World of Tanks (CBT)

Any tank related games you want to share with us? Maybe if you can play it online, you could organise an online battle!
morph1155
Recruit

World of Tanks (CBT)

Post by morph1155 »

I have had a look at the various games displayed and have not yet seen this one. Its called world of tanks and the entire thing is based on world war 2 tanks. Its been called an MMO.

Its a PC Game and requires an internet connection, the best thing about this game is its COMPLETELY FREE.

Its currently in its CBT stages (Closed Beta Testing) but to get an account you just go to the website and sign up. Simply Google world of tanks to find it (unless anyone wants me to post a direct link)

The game itself is straight forward, you start in a beginner tank which is either Russian or German (other nations added on final release) you build experience and in game credits every-time you play. During the CBT phase you also gain 150gold per day to purchase the premium items. (stay away from the Churchill premium tank on the Russian side...its still under powered)

The main focus seems to be on team death match/base capture...meaning that the first team to be destroyed or loose its base looses that round. Like any game there are immature kids playing and sometimes this shows in the language and behavior.

Anyway I've included a screen shot taken by me...its actual in game footage and the destroyed tank in the middle of the screen is me after scouting to far ahead and being lit up like a Christmas tree by a couple of Tigers. I was in my Panzerkampfwagen IV medium tank. screen shot has been reduced in size for uploading..
dead.jpg
dead.jpg (70.99 KiB) Viewed 7271 times
I asked a friend to help clean a tank I was using, he turned up with a small sponge and some tropical fish flakes. He almost fainted when I took him out in the garden and there was a full sized replica of a sherman parked there.
Scooby

Re: World of Tanks (CBT)

Post by Scooby »

This looks pretty good for a free game :D

It looks similar to a WW2 real time strategy game called Men of War, and that game costs money!
morph1155
Recruit

Post by morph1155 »

Its not bad at all, it can get annoying at times, specially when your top 3 tanks on your team are Tigers and the other team has 2x King Tigers and a ferdinand. It sometimes tends to get a little one sided. But then you have the choice of light, medium and heavy tanks, SPG's and Tank Destroyers. At the min theres only German and Russian but they are bringing in US, French and a few others.
I asked a friend to help clean a tank I was using, he turned up with a small sponge and some tropical fish flakes. He almost fainted when I took him out in the garden and there was a full sized replica of a sherman parked there.
30+
Private

Post by 30+ »

I've been playing this game for about three months now and I think it is a nice way to relax after work etc. I operate a two Tank Destroyers and one SPG, and allthough my TDs are obsolete, I still manage to score a large number of kills. Many players fall for the idea behind the game, that is to go from one low rated tank to a better one, and that without end. But the thing is, your vehicle is only effective when your crew is at 100% and have a high percentage in a skill, and by constantly changing vehicle you also spend a lot more gold than really needed. Also, it costs valueable credits to constantly retrain your crews and to buy newer and better vehicles. So I've chosen to stay with a few vehicles that are considered obsolete, get my crew up to 100% and then do my thing on the battle field.

The snags with the game are a (in many cases) total lack of tactics, the constant laging and the constant interrupting of the server. Often everybody will simply charge off towards the enemy and leave the flag and the SPGs hiding near it totally undefended, and often these mad charges results in the enemy knocking out the major part of the friendly tanks, leaving the one or two tanks defending the flag with an impossible task. Okey, once I got lucky with one of my TDs and was able to knock out four enemies who were capturing our flag on my own, but often you get knocked out in those situations. In the SPG role, you are totally dependent on the friendly tanks keeping any threats away from you, but in their inability to do so you end up being knocked out in 90% of the battles.

Just to compare numbers, in the TD role I've so far knocked out 130 (78%) enemy vehicles in 165 battles compared to just 30 (60%) kills in 50 battles in the SPG role (I'm not counting the experience with the Leichttraktor :haha: ).

As for now, I'll go premium for two to three months when WoT goes off the Beta stage, but not any longer - 7.500 Gold will be more than enough for me to buy and research the tanks I intend to use in the future WoT.

Cheers, Jens
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Hey guy's this is very interesting to me. Could we not log on as a unified team with a strategy where we support each other? Or is that just not possible? I generally am not very good at these games but would like to learn. But most games I;ve tried are mastered by my Son and my Nephew and all I get to do is die fast.

Would one of you post a link so I get to check this out? I'm sure if I try google search I will get lost. cheers Sax

P.S,Scooby would it be possible to have a forum type access to a game that can only be played by members on the forum? Even if it cost extra that would be an interesting addition to our forum.
30+
Private

Post by 30+ »

Just saw in the official WoT forum, that the official ETA for the non-Beta version is February 2011.

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php ... ntry216243

Cheers, Jens
jugbutt
Recruit

Post by jugbutt »

30+ wrote:I've been playing this game for about three months now and I think it is a nice way to relax after work etc. I operate a two Tank Destroyers and one SPG, and allthough my TDs are obsolete, I still manage to score a large number of kills. Many players fall for the idea behind the game, that is to go from one low rated tank to a better one, and that without end. But the thing is, your vehicle is only effective when your crew is at 100% and have a high percentage in a skill, and by constantly changing vehicle you also spend a lot more gold than really needed. Also, it costs valueable credits to constantly retrain your crews and to buy newer and better vehicles. So I've chosen to stay with a few vehicles that are considered obsolete, get my crew up to 100% and then do my thing on the battle field.

The snags with the game are a (in many cases) total lack of tactics, the constant laging and the constant interrupting of the server. Often everybody will simply charge off towards the enemy and leave the flag and the SPGs hiding near it totally undefended, and often these mad charges results in the enemy knocking out the major part of the friendly tanks, leaving the one or two tanks defending the flag with an impossible task. Okey, once I got lucky with one of my TDs and was able to knock out four enemies who were capturing our flag on my own, but often you get knocked out in those situations. In the SPG role, you are totally dependent on the friendly tanks keeping any threats away from you, but in their inability to do so you end up being knocked out in 90% of the battles.

Just to compare numbers, in the TD role I've so far knocked out 130 (78%) enemy vehicles in 165 battles compared to just 30 (60%) kills in 50 battles in the SPG role (I'm not counting the experience with the Leichttraktor :haha: ).

As for now, I'll go premium for two to three months when WoT goes off the Beta stage, but not any longer - 7.500 Gold will be more than enough for me to buy and research the tanks I intend to use in the future WoT.

Cheers, Jens
Thanks for the input on the crew!! :thumbup: I just started and it is great.....
Just doing a little Tanking around!!!!
TexasTC
Private

Post by TexasTC »

I start my crews at 75% if I get a new crew. I retrain old crews in new tanks for 20k a crewman and get about 90%. I have 5 tanks at the moment. 2 I always keep (Tiger I and Jagdpanther) A US T29, a US T20 and a Stug. All but the Stug have 100% crews, and yes it makes a big difference, 75% is a big difference from the starting point of 50% too. I have 3 full tank crews in the barracks at 100% also. I tend to buy a sell tanks alot. Especially the German mediums and TDs. Ill sell the Stug and buy a Marder II and vice versa. Panzer IVs and the VKs too. I could have had the top tiered tanks months ago but I stick with Tier 7s because I just cant seem to save up enough credits to get the bigger ones lol. I spend it as fast as I get it. They say there is a huge Russian bias as far as tanks go, Russians seem to be the tougher tanks, but I stick with the Germans and some US tanks. I have a blast everynight. Love it. Especially the Jagdpanther.
rebel without a clue
30+
Private

Post by 30+ »

Recently I've tried the American heavy tank T1 and I'm pleased with it, so after my T1 Heavy finally reached the Elite level, I decided to upgrade to the M6 (it was the production version of the Heavy Tank T1, which was a prototype - 40 units were built, but none of them left the USA!), since this tank has a thicker frontal armour. Well the M6 (Tier 6) only encountered heavy tanks, that way outclassed it, so I decided to sell it and return to the T1 Heavy again.

Well by doing so, my T1 crew, which I got trained to 100% throughout, now has dropped to 83%, all because I decided to go against my own experience, which told me that it was a very bad idea...

Cheers, Jens
TexasTC
Private

Post by TexasTC »

I loved the T1 and M6. I had a lot of success with each, and only sold the to buy the T29 (which is aweome). I still have my T1 crew in barracks. The M4 easy 8 is also a great tank on the medium tree. Once upgraded with a rammer it can kill anything, can go toe to toe with a Tiger and get 3 shots to every one of the Tigers shots. I have 9 tanks now. King tiger, jagdpanther, ferdinand, panzer IV, Stug III, T29, easy 8, M41 spg and something else. With the 5x experience this week, its easy to grind up the trees.
rebel without a clue

Return to “Games”