Stalin's Giants KV-1 & KV-ll

Please post useful reference books that you may have here. Please give a short description with each link.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Stalin's Giants KV-1 & KV-ll

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Afternoon,
I picked this up from Amazon for an upcoming build of the KV-llA. This book has a copyright date of 1992 and has gathered material from several sources including the Bovington Tank Museum and the Bundesarchive in Koblenz. Related from a germanic point of view, all the flaws and issues with these early heavy tanks are clinically laid bare. Present also is a tinge of the awe and fright with which the invading forces of the Werhmacht were colored when they first encountered these monsters in combat. The most useful parts of the book for modelers are the wonderful photographs depicting these tanks in use and some, sadly, destroyed. Expensive for the scarcity of material offered, (48 pages) it is worth it for views of the KV series rarely encountered elsewhere.
regards,
Painless
Attachments
Stalin's Giants
Stalin's Giants
...Here for the Dawn...
lliw180
Lance Corporal

Re: Stalin's Giants KV-1 & KV-ll

Post by lliw180 »

looks like an intersting reed should be help full for a build it would be worth looking in ebay to se if you can get hold of a plastic kit to scale parts off
scratch building is more fun
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Evening,
I'm thinking ahead and do have a 1/72 Kit to build to see how things go together and generally settle out. ;o)
This Book and the other one I found by S. Zaloga will be pretty helpful.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Hey Painless... Sass lent me that book and a couple others when I did my build.... very good read ... and very informative as far as building a standard Kv2 though I do remember a couple pictures of captured tanks... It slips my mind which book it was though....but you can always Pm Mike if you need more info .. the guy has more books than a library 8O

ALPHA
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Morning, Alpha,
There were some pictures of 'Capture' KV-2s in the book. It was amazing to see something only related to as a model be seen actual sized. The soldiers looked like pygmies crawling around on it.
I have threatened Mike with some brain picking already. *chuckles* He is a font of information.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

PainlessWolf wrote:Morning, Alpha,
There were some pictures of 'Capture' KV-2s in the book. It was amazing to see something only related to as a model be seen actual sized. The soldiers looked like pygmies crawling around on it.
I have threatened Mike with some brain picking already. *chuckles* He is a font of information.
regards,
Painless
:haha: :haha: :haha: ...Good for you Painless... I agree Sass is a good person to ask for advice :D

ALPHA

Return to “Reference Books”