My List Of Movies With Tanks In

Do you know of any good tank related movies or simple decent war movies? Post them here for all of us to enjoy!
Ecam
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: My List Of Movies With Tanks In

Post by Ecam »

Just did a little research and found I was way off on the aircraft. First film was an Allison powered Mustang and the later flick used a Fiat G.59 (which I have never heard of before).
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
greengiant

Post by greengiant »

You may well be right on the tank. Wonder how many of that type are still in private hands worldwide.
greengiant

Post by greengiant »

Ecam, you were right, the Grant used in the 1995 movie was an Aussie one which had been rebuilt by a private collector from a real rusted up hulk with its main gun missing and the wrong turret all of which he corrected. Shortly after the movie was made he died and the tank was exported somewhere out of Australia. where it went I couldn't find out.
The fiat G59 was a ww2 Italian fighter. So using it in the film was more accurate then the P51 the first film used and don't know if the Germans used them. Haven't found where they got it yet .
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Greengiant,Hi,
I have to tell you there was never a FIAT Aircraft design with the title "G59" in WW2,the "G" Prefix ended with the "G56". :(
The "G59" Was a post war design which consisted of a "G55"(BIS) Centauro fuselage mated to a "Rolls Royce Merlin" engine, it was a very nice handling trainer with little demand for its services.
BUT there was the "G50" Freccia, a squadron of which served in Belgium at "Ursel" in October 1940 flying in Italian colours.
There are some unconfirmed reports that they overflew southern England.
Then there was perhaps one of the best Italian fighters of WW2 the Fiat "G55" Centauro, it had a short career, the Italian forces capitulating in September 1943 and the aircraft had only just gone into production BUT the centre of production was in German occupied Italy and an Autonomous Squadron was formed based in Turin, there were about 150 of this Daimler Benz DB605 engined type built and they were well regarded by the Germans but I do not know whether they flew in the Markings of the German or the Italian air force,
And then there was the nearly Fiat,
The "G56" the last of the "G" series type numbers, This was equipped with the larger Daimler Benz DB603A a derivative of the 605 but more powerful, it was flown as a Prototype in German markings and tested against the Focke Wulf 190A and the Messerschmitt BF109G it was considered better in all aspects of the "Dogfight" although manoeuvrability was considered inferior to the "G55",
Only one was built and flown.
There is far to little known of the combat history and markings of these top class Italian Aircraft.
If you or anyone can provide me with reliable sources I would be most grateful,
The details I have given are from the Aviation Maestro William Green,
A true expert in the field of military aircraft history of WW2.
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
greengiant

Post by greengiant »

That particular G59(AB) was built in 1950 so I guess you are correct that it wasn't built during ww2. Although there were some built which may have had different model numbers with straight v engines as test units with different gun configurations and 3 blade German props like the ME109 had that never really went to war and look surprisingly like this postwar example.
I've found this one was purchased in Italy in 1998 by a person named Guido Zaccholis a bigtime warbird fan who had it shipped first to the US to be rebuilt to flying condition (this was when the American engine and mustang 4 blade prop were installed) by Sanders aviation. He then had it shipped to Australia and registered there in 1989. He pasted away in 1997 so its possible he still owned it when it was used in the movie.
After that it gets a bit murky. Sanders had it again and was trying to repair some interior wing corrosion which grounded it but it seems he must have repaired it as it was still flying in 2015 but I couldn't find out who currently owns it but there are many pics of it in its 2 seater configuration at an Italian (I think) warbird airshow. The pics were all taken by an Italian guy and are copyrighted.
It is apparently the only model 59 still flying. with 7 in museums as display pieces.
condorman994
Recruit

Post by condorman994 »

One film you all missed is "Big Red 1" with Lee Marvin in one scene he is inside a Sherman tank helping a local woman giving birth using ammo belts to keep her legs open
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Ice Cold in Alex has a Sexton in it, the scene where they bury the nurse and the Germans turn up in it.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
971wright
2nd Lieutenant

Post by 971wright »

Hi There is a British film called They were not Divided ,google it you can down load off the web , loads of Shermans even has a couple of Tigers in it real ones ,not T34 look a like conversions watch it here http://ffilms.org/they-were-not-divided-1950/

regards pete

P.S. Tiger is at 51 minutes and 52 Minutes loads of Fireflys
greengiant

Post by greengiant »

Thanks 971. Interesting flick if you cut to the various battle or road travel scenes. although the scenes are usually so close up or the tanks to covered with camo sticks and leaves or smoke screens to really see much of their detail. Interesting was all the graffiti on the Sherman's. Liked how it showed that the speed and numbers of Shermans ran around the Tiger and took it out.
doc larsson
Staff Sergeant

Post by doc larsson »

anyone notice "Q" from bond at 51 minutes ?

Return to “Movies”