Movie Tanks (I know its not a real battle)!!!!

Do you know of any good tank related movies or simple decent war movies? Post them here for all of us to enjoy!
Matdragon
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Movie Tanks (I know its not a real battle)!!!!

Post by Matdragon »

only 8 months to go!
tiger205
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tiger205 »

you two really do make us old farts feel like coffin dodgers ;D ;D, as for me, i'm 3 times youre age, and i made my 1st model(airfix of course)something like 30yrs before you two were born. as my grandad used to say to me, "youre barely out of nappies", still we old farts can pass our knowledge on to you young whipper snappers ;D ;D ;D

Tony 8)
ps. my 1st model was a 1/72 airfix bristol blenheim

"Er, der kämpft und Lebend davonläuft,
Lebt um einem anderen Tag zu kämpfen".
BREL
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BREL »

I started building arfix kits when I was 8 or 9 years old about 38 years ago,
I had Nelsons flag ship the Victory for a Christmas present in 1972 or 1973, my dad helped me do the rigging and it looked great sitting on the sideboard painted yellow and black with a copper bottom and a full set of sails on the masts and spars. sadly it got broken in a house move about three years later
Mezzerik
Lance Corporal

Post by Mezzerik »

sorry to hear that brel
Your Pershing will stand no chance against my tank.

After a long time away...I have returned.
BREL
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BREL »

Mezzerik wrote: sorry to hear that brel
i was at the time because I had put a lot of work into building the model but now over  33 years later I can still remember how I felt when I got the ship out of the box it had been put in to find it broken.
tiger205

Post by tiger205 »

brel, i know exactly what you mean, a few of years ago i bought a 1/100 model of the victory, and i spent 2yrs building it and i was only 2- 3rds the way through, when, i had to go out one day, when i got back home, i found to my horror the dogs had eaten it, it looked worse than the real victory did after the battle of trafalger, i was gutted :'( :'(

Tony 8)

Mezzerik
Lance Corporal

Post by Mezzerik »

The dogs had eaten it? OMG the navy have a new threat, ship eating dogs of to the stern Capt'n
Your Pershing will stand no chance against my tank.

After a long time away...I have returned.
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Post by Ex_Pat_Tanker »

"she cann'ne take na more cap'n! she's given all she's got to thee dogs!"  ;D ;D ;D
(ok yes, I grew up watching startrek reruns...  ;) )
anyway...
I seem to recall that I trashed most of my dads models as a small child - probably because my mum would let me play with them while he was out watching football games...
He used to have a 1/16 or 1/25 Cheiftain when I was a toddler (mid 70's) I can remember being scared silly by the whining and grinding noises it made! All that is left of it now is the gear boxes (which look like what HL copied, if memory serves...?) he only kept them because he thought they would come in handy for a model railway turntable drive...

I'd give anything to have that Cheiftain now  :'( :'( :'(
tiger205

Post by tiger205 »

when i was a kid i used to wreck my own models, the planes i made spitfires me109's etc, i would spuirt with lighter fuel and set them on fire and lob them out the bedroom window, looked good at the time, i also put bangers under some of my tanks, you should see what a banger could do to a 1/72 or 1/35 model tank ;D ;D ;D, bangers back in my day were real bangers not like the little fire crackers you get now :-[

Tony 8)

Ex_Pat_Tanker

Post by Ex_Pat_Tanker »

we used to use old models for air rifle target practice as well - the lad that made most of our 'range targets' sucked at model making so they were no great loss... loading pellets backwards so that they acted as hollow point rounds was especially impressive!

I agree that they don't make fireworks like they used to - we spent many happy hours firing bottle rockets and tossing bangers at each other whilst at Uni, the nanny state (aka Tony Blair) banned most of then the following year tho :(

But it could be worse - here in Michigan its illegal to have fireworks that shoot more than 6ft in the air - you either live out in the sticks where nobody notices/cares OR you invite all of your neighbours AND the local cops around so that nobody reports you...
Last edited by Ex_Pat_Tanker on Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Movies”