billpe Leo 2A6 build

This board is for talk about tanks after WW2. The ups and downs. The ins and outs. All of it here.
brizo58
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: billpe Leo 2A6 build

Post by brizo58 »

Hi,
Yep it"s nice to have the periscopes when you look at pictures of the real tank you see all the shades. I use the panzer Aces paint No 309 periscopes. It's a blue green looks very good paint the inside so you get the gloss finish. Brian... :wave:
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

brizo58 wrote:Hi,
Yep it"s nice to have the periscopes when you look at pictures of the real tank you see all the shades. I use the panzer Aces paint No 309 periscopes. It's a blue green looks very good paint the inside so you get the gloss finish. Brian... :wave:
Being I'm not able to get Tamiya colors... I either mix a blue of my own... depending on the tank... I might use transparent tinted clear plastic...sometimes combining the two :D

ALPHA
billpe

Post by billpe »

So glass and electrics are all in, base, filter and some pin washes are all done. Need to add the smoke dischargers and paint them, then to clean up the pin washes when I have time and good light. Then decals and onto some detailing and oil highlights etc.
IMG_0135.JPG
She runs pretty well, there is some very minor play in the sprockets. I checked and its not in the gear box or mounts so I suspect its related to the two bars that sit at the end of the axles. One of the headlights also appears to have condensation. Not sure how that happened!
billpe

Post by billpe »

ALPHA wrote:
brizo58 wrote:Hi,
Being I'm not able to get Tamiya colors... I either mix a blue of my own... depending on the tank... I might use transparent tinted clear plastic...sometimes combining the two :D

ALPHA
Can't you order them over the internet? I don't have a local store any more, I practically order everything over it these days.
enrbjohn
Recruit

Post by enrbjohn »

that is a really nice leopard build, looking forward to seeing it weathered
billpe

Post by billpe »

So a small update. Been away from home for a while and with the nights closing in I'm getting less time to work. I can't work under lightbulbs and be confident.

So as this is a 'new' tank, kept in a shed and painted regularly and has never been in a combat environment, weathering with dust and mud is about as far as it can go. I've given it an all over spray with some thinned AK Kursk Earth and now using some flat brushes moving it down to form rain marks. I also tried the AK Rain Marks for Nato tanks but only using it to supplement because its a bit full on in colour even once blended in. So far I've done the very front of the turret and one small section on the side of of the turret. I'll leave where the liquid collects as it looks quite convincing as dust collecting.
IMG_0144.JPG
Its time consuming as its moving dust around with a liquid. Sometimes it looks good, other times not so have to start again. Then I'll add some oils to look like fuel and oil spillages. Once these lines are completed, i'll throw on some pigments using a trust toothbrush loaded with pigment and an airbrush blowing over it then overspray with some thinned Kursk Earth again. The final bit after that is some small adjustments for areas where the crew will disturb the dust.
IMG_0143.JPG
It's also worth noting the sheer size of it. Next to my (soon to be sold or refurbished) Tammy King Tiger. Another is soon to be on its way!
IMG_0145.JPG
IMG_0146.JPG
billpe

Post by billpe »

This could take weeks. About 3 hours work.
IMG_0147.JPG
billpe

Post by billpe »

Still doing streaks of dust.
IMG_0157.JPG
IMG_0158.JPG
Almost finished, just some of the turret underside left to do and then a few final touches, some pigment splatters, an overspray of light dust and exhaust dust and it will be almost ready to take out for a spin. Need to find out what that vent is on the side, if its the auxiliary power exhaust or something for the NBC overpressure.
TDanny
Recruit

Post by TDanny »

Really nice work! Excellent pain job, looks like the real beast.
Tamiya Leopard 2A6 • Heng Long ZTZ 99A • Tamiya Bruiser w/MFC-02 (Heavy as a tank and LOUD! lol :))
billpe

Post by billpe »

Almost done
IMG_0164.JPG
IMG_0167.JPG
IMG_0165.JPG
IMG_0166.JPG
Literally just waiting for my airbrush to dry for the final exhaust colouring and I think I'm about done. Now to calibrate the electronic and program it for my DX6i. That should be an extremely frustrating experience.

Return to “Modern Tanks”