Tamiya Hummer M1025 help...

This board is for you people out their who would like to discuss RC cars and trucks
sfstu
Recruit

Tamiya Hummer M1025 help...

Post by sfstu »

Anyone here have one of these and have done the diff swap from front to back?
I'm in the process of this and locking the rear drive but having problems now with the drive shafts...
Thanks,
Rgds Stuart
Ad Lav
Captain

Re: Tamiya Hummer M1025 help...

Post by Ad Lav »

I have one but not done the diff lock mod.

Best thing is to pm mr.crispy - he has one and is more knowledgeable.
Crispy
Sergeant

Post by Crispy »

Not heard of swapping the diffs front to back, is it a ball diff you have? I found completely locking the rear diff with araldite helped a lot, but it'll take some work if you ever want to reverse it. Now I tend to use a very thick silicone oil to get a slip diff effect. It's 500,000wt and looks like treacle.
You aint gettin me on no plane fool!
sfstu
Recruit

Post by sfstu »

Hi Crispy, it had the ball diff originally in the rear and this is now residing in the front and was left as is. The original front diff is now locked and installed at the rear. It's not the ball bearing diff, it has the 3 little cone shaped metal cogs inside and I locked it by moving one of the 3 cogs and placing it between the other two so that it cannot turn, then packed the case with blutack to stop the cog from working it's way loose.
Have done all this after reading many threads on how to do it and it seems to be a very popular mod giving much better offroad ability... :thumbup:

After swapping the 2 diffs I had an issue with the drive arms not fitting properly but after also swapping them front to rear and using some 2mm o-rings to take out the slack it all fits ok, I think!!!

Still awaiting a couple of parts before I can test it tho.... :crazy:
Stu
Crispy
Sergeant

Post by Crispy »

Sounds good. Not had the ball diff myself but that method for locking the rear is well tried and tested. Easy to undo too. You'll get a lot more drive with it locked.
You aint gettin me on no plane fool!
sfstu
Recruit

Post by sfstu »

I actually had it running for the first time this afternoon! Charged a battery that had been sat in a box for 3 years and as the hummer was all fully reassembled, gave it a little run around the patio and garden. I left the shell off to keep an eye on things and all seemed ok..

Until I noticed the steering had gone funny!! The post on the actual tub itself that secures the steering has broken.. >:<

Oh well, the plastic is from the 90's and a bit brittle. Will attempt a superglue fix and may drill the hole through and use a nut and bolt instead of just the screw until I find another chassis tub or may even think about making one from aluminium...
Was thinking of modding the steering anyway, want 2 arms steering from the servo... o-

It ran well otherwise, didn't heat up (have ally heat sink and motor mount fitted), wheels spin up a bit, would like a lower speed motor tbh for slower speed and more torque...

Stu

Return to “RC Cars and Trucks”