my war films with Tanks in

Do you know of any good tank related movies or simple decent war movies? Post them here for all of us to enjoy!
tiger205
Warrant Officer 1st Class

my war films with Tanks in

Post by tiger205 »

hi guys
          i now have copies of "kelly's hero's", "the dirty dozen", and "where eagles dare", i got a free software download called dvd shrink 3.2 http://www.brothersoft.com/downloads/dv ... k-3.2.html you can get it here, i am not really PC minded but this software is really easy to use, i managed to (back up ;)) the films i now have and they play on any dvd player and are region free a bonus i think

Tony 8)

"Er, der kämpft und Lebend davonläuft,
Lebt um einem anderen Tag zu kämpfen".
Crispy
Sergeant

Re: my war films with Tanks in

Post by Crispy »

I love the idea of the film but I have a real problem with Where Eagles Dare. I love the begining and the building tension, the guys get into the German town and its all getting really good... and then a bloody helicopter lands in the castle courtyard...  >:( ? Its not even like they tried to make it look like anything that may have been possible in WW2. Just taken a Koren era Bell 47 and painted some fake ribbing on the bubble canopy... I mean WTF!!!!

Totally spoils its for me when things like that happen in films. Did you know that Black Hawk Down may have been filmed using Hueys inplace of hte UH60's! Ridley Scott had them on stand by just incase the US Army decided they wouldnt lend them the real thing for the film... how bad would that have looked.

The ultimate Hollywood SNAFU for me was in the film Independance Day. You have a 10 mile wide flying saucer sitting over Los Angeles. The airforce send up its brave pilots to take it down, and whats their weapon of choice...? A sidewinder! A shrapnel weapon....!!!! againts and 10 mile wide flying city...!!!!! Yeah well done to the screen writers there, give yourselves a cigar ::)

P.S. Sorry for the rant fellas, you can tell this bugs me a little.
Last edited by Crispy on Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You aint gettin me on no plane fool!
tiger205

Post by tiger205 »

hi crispy
            no i cant see that it bugs you ;D ;D ;D, i know what you mean though, things like that do spoil a film, but back in the 60's and 70's the budget for the films was less than we spend on our tanks :o, i only copied where eagles dare and the dirty dozen because they come with kelly's hero's, which in my opinion is the best war film ever

Tony 8)

Crispy
Sergeant

Post by Crispy »

Its good to know I'm not alone  ;D

Don’t get me wrong, I love all three of those films. Maybe that’s why it bugs me so much as the rest of the film is great. I just need to remember to get up and make a coffee or something just before that scene  ::)

Saw The Battle of the Bulge for the first time last week and well, what can I say. I guess I wasn’t expecting much from what I'd heard so it didn’t bother me. I was quite impressed that they didn’t seem to get a single vehicle correct in the whole film, even the jeeps were the wrong type. But as you say I those days the budget went on the actors not the props.

It’s the production team and the filming that makes the difference. Its wasn’t until I'd bought my Tamy Tiger 1 years ago and was watching Saving Private Ryan in slow more for references that I realised they weren’t using Tigers. Still looked pretty convincing though.

Of course its me that’s the problem. If I hadn’t grown up making models and reading war books I wouldn’t know my Achilles from my Zimmerit. I'd be quite happy sitting through these films thinking "Oh yes, that’s a German tank... I has a cross on it"
tiger205

Post by tiger205 »

crispy youre not alone, i love the films myself, but it is a shame that all the vehicles are american, not a bad thing if its the american army, but the german army!!!!!!! still good films for the time, now we have CGI so films in the future should be accurate

Tony 8)

FireflyKeith
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by FireflyKeith »

Its not just the crap budget they had for these films but the lack of German armour available, i mean there are not to many Tigers or KT's about now or back in the 60's and 70's  :(
Woz

Post by Woz »

Crispy wrote:
The ultimate Hollywood SNAFU for me was in the film Independance Day. You have a 10 mile wide flying saucer sitting over Los Angeles. The airforce send up its brave pilots to take it down, and whats their weapon of choice...? A sidewinder! A shrapnel weapon....!!!! againts and 10 mile wide flying city...!!!!! Yeah well done to the screen writers there, give yourselves a cigar ::)
But these are "Hollywood" sidewinders, you've seen what happens to a vehicle when it's hit with a few Hollywood bullets imagine the damage a sidewinder could do.

A Hollywood pistol is more devastating then this - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc-ayCF3RF4
Last edited by Woz on Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
FireflyKeith

Post by FireflyKeith »

LOL, Another alternative is they could have dropped some of those exploding cars on top of the UFO  ;D ;D
Crispy
Sergeant

Post by Crispy »

Woz & FireFlyKeith you both have a good point there  :D All they needed to do was get an old taxi cab up onto the flying saucer and then get Arnie to shoot the petrol tank with his Desert Eagle hand cannon.... job done!

Does anyone watch the TV show Mythbusters? They try to prove or disprove myths, legends or just general stuff that normally involves shooting, blowing up or generally destroying things. They've done a lot of hollywood myths and have proven car doors dont stop bullets, petrol tanks only explode if they're shot with tracer ammo and its as good as impossible to kill a sniper by shooting him through his own scope lens.
tiger205

Post by tiger205 »

when we all get together at one of the meets this year bovington or the like, lets do a remake of the battle of the bulge in 1/16, it would be a real laugh, and probably far more accurate ;D

Tony 8)

Return to “Movies”