

Such a detailed tread and build .

Mind telling were you got those Masterclub bolts ?
Drammen Rock City
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

MAX Go to --
http://www.manmodels.co.uk
And scroll down the categories.
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
maxmekker

Post by maxmekker »

thanks man :thumbup:
Drammen Rock City
tanks_for_the_memory
Sergeant

Post by tanks_for_the_memory »

On with the show...

Final detailing of the upper hull and another coat of primer
With the wheels and tracks back on my Tiger is starting to look more business-like and - I hope - more like the real thing.jpg
With the wheels and tracks back on my Tiger is starting to look more business-like and - I hope - more like the real thing.jpg (33.76 KiB) Viewed 5429 times
There were just a few more details that I needed to finish before I could add the next layer of primer to the top of the upper hull.
The headlight finished with cable conduit attached using a plug shaved off a Tamiya headlight bracket.jpg
The headlight finished with cable conduit attached using a plug shaved off a Tamiya headlight bracket.jpg (36.86 KiB) Viewed 5429 times
The other end of the headlight cable was attached to the armoured plug with two different sizes of brass tube.jpg
The other end of the headlight cable was attached to the armoured plug with two different sizes of brass tube.jpg (34 KiB) Viewed 5429 times
The crank handle and aerial mount.jpg
The crank handle and aerial mount.jpg (27.37 KiB) Viewed 5429 times
The beautifully moulded wire cutters from the Tamiya Tiger were mounted using clamps from the Voyager photo etch set.jpg
The beautifully moulded wire cutters from the Tamiya Tiger were mounted using clamps from the Voyager photo etch set.jpg (34.98 KiB) Viewed 5429 times
A plan view of the upper hull just before the primer coat goes on shows just how much detail can be added.jpg
A plan view of the upper hull just before the primer coat goes on shows just how much detail can be added.jpg (45.4 KiB) Viewed 5429 times
Now you see it... now you don't. It almost seems a shame to hide the evidence of all that hard work - but I cannot tell you how satisfying it is to see it all starting to look unified beneath a coat of paint!.jpg
Now you see it... now you don't. It almost seems a shame to hide the evidence of all that hard work - but I cannot tell you how satisfying it is to see it all starting to look unified beneath a coat of paint!.jpg (35.41 KiB) Viewed 5429 times
It's interesting how the mesh grills which are so prominent when the brass is still showing almost disappear once they are painted....jpg
It's interesting how the mesh grills which are so prominent when the brass is still showing almost disappear once they are painted....jpg (39.08 KiB) Viewed 5429 times
Close-up of the engine deck after a coat of primer.jpg
Close-up of the engine deck after a coat of primer.jpg (35.86 KiB) Viewed 5429 times
Another three-quarter view.jpg
Another three-quarter view.jpg (34.23 KiB) Viewed 5429 times
My Mid-Production Normandy Tiger 1 build thread: http://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/forums/v ... =22&t=8350
maxmekker

Post by maxmekker »

that's pritty cool looking at it in primer red an the zimm :thumbup:
Drammen Rock City
philipat
Sergeant

Post by philipat »

Sweet! :thumbup:
FredtheFrench
Corporal

Post by FredtheFrench »

Very beautiful work on this Tiger. The details are impressive.

But be careful, because I don' t remember than this air filter system was on a mid prod!!! There is no the double pipe. Maybe I am wrong, but when I see this part on your Tiger rear deck, I was "shocked".

For the voyager clamps, it is easier to made compared with Aber?
Sorry for my spelling mistakes, I try to do better every day...

Return to “Heng Long Builds”