PRAVDA's Blizzard Buster "GIGANT"

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
ALPHA
Major-General

PRAVDA's Blizzard Buster "GIGANT"

Post by ALPHA »

Here we go again... another addition to the PRAVDA fleet...the KV-1 arrived on Monday....I was able to acquire a turret on Tuesday... via Craigslist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04F4xlWSFh0

With any luck... it will come out like the one in the Pictures

ALPHA
Last edited by ALPHA on Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ALPHA
Major-General

Re: PRAVDA's Blizzard Buster "GIGANT"

Post by ALPHA »

The turret came from a "static" resin kit...The guy I got it from built the KV-1 and no longer had use for the "GIGANT" turret

I have worked with resin before... so I had no reservations in attacking the mission at hand...one thing I found to be beneficial ... I could articulate the periscopes and have them move 360 degrees :D

the rear hatch according to the instructions is supposed to be glued shut...I couldn't live with that .... so I got some micro drills.. bored out the resin hinges and put a brass rod through it ..so now it opens and closes ... with a nice "click" locking it shut

The commander's hatch was taken from the HENG LONG KV-1...I think the original was used by the previous owner for the KV-1...because of the poor HENG LONG design of the dual hinge... it took a little work to have it operating as it should... I heated the original hinge .. bent it a little...then countersunk an area next to the opening of the hatch so it not only open but slide sideways and lock flat

The barrel actuator is mounted via the old mount taken from the KV-1

ALPHA
Last edited by ALPHA on Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
palepainter
Sergeant

Post by palepainter »

Awesome, I look forward to following along. My KV1 got here Monday as well. I have been enjoying some battles with my teenage daughter. :) I am really impressed with the HL KV1.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

After ten hours of drilling grinding..fiting ...and fabrication...this is where I am now

I still have to install the turret spin ring...screw spots so I can secure the upper turret to the lower...main gun clamp...then some small detais

That's the long and the short of it... Enjoy :thumbup:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYjZK_6i37M
ALPHA
Last edited by ALPHA on Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Afternoon,
I _knew_ this was what you were up to. *chuckles* It's looking great!! Resin, eh? I'm interested in the paintability and how the glue sticks. I will definitely have to build the German captured version now. ;o)
warm regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

palepainter wrote:Awesome, I look forward to following along. My KV1 got here Monday as well. I have been enjoying some battles with my teenage daughter. :) I am really impressed with the HL KV1.
I knew I saw a post by you palepainter.. just couldn't find it afterwards...My KV was cursed I think lol...first the tracking number didn't work... contacted the seller.. who is exceptional I must say...who contacted me several times reassuring me that I should get it shortly ... on the fourth day.. (they sent it 3day priority) they contacted me again after I told them I hadn't received it ....they contacted the USPS... who found they had routed it incorrectly...so finally the tracking number worked...when it got to the islands... I called the Post office...they said yeah .. it should be on my door that Monday...I asked the person on the phone.. if he could advise the delivery person to at least leave the package somewhere safer...he said sure ... long story short.. found the box standing on end... not sure if she slammed it... but the main gun was jammed back into the turret... and one of the cable hookup thingies on the front hull broke off

I was a little bummed out... but after an hour she was good as new.... lubed the gearboxes as she ran a little rough... and ran three batteries through her to loosen them up... she purrs now ..

Any way... sounds like you had better luck with yours.... it's pretty cool that your daughter got into it... which tank did you let her use? ... the new one or your panther ?

Have a great Thanksgiving palepainter :thumbup:

ALPHA
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

Very, very nice work. The KV-2 has such a different look than any other KV-type tank. It looks ugly and off-balance; but very menacing at the same time. It will make a great addition to your fleet! -Mike
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

PainlessWolf wrote:Good Afternoon,
I _knew_ this was what you were up to. *chuckles* It's looking great!! Resin, eh? I'm interested in the paintability and how the glue sticks. I will definitely have to build the German captured version now. ;o)
warm regards,
Painless
:haha: Yup you called it Painless :haha: ...this type of resin is good... otherwise I wouldn't have gone for it...it's very similar to the type used in the garage kits or anime figures I used to make more frequently...what I especially like is it's pretty thick.. whoever manufactured it did an outstanding job on the casting..zero flaws..another benefit was that the sprue is even thicker... so I can save it and use it later

This stuff takes paint just as good as any plastic...I would say it's a little higher grade than the old verlinden figures ...you should have seen the mandrel mount :O ...it's a solid block 1x2 and the mandrel was solid as well... I spent some time drilling and grinding it out ...lucky the resin is so user friendly :D

Ten hours though... just trying to envision how things should go ... so it would work properly ...I felt like I was reinventing the wheel :lolno:

I almost gave up ... throw in the towel .. and "buy it now" the German captured version on Ebay :haha:

I'm glad I didn't though.. as she cleaned up pretty well

Have a good Holiday Painless... black Friday shopping by any chance ? :haha:

ALPHA
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

sassgrunt wrote:Very, very nice work. The KV-2 has such a different look than any other KV-type tank. It looks ugly and off-balance; but very menacing at the same time. It will make a great addition to your fleet! -Mike
I agree sassgrunt...She really looks like a tank now .. the KV-1 turret just seems a little small ..but with that said...in some ways it does resemble the urban Pershing

Thanks sassgrunt... yes ... she will be a good addition to the PRAVDA fleet :D ..she didn't have a big part in the anime... but her presence was known :thumbup:

Have an Awesome Thanksgiving :thumbup:

ALPHA
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Afternoon,
Black Friday Shopping? Luna no! Perhaps online if anything. ;o) The KV-2 is imposing and brutal. It loses nothing in appearance sitting next to a Tiger 1.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...

Return to “Heng Long Builds”