Danger Close: Battle of Long Tan

Do you know of any good tank related movies or simple decent war movies? Post them here for all of us to enjoy!
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Danger Close: Battle of Long Tan

Post by Estnische »

Hi guys, just dropped in for a brief visit as I thought I'd bring up a new Australian movie 'Danger Close' - a movie based on Australia's largest engagement in the Vietnam War. Stars Travis Fimmel from 'Vikings' and Daniel Webber from 'The Dirt'.

From an armour point of view it features a fleet of M113s coming to the rescue.

Good points: - bullets and bombs from start to finish. Also there is no love interest or other distractions from the actual battle.

Bad points: - the North Vietnamese are portrayed only as cannon fodder. There is now plenty of documentation of their perspective of the battle, so it could have paid some respect there. The Vietnamese certainly respected the Australians.

Debatable points: - there appears to be a lot of insubordination and some grand-standing by officers. I don't recall that being raised in the Lex McAulay book or in documentary interviews with the real participants. Maybe I have forgotten.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Danger Close: Battle of Long Tan

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Glad you popped in, Brett! Thanks for the review too. Like you, my visits have been few and far between lately, but for different reasons (new pup in town).
I'll certainly check this out. If you come across any other watch-worthy offerings, especially those themed around the Finnish and Baltic campaigns, do let us know. :thumbup:
Roy.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.

Return to “Movies”