M1A1HA, 9/18/23 update. Delay of Game, two week penalty!

BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Re: HL M1A2/A1 HA Build

Post by BarryC »

[quote="AlwynTurner"]Hi Barry, this was my conversion of a Hobby Engine M1A1 which I did - I used balsa wood for the side armor and covered it with small styrene panels. The worst job was the bolt heads - 256 of the flaming things!

Alwyn,

The 256 bolts and the fact the the tiles are all the same makes casting copies the way to go IMO. If I can make a good master with say 4 to 6 tile without it becoming too large I may go that route. I will need to consult my caster for advice as to how large a pattern I can safely create.

I have used Prime Portal for many years build aircraft models but only recently for armor. I will have another look see.

Thanks,
Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hi Barry, from an effort point of you yes I'm sure the casting will be the answer. Being a pensioner with a tight (spouse imposed) budget I'm always looking for the lowest-cost option so it's much cheaper but incredibly tedious to do the way I did it. Good luck with the build and I'm following along. :wave: :thumbup: Alwyn
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Hi folks,

I have a question about barrel recoil on the Abrams as it relates to the Clark Recoil unit. How much in either inches or mm should the barrel recoil measured from the mantel? Right now with the recoil unit installed and the barrel free to retract it is about 0.5"; is that about right? From viewing videos of the real tank it does not appear to have a lot of displacement and is a very quick cycle.

Also with all the splendid help from MichaelC, Ian, Kevin at RCTA and Thomas at ElMod I have just about decided which control board to use. I will be making my choice soon, leaning toward the ElMod.

Thanks to all for the help and guidance, I am certain I will have more questions.
:clap: :thumbup: :D

Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
Uncarina
Lance Corporal

Post by Uncarina »

Barry,

Looking forward to seeing this come together! I will be following your lead with the internal mods.

Cheers, Tom
atcttge
Sergeant

Post by atcttge »

BarryC wrote:Hi folks,

I have a question about barrel recoil on the Abrams as it relates to the Clark Recoil unit. How much in either inches or mm should the barrel recoil measured from the mantel? Right now with the recoil unit installed and the barrel free to retract it is about 0.5"; is that about right? From viewing videos of the real tank it does not appear to have a lot of displacement and is a very quick cycle.

Also with all the splendid help from MichaelC, Ian, Kevin at RCTA and Thomas at ElMod I have just about decided which control board to use. I will be making my choice soon, leaning toward the ElMod.

Thanks to all for the help and guidance, I am certain I will have more questions.
:clap: :thumbup: :D

Barry
From: http://www.inetres.com/gp/military/cv/weapon/M256.html

"The gun tube, breech, and piston recoil approximately 11 inches (279 mm) during firing. The gun recoils about 1.5 inches (38 mm) before the projectile leaves the gun tube."

So total recoil travel is 11 inches. Round is out by the time the gun has recoiled by 1.5 inches.

11" = 279.4mm

279.4mm/16 = 17.4625mm travel in 1/16 scale.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

AlwynTurner wrote:Hi Barry, this was my conversion of a Hobby Engine M1A1 which I did - I used balsa wood for the side armor and covered it with small styrene panels. The worst job was the bolt heads - 256 of the flaming things!
I didn't do the automated gun on the turret roof, might add that later together with a decent paint job. I didn't want to spend much time on it as it was a cheap spares/repair tank that I converted to HL electronics and just wanted to see how far I could get without spending bug bucks.

While doing my build I found this and it was really useful with lots of photos - maybe something useful there for you
http://www.primeportal.net/tanks/jeff_d ... php?Page=1

Good luck with your build and will be following along. :thumbup: :thumbup: :wave: Alwyn
8O You are a Seriously patient man Alwyn....like pinning those tracks on your other build wasn't hard enough....the bolt work on that reactive armor is mind boggling :crazy:

ALPHA
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

From: http://www.inetres.com/gp/military/cv/weapon/M256.html

"The gun tube, breech, and piston recoil approximately 11 inches (279 mm) during firing. The gun recoils about 1.5 inches (38 mm) before the projectile leaves the gun tube."

So total recoil travel is 11 inches. Round is out by the time the gun has recoiled by 1.5 inches.

11" = 279.4mm

279.4mm/16 = 17.4625mm travel in 1/16 scale.[/quote]

In guessing my current travel is approx. 12-13mm I need to measure looks like I am pretty close, I may actually be there.

Thanks atcttge!
Leonardo Da Vinci
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Does anyone have any idea what the circled item is?

Thanks in advanced, Barry

Photos used under the Fair Use Act for instructional purposes only.

Last edited by BarryC on Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leonardo Da Vinci
atcttge
Sergeant

Post by atcttge »

Looks like just a footlocker of sorts. Tankers get to use all sorts of containers to keep their gear inside and out of the dirt and rain. Or their beer cool....
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Thanks Atcttge,

I agree that is what it looks like. There are two tanks I have photos of that belong to the same company/regiment and both have the same piece of stowage, same location in the bustle. I am searching for a better photo but not sure I will find one especially if it is as suspected just a storage locker possibly issued at the company level.

Barry
Last edited by BarryC on Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Leonardo Da Vinci

Return to “Modern Builds”