Steel Division 2

Any tank related games you want to share with us? Maybe if you can play it online, you could organise an online battle!
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Steel Division 2

Post by Raminator »

I ended up playing quite a lot of Steel Division 2 in between house moves when all my hobby stuff was packed up, and during downtime when I wasn't feeling well enough to sit at my bench. It's primarily a real-time tactics wargame, but also has turn-based strategic game modes (broken up with RTT battles). It's a continuation of Eugen Systems' Wargame series focusing on the Eastern Front during Operation Bagration in summer 1944, featuring Wehrmacht, Waffen-SS, Soviet, Finnish, Romanian, Hungarian and Polish units.

phpBB [video]

You play as a battlegroup from your selected division based on their TO&E during the campaign. You build up a "deck" of unit "cards" which you can introduce during the battle, which is broken up into three phases; phase A is basically reconnaissance in force, phase B is your meeting engagement, and phase C is where your reserves come in. You can customise the way each division plays, because the phase in which you choose your cards will influence their availability, for example you could have one Tiger I right at the beginning of the battle, or four during phase C. I've had good results by doubling-down on waves of Panzer IIIs in phase A (denying the enemy strategic ground), as well as holding the line until phase C to bring out two platoons' worth of IS-2s to break through whatever defenses they may have built up.

I've noticed a few weird details on some tanks (they might be basing some of their in-game models on plastic kits?), but you're typically playing from a birds-eye view to keep an eye on the tactical situation.

Otherwise it's a great-looking game with a lot of content and replayability, even if you don't play against other people online.

It's currently on sale on Steam for 66% off, which is a bit of a steal. I think the general deluxe version includes almost all of the expansions and add-ons.
STHV
Lance Corporal

Re: Steel Division 2

Post by STHV »

That Panther is....interesting to say the least
Panther Ausf D (WIP)
Panther Ausf A mit Brückentafel (WIP)
Panther Ausf G (WIP)
Jagdpanther G2 (WIP)
Tiger II (WIP)
Pz.Kpfw. VIII Maus V2 (WIP)
Pz.Kpfw. II Ausf L (WIP)
Sd.Kfz. 234/2 (WIP)
Leopard 1A4/1A1A1 (WIP)
Turm III (WIP)
VK 45.01 (H) (WIP)
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Steel Division 2

Post by Raminator »

Like I said, there are some odd-looking models here and here but you're mostly playing zoomed out to view a few kilometres' worth of frontline at any one time.

I probably should have mentioned that they've added some pretty neat features to help with unit management, you can assign groups of units "smart orders" to capture or hold particular areas so that you can focus on the bigger strategic picture or micromanage a select handful of units without having to worry about your lines collapsing.

Return to “Games”