World of tanks

Any tank related games you want to share with us? Maybe if you can play it online, you could organise an online battle!
wibblywobbly
Major

Re: World of tanks

Post by wibblywobbly »

Just to say that if anyone else has wondered whether they can junk Windows altogether and play it on Linuxmint, well you can. I spent a while figuring it out the last few days. Did a write up here.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 5#p1050004

It runs 'almost' perfectly. its just my ancient cpu that is messing it up, so I have ordered a new i5/motherboard as this will transform my set up.

Rob
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

I had to throw in the towel with WOT and Linux, after 9.9 I couldn't get it to run so gave up. I now have an account sat there with a garage full of tanks and fully trained crew and can't use any of it. That's about 5 years worth of game play. :/

I made the switch to War Thunder, way more difficult to play than WOT, but far more realistic and graphics that are out of this world (mine are sharper than this video). The difficulty means that the youngsters tend to stay away from it, so the battles are better. I recommend it to anyone who wants a decent tank game, just be prepared for some tough gameplay, and non stop concentration.

Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Armoured warfare is the new one I'm playing now. Try it - similar to wot but modern tanks.
doc larsson
Staff Sergeant

Post by doc larsson »

Wibbly

ever played WT tanks in full sim ? Great if you know your tanks. I've had quite a few teammates killed by blue on blue cos they get nervous when they don't know the silhouette that is the target lol. As for no kids on, not quite true some of my clan ANVlL are quite young and know their stuff. Best tank game i've played on line is Arma 2/3. You have a 3 man crew in each abrams/t72. brilliant working with 2 other crew in a tank. On WT my tag is Doc Larsson...strange that !
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

I haven't tried full sim yet as I haven't figured out how to configure my game controller to work under Linux, so I only have quick keys for fwd, rev, left and right, plus zooming in on the target. Trying to play on a keyboard with two hands does my head in. I should make the effort and get it sorted really as sim mode is very much like the T34 vs Tiger game, and I used to really enjoy that as you control all aspects of the tank, and the crew.

By the kids, I meant that you don't get the torrent of abuse that is common on WOT, or the team kills etc. I think that what keeps the neanderthals away is the repair time, and the need to think about strategy all the time. I get eyes strain very quickly when playing as my eyeballs are darting all over the place looking for tanks that are about to blow me to bits!
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
doc larsson
Staff Sergeant

Post by doc larsson »

Wibbly

"By the kids, I meant that you don't get the torrent of abuse that is common on WOT, or the team kills etc. I think that what keeps the neanderthals away " totally get that but cant you turn temchat off ? played WoT once on my mates' pc and wasn't impressed !!! We use TS3 to speak to each other in tanks so strategy,tactics etc are all sorted pre-entry of game.if you have teamspeak 3 feel free to come on !
216.127.64.92:18149 is the channel. i've played spits with tomhugill and that was fun ! more of a pilot (rank 96) just waiting on them making the british tree free. some of my guys have "black princes" and love them more than tigers ! hope to play alongside mate ! I use only mouse and keyboard in arcade but am learning the joystick in full flight sim !
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Turning off chat was precisely what I did, it did become more enjoyable after that. However, since switching to War Thunder I don't think I would ever go back. I wish there was somewhere that I could sell the WOT account, but as its against their rules to do that I guess it will just have to sit there doing nothing from now on.

I will see if I can master the sim controls, and if so I'll look you all up. As for Black Prince's and T34's....may as well ping peas at a battleship (though flanking a T34 yields results).
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Wobbly try armoured warfare - no idiots so far :D
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

I think I checked and it won't run on Linux. My super modern pc hardware won't run Vista, so my hard drive with Windows is useless. War Thunder runs like a dream as it has a Linux option. :clap:
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Ah ok, I got a gaming PC for 'every day use' or that's what I told her indoors :D

Return to “Games”