PC-Game "IL 2 - Sturmovik - tank crew"

Any tank related games you want to share with us? Maybe if you can play it online, you could organise an online battle!
Koenigstiger 007
Recruit

PC-Game "IL 2 - Sturmovik - tank crew"

Post by Koenigstiger 007 »

Hello,

for some time there has been an "offshoot" of the PC game "IL 2 - Sturmovik" - tank crew. In contrast to the common online games "WOT" or "Warthunder", shooting is not done by means of speed and in bulk, but manual work (sight settings) and tactics are still required here.
The game is still in the "EA version" (early access) - but is already showing continuous improvements through constant mods. In addition to the German Tiger I (shown with almost complete interior furnishings!), The Panther in version D is now also available. The Russian howitzer SU-152 and he German tank destroyer "Ferdinand" have also been announced for 2020.
With the editor, you can create your own single missions on the corresponding cards (several for Russia - Rhineland and now also Normandy) after a short period of familiarization. A map from World War I with the German A7V tank and the English and French tanks is still being planned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkcyMQRcK0c

I think it's an ideal addition for us tank model builders, as more and more models with an almost complete interior are now coming onto the market. You can now sit in "your" tank and act. Some freaks are also in the process of designing the exterior of the tanks based on the models in the corresponding camouflage paint.

Greetings

Guenther
>>make love - not Schrott (scrap metal)
STHV
Lance Corporal

Re: PC-Game "IL 2 - Sturmovik - tank crew"

Post by STHV »

Its great seeing a correctly modelled Panther D, I'll have to download this and have a look for myself
Panther Ausf D (WIP)
Panther Ausf A mit Brückentafel (WIP)
Panther Ausf G (WIP)
Jagdpanther G2 (WIP)
Tiger II (WIP)
Pz.Kpfw. VIII Maus V2 (WIP)
Pz.Kpfw. II Ausf L (WIP)
Sd.Kfz. 234/2 (WIP)
Leopard 1A4/1A1A1 (WIP)
Turm III (WIP)
VK 45.01 (H) (WIP)
B_Man
Corporal

Post by B_Man »

Very keen to have a look at this game but the price and high likely hood of me needing to upgrade my ageing graphics card are keeping me away for now.
Electricdemon66
Recruit

Post by Electricdemon66 »

I have only just recently bought the base version of IL 2, in which you only get a sample of the tank crew element with a T-34, PzIII and only basic training missions. To get all the bells and whistles I think you have to buy the latest dlc, which makes it fairly pricey unless Steam have them on sale. From what I've played of it, first impressions aren't bad and its certainly a nice change from World of Tanks and Warthunder with the potential to evolve into something great.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Thanks for the tip, Guenther! I was a fan of the original IL 2 Sturmovik, which set very high standards in graphics for the time. :thumbup:
It was, in fact, my only video game
and flight simulator; but now that a tank version is being developed, well... I must hunt, in the loft, for my old joystick :D :|
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
db_zero
Recruit

Post by db_zero »

I recently got IL2 tank crew. I’ve been an IL2 fan since it first came out-been into flight sims since I got Falcon in the 80’s.

Tank crew is definitely a work in progress. Has lots of promise. I don’t play it much as it’s still feel clunky to me. Seems like joysticks don’t work as well as the mouse for Tank crew. Some have definitely mastered it by the looks of their posting on YouTube. Some of the battles like Kursk look intense.

IL2 BOS and Kuban is very good. I also have Bodenplate and most of the add on planes. Also have Cliffs of Dover and can’t wait for the North Africa module to come out this month.

If you’re into modern armored warfare check out Steel Beasts Pro. It is pricey $125 USD and uses a security USB stick. Learning curve is somewhat steep. Used as a training sim by some militaries.

I’m an offline player. Others have online wars with teams. If you do a search on YouTube you can see videos of online battles.

I play Combat Mission h2h quite a bit.

Also play other sims, probably own most. One of my hobbies...
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

I love the YouTube videos of the Tiger tank action! I’ll have to get a new PC and the necessary game gear to play. However, is it true that it takes two player to both drive and shoot. I want to be able to do everything by myself.
db_zero
Recruit

Post by db_zero »

They still have lots of work to do on IL2 Tank Crew so by the time it’s in final release you may be able to do everything seemlessly it all depends on how they implement.

You can do driver, gunner and tank commander in Steel Beasts. When you’re the TC you can use keyboard and/or mouse to move tank. You can switch between positions seemlessly. You also can use the F5 key to go to a map where you can plot movements, tactics and other things.Then jump back into vehicles. Once you’re actually in the tank you can use keyboard to command you tank and units assigned under your command. There are also other units not under your command in the fight. I find it very elegant once you get the hang of it. You also have infantry, artillery you can plot and call in, attack helicopters, engineers, air defense units to use.

I don’t know what the plans are for IL2 Tank Commander are and how they plan to fit it in with IL2 BOS, but they should look at how Steel Beasts has been designed and implemented and maybe just copy it...
B_Man
Corporal

Post by B_Man »

If you're looking for another tank sim "Steel Armour Blaze of War" is well worth a look for some Cold War action:
I picked it up at a Steam sale a couple of years ago and it's a great game. Like other sims the learning curve is steep but it's worth putting the time in.
db_zero
Recruit

Post by db_zero »

I noticed that Gravteam puts out Steel Armor, even though someone else originally designed it. I took a look on YouTube and I’ll get It. The interface and operational part is almost identical to the Gravteam Tactics series which I do have. I can believe the learning curve is steep. Gravteams interface design is something you love, hate or get used to eventually. They also don’t hold your hand, you have to figure out how things work and that can be off putting to some.

In Gravteam tactics, if you want fire support you not only you not only need an officer or observer who has the ability to call down fire, you need to have line of sight, and if using a field telephone, have to have your infantry run the telephone lines to all parties involved in the process just to name a few of the factors involved. This level of detail can frustrate many, especially given the fact there are minimal tutorials and many things are not explained.

Fortunately there are good tutorials on YouTube that explains things.

If you do take the time to learn it all you can see some very cinematic battles.

Return to “Games”