Panzer IV Ausf F1 to H Build

KTRob
Lance Corporal

Re: Panzer IV Ausf F1 to H Build

Post by KTRob »

Next mod was to take off the hatches and splash guards with the razor saw:

Shields will be reused, hatches will be replaced with metal.

Transmission hatches get chopped:

As do tools:

Loads of filler!

New splash shield

Transmission hatches on

Bit of primer to check for defects:

Hatches placed for pic. I have reprofiled the splash guard. Filler all rubbed down neat and tidy.
You can never have too many tanks...... :D
KTRob
Lance Corporal

Post by KTRob »

Tonights effort, the start of the Zimmerit on the lower hull:

I did think about the Atak stuff but Milliputs cheaper :haha:
KTRob
Lance Corporal

Post by KTRob »

HERMAN BIX wrote:Curious thing all those cans.
Surely they would only have been placed there for the march ?
Even a casually aimed .50BMG round would see flaming petrol running into every arpeture otherwise :O

Looks like its going to be an action packed build
Hi Herman I assumed they were water cans as mentioned by Painless Wolf? I am actually having a lot of fun with butchering this poor little panzer @)
jarndice wrote:Hi Rob, I always like to see a Panzer 4 build, there are are never enough, scrolling through the builds on the HENG LONG build site will point out the things that need your attention, which is why I shall keep my peace and enjoy your efforts. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: shaun
PS You do know that exacto also sell "KEYHOLE" saw blades don't you? Make a small hole with a pin vise then using the keyhole blade, open up the aperture you are trying for.
Hi Jarndice, If you spot something Iv'e done wrong, do let me know :thumbup: I have a few of those xacto saws but don't get on with them for some reason.
PainlessWolf wrote:Rob,
Great start! I will be following along. Mr. Bix, All of the cans in the front row are water containers. Still must be a march photo as you noted since the ones in the second row look like gasoline cans. None of that lot would stop a .50 cal round from the M2.
regards,
Painless
Hi PainlessWolf, thanks for that, I thought the cans might be water, wouldn't make a lot of sense for petrol to be on the roof, for the reasons Herman mentioned.
jarndice wrote:Herman Hi, I was wondering if this PZ4 was being used in the same role as your "schlepper" to take fuel up the line to those extremely thirsty Tigers but unlike the "schlepper" it can, once it has taken it's load to where it was needed take it's place at the sharp end, just a thought, but if it's going there anyway it has a better chance of success than an Opel Blitz soft skin. :thumbup: shaun
Hi Jarndice, I wondered this, but having had a look online can find almost no info about this particular tank, as I say can only find one picture :think:

Thanks guys will hopefully get some more done soon.

Rob
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I thought water cans were marked with a white cross or band around them ?
Anyway, this is going to be a great read Mr Rob, very extensive - good onya :thumbup:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Herman,
*Orders you up a new pair of Cheaters* Look at the photo, you don't see the white band running across the tops of all of those and down the side of the outermost one? The cans in the front.
You need a good night's sleep, Sir and a rest for the eyes from the Octo patterning.
warm regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Looks like a plank of timber shoved across them all , through the handles and secured to the Schurtzen bracket.
No visible white on the can lower right on the guard, none on the can directly behind the turret front row.......
plus, thats a hell of a lot of water to cart.

I still reckon they must have been only there for the route march/deployment & emptied out along the way.
Imagine the fun a roving Thunderbolt pilot would have with this thing !! 8O

I guess Mr Rob will be cornering the market in jerry cans from all sources very directly :haha:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Herman,
Maybe I need new 'Cheaters'. I can see how it looks like that, like a timber brace now. It doesn't matter that much. This Panzer IV build is going to turn out to be one damn fine tank. ;o) Following along.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

HERMAN BIX wrote:Curious thing all those cans.
Surely they would only have been placed there for the march ?
Even a casually aimed .50BMG round would see flaming petrol running into every arpeture otherwise :O

Looks like its going to be an action packed build
Interesting thought Grasshopper....I had thought the same thing....but if those cans were filled with water instead of gas... they would serve as good projectile stoppers.... a bullet would almost ...and remember I say Almost...come to a dead stop ...maybe not even reach the other end of the can...
Water is a good bullet stopper ;) ....as is dirt which I am older than...and also what could be in those cans :D

ALPHA
tankman

Post by tankman »

Excellent start KTRob, great attention to detail. Shall be following along with interest.
Tankman
philipat
Sergeant

Post by philipat »

I like it. Good work and you move quick. :clap: :thumbup:

Xacto makes keyhole blades!?! I'll have to look into that.

Question: how much did you lower the rear return roller by? And, raise the sprocket? How did you raise the sprocket? Lower hull is coming up soon for me.

Oh, the attachment might be useful for the idler adjuster. It's Asiatam's instructions.
Attachments

[The extension pdf has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Return to “Panzer IV”