KV-1 on the bench

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
palepainter
Sergeant

KV-1 on the bench

Post by palepainter »

So I decided to start today on the KV-1 today. I have spent the past few weeks collecting photos and details, courtesy of this killer site. I have been lucky to find what I needed to get going on this.

First off, I was really impressed with the tank right out of the box. Tear down was pretty simple once I realized there were two screws just in front of the drives on the side of the hull. :) Once I got it split, I took the turret off. A few wires needed to be cut and cataloged for future assembly. Pretty straight forward on the control unit and plugs. Just like the Panther.

I decided to take this one up a notch as far as effort. I am sure you all suffered from this chronic syndrome, detailitis. The references I am using show quite a bit different bolt pattern on the engine covers and rear deck. I am not sure I feel like relocating the. I may, it depends on how many beers I can get into after church tomorrow. :) I added a bunch of small hoops made from heated plastic sprue. I wrapped them around the same diameter material I pulled them from. Then I made bases for each of the hoops to be located in the slight round depressions on the stock HL molds. They will get simulated welding in the future. There were a bunch of holes drilled in places according to my references.

The exhaust stacks were hollowed out with my Dremel. I then removed the bolt heads from the stock plates and doubled up the flange, more to scale. Then I drilled out for 1/8th brass hollow tube to provide conduit for the smoke fest. Added new bolts and ...viola.

On the front, the armor plate was cut and fit. Then I fabricated the horn brackets in the same fashion that the original was, according to my sources. I also hollowed out the headlight and got it set up for a lens in the near future. I lifted the drivers viewing hatch and am contemplating making it my access to power switch. I used a guitar D string for the wiring that is seen on the exterior.

Thanks for all the inspiration and technical information provided here. My daughter will really dig beating me with this KV1 when it is all done. :)

PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: KV-1 on the bench

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Evening, Pale,
That is some beautiful expression of 'detailitis' ;o) I love the way you made the lifting hooks for the rear engine plate. Masterful work. I'll be following this one closely as it has details which will be of great use to me next spring with a KV-2 build I am looking into.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Red Devils
Staff Sergeant

Post by Red Devils »

Looks great palepainter, you off to a great start. Great idea with the guitar string to replicate armoured wire. Well done...

Derek
The Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry
First in the Field - Since 1914.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

:clap: :clap: :clap: Nice job Palepainter... I like all the little details you've paid attention to.. something I usually bypass :haha: ....not to say I'm not tempted to do them... but sometimes I can be the clumsiest of people... and snap things off when carrying something like a tank :thumbdown:

I can tell already this one is going to be a beauty for sure :thumbup:

ALPHA
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

I wish the people I got my KV from had the IR version... it has the recoil right?....though right now I'm not sure it would be adaptable to the KV-2 turret I'm working on

ALPHA
palepainter
Sergeant

Post by palepainter »

Yes. This one came from RC Dynasty with IR ready. Recoil and all.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

palepainter wrote:Yes. This one came from RC Dynasty with IR ready. Recoil and all.
I should have went in that direction as well... but the guys I usually buy from gave me a great deal on shipping...it's still a nice tank though... and it runs great now

What got me is I could have got free ship from RC Dynasty alias MatoMart... this past friday...forgebear has some nice hatches for it... it includes the two for the engine the driver and commanders hatch... it has me thinking for sure ;)

ALPHA
palepainter
Sergeant

Post by palepainter »

Alpha,
Do you have a link to those hatches?
dgsselkirk
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by dgsselkirk »

Hey Palepainter, mine went on the bench on Thurs. :thumbup: My guts are all done with Clark and servo recoil so it was time to detail too! Will follow what you are doing. Good timing eh? :haha:
"There are things in Russia which are not as they seem..."
Georgy Konstantinovich Zhukov
palepainter
Sergeant

Post by palepainter »

Thanks guys. Question. What exactly are these light profile circles on top of turret and front of hull. I can not find decent up close photos to see what is going on. I did see one photo where the "O"s looked like they were circular weld marks.

I got a bit further on the front end today. I added the rivets that were missing on the front fender attachment brackets. Also, I finished up the headlight using some plastic from a CD case. Finally, added the conduit coming over the front of the added armor plate.

Return to “Heng Long Builds”