1/6 1943 Stuart M5

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Re: 1/6 1943 Stuart M5

Post by sassgrunt »

Actually, it wasn't East Coast Armory. This was a couple years ago, and It was a guy (in Colorado, if I remember correctly), I found on EBay who made the transmission covers, and then later made the adapter piece to fill the hull opening. His parts were very well made, but he only made a limited number of them. I tried to interest him in looking at 1/16 parts as well, but nothing came of it. -Mike
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Mike,
Thanks for setting my recollections straight. ;o) Apologies, Tim. I wonder if this fellow still makes the 1/6 parts, Mike?
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

I had posted the EBay link on the Yahoo Groups M5 site when I found them back in May of 2013. http://www.ebay.com/itm/221222427785?ss ... 956wt_1399 I don't think he's still in business, but I wish he was - great talent!
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good afternoon,
It's funny, I had just replied to an email on that Yahoo group a week or so ago advertising the 1/6 scale work that guys on this Forum were doing. ;o) I wish I had bought a set of Jack's tracks for the Stuart back when he was working on making them available. I lost track after a while of his posts and never followed up.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Charging up the 12 volt battery tonight. This battery is as old as the tank and still takes a charge. Nice ( if slow ) battery charger for it as well. Sometime during the course of this build, I'll buy a new tech version battery and charger for the tank. ;o) Pics:
Attachments
This battery will do better mounted lower in the hull to free up space for the deck details.
This battery will do better mounted lower in the hull to free up space for the deck details.
Charger blinking and trickle charging away...
Charger blinking and trickle charging away...
...Here for the Dawn...
Swamprat33
Lance Corporal

Post by Swamprat33 »

Naaaaa, the Stuart is small and cute compared to my Armotek Panther.
you can pick up the Stuart fully laden and it is still manageable.

Can't do that with my Panther.

Tim
1/6 Armortek Panther ausf.G
1/6 Armortek Panzer III ausf.J
1/6 Type 82 Funkwagen
1/6 Sdkfz 250/9
1/6 Sdkfz 2 Kettenkrad
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning,
Swamprat is right, the Stuart can be displayed and moved around indoors a lot more easily than one of the all metal 1/6 scale tanks. I will go with the 'Monster' description as accurate tho'. Any 1/6 vehicle is large compared to the regular 1/16 scale that we work with. The battery for the Stuart alone, is easily over 5 pounds in weight. Looks like a standard 12 volt motorcycle battery. ;o) Speaking of which, it finally finished trickle charging this morning so I'll use it to test during the build then replace it with a new version as noted.
regards,
Painless

P.S. Tim, I'm still working on tracing out those bulkhead seals for you. I don't have a micrometer and am using a straightedge in metric.
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

The Client that I work for is closed today in honor of Veterans everywhere. God Bless them all. I took the gifted time to take the Stuart apart thoroughly and take some photos. I used a past Christmas gift to organize and store the many bits and pieces of kit. I immediately see that a lot of good can be done with existing parts and some detailing. If I want to make this a solid runner and eye catching to boot tho', some more bread is going to be spent. ( Ala http://www.ebay.com/itm/Book-Stuart-Tan ... 0903801286 but not as crazed... ) Pictures:
Attachments
Even with the minimal use I gave this stock version, Time was catching up with it.
Even with the minimal use I gave this stock version, Time was catching up with it.
Even with the minimal use I gave this stock version, Time was catching up with it..JPG (86.96 KiB) Viewed 9605 times
Amazing cheapitude!  Aerial held on with masking tape.
Amazing cheapitude! Aerial held on with masking tape.
Amazing cheapitude! Aerial held on with masking tape..JPG (91.78 KiB) Viewed 9605 times
More plugs and photos to show placement,
More plugs and photos to show placement,
Deck and turret removed to show the 12V electronics and plug connections.
Deck and turret removed to show the 12V electronics and plug connections.
Not many or much to hold a large scale tank together.
Not many or much to hold a large scale tank together.
Not many or much to hold a large scale tank together..JPG (91.57 KiB) Viewed 9605 times
A stubby and a magnetic phillips head will work to remove the 10 screws holding the deck to the lower hull.
A stubby and a magnetic phillips head will work to remove the 10 screws holding the deck to the lower hull.
More screws await inside the compartments.  A magnetic screwdriver is very handy here.
More screws await inside the compartments. A magnetic screwdriver is very handy here.
Start with removing the screws that hold these (storage) compartments on...
Start with removing the screws that hold these (storage) compartments on...
All tools are removable and in this scale, wooden handles are a cinch to make
All tools are removable and in this scale, wooden handles are a cinch to make
Stock is not shabby either...
Stock is not shabby either...
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Continued:
Attachments
Tim, ( and anyone else interested in having or who needs a set ) let me know if this would work for you.
Tim, ( and anyone else interested in having or who needs a set ) let me know if this would work for you.
Tim, ( and anyone else interested in having or who needs a set ) let me know if this would work for you..JPG (86.68 KiB) Viewed 9602 times
What I am willing to do is send one of these pieces to someone like Woz.  He can scan it in and mirror it and make a set of them using his 3D Printer.
What I am willing to do is send one of these pieces to someone like Woz. He can scan it in and mirror it and make a set of them using his 3D Printer.
What I am willing to do is send one of these pieces to someone like Woz. He can scan it in and mirror it and make a set of them using his 3D Printer..JPG (81.17 KiB) Viewed 9602 times
Mirrored side.  Tim, these pieces are complex molds so any measurement of mine will be off or hard to follow.
Mirrored side. Tim, these pieces are complex molds so any measurement of mine will be off or hard to follow.
Mirrored side. Tim, these pieces are complex molds so any measurement of mine will be off or hard to follow..JPG (82.76 KiB) Viewed 9602 times
The hull piece that fills the gap next to the output shafts from the Colorado parts maker.  No longer available.
The hull piece that fills the gap next to the output shafts from the Colorado parts maker. No longer available.
The old battery warning sticker.  I'll put this back into place.  Per usual, remove this tank's battery to charge it.
The old battery warning sticker. I'll put this back into place. Per usual, remove this tank's battery to charge it.
The old battery warning sticker. I'll put this back into place. Per usual, remove this tank's battery to charge it..JPG (79.72 KiB) Viewed 9602 times
Underside and wiring for the On-Off switch
Underside and wiring for the On-Off switch
Vented battery compartment
Vented battery compartment
Vented battery compartment.JPG (98.63 KiB) Viewed 9602 times
The hull is thin here so I will be happy with detailing these doors and hitch.  Also on the list is a smoker and exhaust grating here.
The hull is thin here so I will be happy with detailing these doors and hitch. Also on the list is a smoker and exhaust grating here.
The hull is thin here so I will be happy with detailing these doors and hitch. Also on the list is a smoker and exhaust grating here..JPG (96.98 KiB) Viewed 9602 times
Replacement single metal gears for these boxes and new motors will easily double the speed of the Stuart.
Replacement single metal gears for these boxes and new motors will easily double the speed of the Stuart.
Motors are solid but slow.
Motors are solid but slow.
Motors are solid but slow..JPG (91.78 KiB) Viewed 9602 times
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Continued:
Attachments
Mike saved me days of work by sending this deck with the sand skirts removed.
Mike saved me days of work by sending this deck with the sand skirts removed.
Stock turret gear is nice and solid.
Stock turret gear is nice and solid.
Stock turret gear is nice and solid..JPG (77.35 KiB) Viewed 9344 times
View of the spindle gear for the turret rotation
View of the spindle gear for the turret rotation
View of the spindle gear for the turret rotation.JPG (96.92 KiB) Viewed 9344 times
Turret Basket gearbox
Turret Basket gearbox
The turret basket was a surprise.  Sort of a primitive slip ring set up.
The turret basket was a surprise. Sort of a primitive slip ring set up.
Gearbox shaft
Gearbox shaft
Gearbox shaft.JPG (81.56 KiB) Viewed 9344 times
Static version bogies and the rest of the needed solid road wheels and a new metal tow hook.
Static version bogies and the rest of the needed solid road wheels and a new metal tow hook.
Mike's tracks for his tractor build and the original sprocket which is held on by a small screw
Mike's tracks for his tractor build and the original sprocket which is held on by a small screw
Replacement road wheel vs the split version for the resin tracks.
Replacement road wheel vs the split version for the resin tracks.
RC version idler arm with spring visible.  Getting a scale, working version of this is where some expected expenditure lies.
RC version idler arm with spring visible. Getting a scale, working version of this is where some expected expenditure lies.
...Here for the Dawn...

Return to “Larger Scale Military”