PBY Catalina

This section is for all of you who would like to discuss your RC aircraft!
Earwig
Lance Corporal

PBY Catalina

Post by Earwig »

hi guys,..i,ve just bagged myself a bargain on ebay,...its a heavily modified PBY Catalina ..it started out as a Dynam RTR,...with a wingspan of 1470mm and the fuselage at 940mm..its since been modefied and has had air retracts added the wing floats are also air assisted,it has an onboard air tank, the motors have been upgraded,..it of course has a water rudder fitted and...will be able to take off from either a lake or with the wheels down..a runway...the total cost of the plane and all the upgrades was in excess of £500...i bagged it for £200 inc postage,
Attachments
cat7.JPG
cat7.JPG (25.15 KiB) Viewed 2611 times
cat6.JPG
cat6.JPG (27.54 KiB) Viewed 2611 times
cat5.JPG
cat5.JPG (29.24 KiB) Viewed 2611 times
cat4.JPG
cat4.JPG (38.47 KiB) Viewed 2611 times
cat3.JPG
cat3.JPG (27.78 KiB) Viewed 2611 times
cat2.JPG
cat2.JPG (33.03 KiB) Viewed 2611 times
cat1.JPG
cat1.JPG (29.2 KiB) Viewed 2611 times
"Come"...and i will show you...where the Iron Crosses Grow!!
ALPHA
Major-General

Re: PBY Catalina

Post by ALPHA »

NOW THERE'S SOMETHING YOU DON'T SEE EVERYDAY :O Beautiful PBY Earwig :thumbup:

ALPHA
Earwig
Lance Corporal

Post by Earwig »

When I saw it last night on ebay...it was a WOW...i too had never seen one with retractable under carriage,let alone, the air assisted wing floats,..and i,ve since learned that its flying weight is around 4.5kg, and the motors are rated for 10kg lift,..so its got plenty of oomph...it had a buy it now for £200 ..or nearest offer..and it was collection only....which for me was out of the question as i was 600 miles from where it was,...so i messaged the guy, and congratulated him on his work, and told him, i,d buy it in an instance, if it could be posted,...He got back to me and said, it could be posted and that for £200 he,d include the postage......well, i did,nt need to think about it anymore...and now its mine...he,s even included an extra air cylinder that he,d bought its made of aluminium,and is rated to 1000psi....now i,ll have to think about getting a flight simulator...cos the last plane i had ...never came down in the same condition as it went up....or i could just use it as a boat with wings...but either way, i,m happy as the proverbial pig in ****
Attachments
cat10.JPG
cat10.JPG (20.21 KiB) Viewed 2594 times
cat9.JPG
cat9.JPG (17.33 KiB) Viewed 2594 times
cat8.JPG
cat8.JPG (21.2 KiB) Viewed 2594 times
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

LOL...that's the drawback with aircraft...and reason I stopped flying them....no matter how good you get...gravity is constant .......... never ventured into the new foam bodied ones .,,, but it sounds like you really got a deal...
I give you credit... never flew a dual engine before...back when I did Rc planes everything was gas powered ...so what you ended up with was an airplane that would dominate a garage :haha: Yours looks to be a good size
Have a good time with it... have always liked the PBYs :thumbup:

ALPHA
Earwig
Lance Corporal

Post by Earwig »

found this on youtube....and had to share.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkE24axSBTI
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Earwig wrote:found this on youtube....and had to share.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkE24axSBTI
I remember that scene... funny Movie..."ALWAYS"...You planning on doing some water pick ups Earwig ? :D

ALPHA
Earwig
Lance Corporal

Post by Earwig »

last time i tried to land a model plane, i ended up with just the fuselage...i had the bright idea of bringing a balsa and tissue paper trainer,..down in a field of sept ..barley...the stalks were like tree trunks to my pride and joy...then i had a go at helicopters,..saw one on ebay, 2ft long, electric, and the seller had it hovering ,whilst he went to make a coffee,..he came back and it was still there...."Thats" ..for me i said.....fast forward to my maiden flight...I got it off the ground,..forwards..backwards, hovering..3ft off the ground ..held it there for about 5 mins.....then....it took off like a rocket..straight up until it was out of sight,...around a couple of mins later i saw it coming down nose first...and it was on the other side of my house....concrete driveway..side ..suffice to say..that was the end of my helicopter....this PBY ..will not suffer the same fate as those 2 models,...its going sailing only,....glug,glug....
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Earwig wrote:last time i tried to land a model plane, i ended up with just the fuselage...i had the bright idea of bringing a balsa and tissue paper trainer,..down in a field of sept ..barley...the stalks were like tree trunks to my pride and joy...then i had a go at helicopters,..saw one on ebay, 2ft long, electric, and the seller had it hovering ,whilst he went to make a coffee,..he came back and it was still there...."Thats" ..for me i said.....fast forward to my maiden flight...I got it off the ground,..forwards..backwards, hovering..3ft off the ground ..held it there for about 5 mins.....then....it took off like a rocket..straight up until it was out of sight,...around a couple of mins later i saw it coming down nose first...and it was on the other side of my house....concrete driveway..side ..suffice to say..that was the end of my helicopter....this PBY ..will not suffer the same fate as those 2 models,...its going sailing only,....glug,glug....
I hear you Earwig... loud and clear ... as I said...I've never flown a twin engine... but I do know it has it's own complexities....the balance of power has to be so equal... so reading what you wrote... are like reading words of wisdom :D

Happy RCing Earwig :thumbup:

ALPHA

Return to “RC Aircraft”