Surviving Tigers at Saumur and Vimoutiers

For any reference material such as detail pictures that don't fit into the other categories. Please name your threads accurately!
tanks_for_the_memory
Sergeant

Surviving Tigers at Saumur and Vimoutiers

Post by tanks_for_the_memory »

The Tiger 1 at Vimoutiers following capture by two plucky G.I.s - Arthur aged 8 & Hector aged 10 August 2013.jpg
The Tiger 1 at Vimoutiers following capture by two plucky G.I.s - Arthur aged 8 & Hector aged 10 August 2013.jpg (34.24 KiB) Viewed 546 times
Tiger II, Tiger 1 and Panzer IV at Saumur.jpg
Tiger II, Tiger 1 and Panzer IV at Saumur.jpg (34.73 KiB) Viewed 546 times
I recently arrived back from a family holiday in France where we were able to stop off at the Saumur Tank Museum and visit the site of the Tiger 1 preserved at Vimoutiers. We also visited many of the Normandy Landings sites and museums (Pegasus Bridge being the absolute favourite - my wife included), Villers Bocage and the haunting scene of the notorious massacre at Oradour-Sur-Glane.

For those in fear for my marriage I should point out that there were many other more traditional aspects to our holiday, including walking up the Eiffel Tower (OK, only half-way), swimming pools, canoeing and, of course, plenty of food and drink!

I was able to take a load of shots of tanks, with a special focus on the Tigers, which will provide invaluable help in my Normandy Tiger 1 build (and later projects).

I figured that these might be of use to others on this site (and the web) so I am going to gradually post the most interesting shots. Hopefully it might encourage others to do the same. It might also be useful to provoke discussion about the way in which these important relics should be treated - and the many pitfalls in trying to work out exactly what is authentic when it comes to looking at the real thing..

I should add that I also took many photos of other vehicles at Saumur and elsewhere - especially Stugs and Panthers - but these will have to wait for now.

Information about the location of the Saumur Museum and the Vimoutiers Tiger is readily available on the web, so forgive me if I don't post that here, but please note that they are not close by each other! If anyone wants to visit the museum, however, I can recommend an absolutely fantastic (and quite cheap) hotel which is only 15 minutes drive away.
Last edited by tanks_for_the_memory on Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Mid-Production Normandy Tiger 1 build thread: http://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/forums/v ... =22&t=8350
tanks_for_the_memory
Sergeant

Re: Surviving Tigers at Saumur and Vimoutiers

The Vimoutiers Tiger 1
The Tiger stands beside  a main road just outside the town - not far from where it was abandoned in 1944.jpg
The Tiger stands beside a main road just outside the town - not far from where it was abandoned in 1944.jpg (37.84 KiB) Viewed 545 times
The following is a summary of what can be found on wikipedia at the time of writing:

"The Vimoutiers Tiger tank is on outside display on the outskirts of Vimoutiers in the French departement of Orne, in Normandy. The tank is located on the way out of Vimoutiers heading towards Gacé on Route Départemental D979.

The tank, a Tiger I (Sd.Kfz. 181 Panzerkampfwagen Tiger Ausf. E (late version), serial no. '251 113 AMP' on the turret (AMP refers to the manufacturer Dortmund-Hoerder Huttenverein).

Foundry mark on top of the mantlet - something which would have been covered by zimmerit.jpg
Foundry mark on top of the mantlet - something which would have been covered by zimmerit.jpg (47.08 KiB) Viewed 545 times
The chassis number is currently unknown, numbered 231 (according to the information board next to the tank) belonged to the 2nd Company of the 102nd SS Heavy Panzer Battalion (there is some debate surrounding exactly which unit this tank was attached to, some sources refer to 503rd Heavy Panzer Battalion).

On August 21, 1944, along with several other tanks (Panthers, Panzer III & IVs and other Tigers) plus assorted vehicles, it was heading out of the Falaise pocket to a fuel dump at the Chateau de l'Horloge in Ticheville during the last days of the Battle of Normandy. It is thought the tank ran out of fuel on RN 179 between Lisieux and Alençon just before entering Vimoutiers. The tank’s crew abandoned the tank after setting two explosive charges (which immobilized the turret and damaged the engine decking). Sometime later, advancing units of 2nd Canadian Division (the Black Watch) bulldozed the tank off the road and down an embankment.

After World War II the Tiger was sold to a scrap dealer called Morat who removed easily accessible parts of the tank such as the gear box, hatches, smaller fittings, exhaust cowlings etc. Souvenir hunters over time also removed other items off the tank.
However, for the next 30 years the majority of the tank remained rusting in a ditch. After Morat’s death, ownership passed to another scrap dealer in Caen, but when they attempted to start scrapping the tank, the local people of Vimoutiers decided to purchase the tank as a historical monument for 6,000 Francs.

The tank featured prominently in the May [Issue 8] magazine of After the Battle in 1975.

In October 1975, the Tiger was then removed from the side of the road by Alain Roudeix. The turret was lifted off the reduce weight and the chassis then pulled out of the ditch by a bulldozer. The turret was replaced and the tank was placed on a concrete plinth close to where it was originally abandoned in 1944. Partially restored, the Tiger is now displayed on the outskirts of the town. It was classified as a French Monument historique in December 1975.

Weather and time has caused damage to the Tiger tank. The tank's current paint scheme was applied by a local volunteer and does not closely match the green, dark yellow and red that Tiger tanks had during the Normandy campaign.

As of 2013, the mayor of Vimoutiers began to seek funding for a restoration project. But due to the high cost, the decision on whether to carry out this restoration is being debated by the city council."[/i]

I cannot help thinking that this won't be around in its current state for much longer. To me it seems remarkable that it is still standing (or sitting?) in indifferent Normandy weather close by to where it was abandoned on the retreat from Normandy almost 70 years ago (at the time of writing). Yes, the paint scheme is absurd - but better than many museum jobs I have seen. At least it's camouflaged...

As to plans to 'restore' the tank, well what is left? Certainly a lot is gone. That scrap dealer certainly did a thorough job...

From what I could see of the interior pretty much everything has been stripped out. Many of the exterior fittings have also been removed. All the crew hatches for one. Even the rear engine deck is missing (replaced in a wonderful make-and-do-approach with Panzer IV decking!)
Panxer IV decking replacing the missing parts of the Vimoutiers Tiger.jpg
Panxer IV decking replacing the missing parts of the Vimoutiers Tiger.jpg (45.87 KiB) Viewed 545 times
And yet... a lot remains. What is more, a few anachronisms aside (those engine hatches), what you have is the real deal. Stripped of much of its external fittings and zimmerit (which has obviously fallen away - a topic I will return to with the Saumur Tiger 1) it's naked, brutal and beautiful in it's own way.

More to follow...
My Mid-Production Normandy Tiger 1 build thread: http://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/forums/v ... =22&t=8350
FredtheFrench
Corporal

Post by FredtheFrench »

The Vimoutiers' s tiger is in poor condition. It is the problem in France. The government don' t help the town of Vimoutiers to restore this incredible panzer. Some people in France will prefer to see this tank in an another European country in good condition...

Since few months, few person try to find budget for 2 options.

First option: restore this tiger but for static display.

Second option: restore this tiger but for running condition (this option is almost impossible because the cost is between 500 000 and 1 million Euro!!!).

For the 2 tigers of Saumur (Tiger I and Tiger II), the Tiger 2 is finally repaired because it was down since 3 or 4 years...

For the Tiger I down since a lot of years, normally this tank will have a new pair of combat tracks. This tank will be more amazing with these tracks, because the transport tracks are really ugly.
Sorry for my spelling mistakes, I try to do better every day...
FredtheFrench
Corporal

Post by FredtheFrench »

If somebody is interested, this is a link for Saumur s museum with the dates for the scale models exposure.

And normaly if the Tiger II is not broken down, it will be in running condition with Sherman, T34, Stuart and more but unknown for moment.
tanks_for_the_memory
Sergeant

Fred,

That's great news about the Tiger II being back in running order.

So they have some combat tracks for the Tiger 1? I hope so... I agree it looks a little sad without them. ..

As for your spelling - you should see mon francais!

Tanks
FredtheFrench
Corporal

Post by FredtheFrench »

Thanks for message.

For the Tiger I of Saumur museum, last year I have spoken with a person of this museum and he said than one of track was complete and for the second it just missed few spare tracks.
Johnf
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Johnf »

http://s904.photobucket.com/user/John_F ... 0Tiger%201

This is a link to album photos from Saumur,tiger 1

Zimmerit is not original so do not base your zimmerit on this.

Return to “Other Reference Material”