RCTank.de Panther G Upgrades and Makeover

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
jtracks
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: The voices made me do it

Post by jtracks »

Yes, that snap click as you say is the mechanism for the gun. If the Panther is like the Jagdpanther, it uses the HL gun recoil system which differs from the recoil units in my Taigen Tigers, T-34, Sherman etc. It also winds up, if you will, like an air soft gun. I'm glad to hear you worked out the elevation and traverse.
Joe
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Having now pulled apart the turret and hacked the recoil unit in order to fit a servo recoil, I realise that the tank is actually a standard HL Panther colour scheme that has had a coat of dark satin lacquer applied to it. The effect is actually very good, but what they have done is simply sprayed a pre-assembled tank. The underside of the barrel, the upper hull under the turret, and the parts behind the mantlet are still the original colours.

I will probably do a paint job of some sort on this now, as it will be way easier without the accessories attached.

Programmed the Elmod, the sound for each channel can be adjusted on a slider bar on my pc, whilst plugged in via a usb. By sliding the bars and running the tank from the screen, I have been able to change the set up so that the engine sounds are a lot quieter but the main gun and mg are nice and loud. Amazing flexibility on these boards, I can change the sound amplification from -100% to +100%, and anywhere in between in 25% steps. This means no more headaches in the scout hut. lol. I can even click on which gun sound etc I want from a menu and play them before I select the one that I want to upload into the tank. Changed the turret rotation too so it starts off slow, but can then be accelerated up to a good speed when I need to hit those pesky Shermans.

The servo recoil movement on the HL units is quite short, and a servo throw is too much, not a problem, I can just slide a couple of bars around on the screen and watch the servo being moved to where I want it to start, where to stop, how fast to move back, how fast to move forwards etc.

I just wish the glue monkey at the factory hadn't stuck the HL emitter in with fast setting concrete, that is going to be a pain to get out cleanly without damaging the plastic or the paint... :problem:
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
jtracks

Post by jtracks »

So if I understand you correctly, you can adjust servo throw via the Elmod software? I'm trying to do a servo recoil in the Jagdpanther but as you said, too much servo throw and I can't adjust it on the IBU2.
Joe
mike1268
Corporal

Post by mike1268 »

I put an IBU2 pro in my stug. ripped all the gun controls out of the tank and replaced with servo's because i wasnt happy with the recoil. Its easy to do but does involve a lot of hacking up of the existing recoil unit. you can then alter the timings via the IBU2 until it recoils correctly.
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

I used the recoil unit on the IR version that I have. There is a slot in the side with a tab that sticks out, the spring is normally attached there. I took the unit apart, stripped out the motor and gears and cut the bottom off. Screwed what was left back together. I then mounted a link between the servo arm and the tab.

The Elmod board has a usb port. I just plug the cable into the board, and click to run the configuration software. This is a multi screen system that allows you to adjust anything and everything that the tank does. So, I click on the servo tab, I then select recoil from none, recoil, or steering. Start the tank on the tx. Fire the gun, see where the recoil starts and stops. Move the sliders on the screen so that the servo will start with the tab at one of the slot, and only travel as far as the other end of the slot. Hit Save, and job done.

If you had a Tamiya with recoil there is another screen where you can do the same with that, as well as adjust the speed of the recoil and rebound etc.

I have an IBU, but as with all things, there is always a compromise between price and what you get. The IBU is fine in my Bulldog, it runs just how I want it to, it's a good controllable battle tank. The Panther is being built as my 'special' tank, so I paid the extra and bought an Elmod as these guys have been making boards for a long time and their attention to detail is quite honestly second to none. If I could afford it I would have Elmods in a whole fleet of tanks, but until I win the lottery that isn't going to happen. :haha:

I'll post up a video as it will demonstrate things better than a thousand words ever will...
Attachments
DSCN0937.JPG
DSCN0936.JPG
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
jtracks

Post by jtracks »

Thanks wibbly, I'll have to look into the Elmod.
Joe
jtracks

Post by jtracks »

mike1268 wrote:I put an IBU2 pro in my stug. ripped all the gun controls out of the tank and replaced with servo's because i wasnt happy with the recoil. Its easy to do but does involve a lot of hacking up of the existing recoil unit. you can then alter the timings via the IBU2 until it recoils correctly.
I've gone up and down the adjustment scale mike1268 on my IBU2 and just can't get it to work. It's a great board and I have no complaints, I'm sure I'm not doing something correctly.
Joe
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Video is uploading but here are screenshots from the configuration software. There is another program that is used to handle the sounds on the SD Card.
Attachments
receiver.JPG
receiver.JPG (60.34 KiB) Viewed 4782 times
drive.JPG
drive.JPG (75.03 KiB) Viewed 4782 times
smoker.JPG
smoker.JPG (74.17 KiB) Viewed 4782 times
turret.JPG
turret.JPG (59.11 KiB) Viewed 4782 times
weapons.JPG
weapons.JPG (67.67 KiB) Viewed 4782 times
lights.JPG
lights.JPG (49.72 KiB) Viewed 4782 times
battle.JPG
battle.JPG (47.24 KiB) Viewed 4782 times
sound.JPG
sound.JPG (71.49 KiB) Viewed 4782 times
sounds1.JPG
sounds1.JPG (69.54 KiB) Viewed 4782 times
direct.JPG
direct.JPG (64.12 KiB) Viewed 4782 times
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Kind of makes the Tamiya system look like it was designed by cavemen? lol.
Attachments
servo screen.JPG
servo screen.JPG (59.36 KiB) Viewed 4782 times
System.JPG
System.JPG (57.19 KiB) Viewed 4782 times
receiver.JPG
receiver.JPG (60.34 KiB) Viewed 4782 times
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
jtracks

Post by jtracks »

Thanks Wibbly, that looks easy enough for sure. I was going to ask what model Elmod you had but I saw it listed in the program. I will definitely check one of these boards out. Thank you so much for the time you took to post all of that information.

Joe
Joe

Return to “Other Builds”