Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
ALPHA
Major-General

Re: Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"

Post by ALPHA »

dgsselkirk wrote:No, they actually were not Painless. They didn't stick up much though either, especially with 10 coats of paint!
Perfect shot of the mantlet dgsselkirk.... :D ....Like I said....the Pantiger's mantlet is perfect for the "A"...if you need one let me know ...I have two spare :D

ALPHA
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

By the way... thanks for the tip on using layouts :D ...As I usually Eyeball everything :haha:

ALPHA
tiger tiger
Sergeant

Post by tiger tiger »

Hi to you , i am doing a similar project so this is of great interest to me , superb what you have done thus far. i am using the whole pantiger turret which to fit i have had to move turret ring much further forward on the deck so a lot of cutting n shutting and i have fitted the g barrel to the pantiger mantlet. on the rear of the deck and back plate, i got from andreas brinkman a conversion kit which he advertised as a conversion for jagdpanthers to convert to early from late. This consisted of early metal cast twin thin exhausts,and the early cooling round cooling fan in the form of complete resin panel for other side. i am also using attak zim kit from forge bear.I think yours will be greater detailed than mine as i am not up to your skill level but they both will be great to see finished. Happy building yours is gonna be superb.

regards
stuart
Grantham Light Armoured Division RCTC
dgsselkirk
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by dgsselkirk »

Thank you for the kind words Stuart. Would love to see some pics of what you are doing. So you are using an HL Panther deck and lower hull and putting a Pantiger turret on it?
"There are things in Russia which are not as they seem..."
Georgy Konstantinovich Zhukov
dgsselkirk

Post by dgsselkirk »

Thanks for the offer Alpha, the Atak came with beautiful resin early mantles with the zim molded into them. They are going to look awesome! :D
dgsselkirk

Post by dgsselkirk »

So to finish up the main construction on the front hatches first I rough cut out the holes for the hatches with my narrow diamond bit tip.
Panther A 37.jpg
Panther A 37.jpg (54.4 KiB) Viewed 8684 times
Next, shaped them a little more with the grinder stone tip
Panther A 38.jpg
Panther A 38.jpg (49.82 KiB) Viewed 8684 times
Then I really smoothed them out with 120 to 400 sandpaper and laid it down on another piece of styrene and traced out the hatches.
Panther A 39.jpg
Panther A 39.jpg (22.54 KiB) Viewed 8684 times
Panther A 40.jpg
Panther A 40.jpg (22.16 KiB) Viewed 8684 times
Used the grinder stone again to grind away the excess around the trace being careful to keep a little extra around the trace line otherwise they would be too small.
Panther A 41.jpg
Panther A 41.jpg (34.99 KiB) Viewed 8684 times
Panther A 42.jpg
Panther A 42.jpg (33.53 KiB) Viewed 8684 times
Next did a little shimming on the hatch plate opening so the insert was flush with the rest of the deck.
Panther A 43.jpg
Panther A 43.jpg (40.76 KiB) Viewed 8684 times
Fits in nicely now and the hatches look close. I'm just going to thin them down a bit more as they still look a little thick.
Panther A 44.jpg
Panther A 44.jpg (37.39 KiB) Viewed 8684 times
Panther A 45.jpg
Panther A 45.jpg (37.66 KiB) Viewed 8684 times
Tonight the one that everyone has been waiting for how I'm going to change the angle of the sides!
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning,
That's super nice scratch building there. ;o) Once everything is sanded down, it looks better than store bought. I hear you on the hatch holders. I am mulling over how to make some scale fender braces for the Pershing I am working on. They don't need to function but they do need to look scale and withstand running the tank through scrub and tall grass. Again, Excelsior! on your work. I am really enjoying following along.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

tiger tiger wrote:Hi to you , i am doing a similar project so this is of great interest to me , superb what you have done thus far. i am using the whole pantiger turret which to fit i have had to move turret ring much further forward on the deck so a lot of cutting n shutting and i have fitted the g barrel to the pantiger mantlet. on the rear of the deck and back plate, i got from andreas brinkman a conversion kit which he advertised as a conversion for jagdpanthers to convert to early from late. This consisted of early metal cast twin thin exhausts,and the early cooling round cooling fan in the form of complete resin panel for other side. i am also using attak zim kit from forge bear.I think yours will be greater detailed than mine as i am not up to your skill level but they both will be great to see finished. Happy building yours is gonna be superb.

regards
stuart
dgsselkirk wrote:Thank you for the kind words Stuart. Would love to see some pics of what you are doing. So you are using an HL Panther deck and lower hull and putting a Pantiger turret on it?
Yes I agree with dgsselkirk ...Tiger... a Build thread please :D

ALPHA
tiger tiger
Sergeant

Post by tiger tiger »

I will put some up this weekend hopefully if i manage to get on.

regards
stuart
Grantham Light Armoured Division RCTC
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

tiger tiger wrote:I will put some up this weekend hopefully if i manage to get on.

regards
stuart
Thank you sir... you are very Gracious Tiger ;) .......... :D

ALPHA

Return to “Heng Long Builds”