Grantham Light Armoured Division Discussion

For discussion of new and existing clubs, organisation of meets and other similar topics. Please use this board for discussion, the Clubs around the world board is for listings only.
RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Forming a East Midlands RC Tank Club ?

Post by RobW »

Just bought a BB T34 and may not be about much, but if it gets going will try and drop in. Am in Sheffield, but the outlaws are in Grantham; it's marginally closer than MAD, but mainly easier because there are decent roads!

Not sure I'd fancy using BB in confined spaces - too many opportunities for damaging the light fittings & each other!
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

BBs are a nightmare, who wants to detail their tank up to have bits shot off! I think ir is best in a club setting. Using Tamiya standard for battling isn't really difficult or expensive.
Merlin707
Corporal

Post by Merlin707 »

But why should people have to Tom?
It doesn't matter if it's difficult or expensive at all, a club should cater to all.

Even if people only have bb tanks, they can still come along to drive round a modelled environment or just come for the day out to meet and get ideas or advice from other like minded people.
Razor 1, Intercept Bogies Angels 2 5, Cleared Hot Engage, Fox 2 Fox 2

Semper In Faecibus Sumus Sole Profundum Variat

HL/Tamiya Sherman - Bulldog Turreted
Taigen Tiki Tiger 1
Torro KingTiger
E-25 Tank Destroyer
The Tank Man
Staff Sergeant

Post by The Tank Man »

Unfotunatley Air soft Tanks can not be used with loaded pellets in them but they can still drive around like any other tank at our Club in Manchester.
Basicaly our liabilty insurance does not cover air soft.
Plus the health and safety aspect of it would be a nightmare As people would have to wear protective googles and you have the possiblity of spectators getting hit by stray air soft balls.
Plus as we are mostley indoors think about this! One tank will kick out 100 plus balls probley more in the 8 hour meet so imagine 15 plus tanks all running around shooting yellow balls!
People could trip on them and fall you could end up with a law suit on your hands.
Plus the ball's would have to be collected up i would fancy having to sqobble about finding them all.
Plus the owners of the building mite complain they keep finding balls around the building.
Plus as Tom says we have a lot of heavily detailed tanks and most members would not want them shot at!
Other things are your tank wont slow down after its hit and somone would have to be judgeing to see who hit who.
Seems a bit pointless to me when the IR systems are so much better for simulated battleing.

In a nut shell the M.A.D club is IR only when it comes to battles
I don't no any clubs out there that actualy cater for airsoft tanks.
But im sure somone will start a club up for them at sompoint.
I love the smell of napalm in the morning!
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hi as a newbie having just got my first tank working, I am really not concerned about battling (although I am sure some competitive members relish this aspect) I am just happy (delighted!) to have an environment at MAD where I can bring my tank, practice around the obstacles, and chat to the other members and get advice. I think it all depends on what individual members motivations are. All I can say is that I find the MAD meetings really beneficial and motivational to see other members tanks, and wish everyone all the best in setting up a new tank club. Cheers. Alwyn
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Merlin707 wrote:But why should people have to Tom?
It doesn't matter if it's difficult or expensive at all, a club should cater to all.

Even if people only have bb tanks, they can still come along to drive round a modelled environment or just come for the day out to meet and get ideas or advice from other like minded people.

As Gary said there no issue with people running bb tanks, as long as they aren't loaded!

The Tamiya standard is used in pretty much all hobby grade electronics systems so it makes sense to have it as the standard. Usually people will loan tanks out to others that don't have tanks that meet the standard. Also in most clubs you won't be having organised battles all the time so there's plenty of opportunity for tanks with toy grade electronics to play.

I'm just going off what has worked at MAD for the past three years.
tankman

Post by tankman »

Gentlemen, before we get too carried away with details let us consider that this club will be set up by hawkeye3guns and to that end he and his fellow members must be allowed to set there club up as they see fit.
The club constitution and rules should be set by those paying club membership not by those who are not contributing to that clubs costs. I know you would all agree that is only right.
To that end why don't we all just take a step back and allow Denzel sort out how he and the guys want to set there club up. Offering support and encouragement where and when requested or required
At this point I would like to wish Denzel all the best in his endevour and say that any help or advice I can offer is yours should you require or request it.
Tankman
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Just trying to offer up some of the experience we've learnt from our three years as a club Alan. Hopefully some of us from MAD will be able to make it over Denzil, always good to see you fantastic engineering vehicles!
971wright
2nd Lieutenant

Post by 971wright »

Hi Guys Everyone has there own ideas of what they want from a club , but as most start with the Heng Long which should have the RX18 fitted, cheap way to battle is to fit a Heng Long Battle unit (you can fit them to a BB version and clip the emitter to the barrel Tamiya style) the battle units are about £10 and emitters from maplins about £1 bit of wiring and your off you can keep the BB working just turn off with the switch.
This gives you a cheap start to I.R.battling ,till you make your mind up which way you want to go (some clubs in Europe don't do battling in any way just do driving and building obstacle's to get round or over ) this I know Denzil would love .
Starting from scratch is hard no buildings bridges or other things to drive round/over. Just an empty room , cardboard boxes can be used to start (the first meeting we had at Bovington we used boxes and other bits we could hide behind ).One other thing to consider is the floor you run on if it is polished wood they will not like it if you run metal tracks over it and scratch it to blazes . This is the reason we put boards down at Hyde.

regards pete
The Tank Man
Staff Sergeant

Post by The Tank Man »

Densil has his own ideas about his club will be great to see some :thumbup: of them at the show were doing with him in the summer should be good fun !!
I love the smell of napalm in the morning!

Return to “Club Discussion”