'Battle for Moscow' aka 'Panfilov's 28'...

Do you know of any good tank related movies or simple decent war movies? Post them here for all of us to enjoy!
43rdRecceReg
Major

'Battle for Moscow' aka 'Panfilov's 28'...

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

There are lots of war movies out there, and some are even worth watching. Good war movies containing immersive tank action are somewhat harder to find. That said, I enjoyed 'Panfilov's 28', marketed on DVD as : "The Battle for Moscow' (2016, Dir: Kim Druzhinin). It's based on a real event in November 1941, where a Russian infantry company, reduced to only 28 men, is tasked with stopping a German Panzer unit, equipped with 54 tanks, from breaking though to the outskirts of Moscow.
Of particular interest to tank enthusiasts (or perhaps ought to be.. :think: ) is the discussion of tactics for defeating tanks; including weaponry (molotovs, anti-tank rifles, etc..) armour thickness, tank vulnerabilities, tank types (Pz 2s, 3s and 4s). Later, we get to witness these tactics being put into action in pretty well directed, and edge-of-seat action sequences. The detailing of the early Panzer 111s and IVs should keep the rivet counters busy. ;). Overall, the movie comes across as credible and well produced. Such is the authentic feel of the battle scenes, in fact, that I'm glad I never had to find myself in a wintry foxhole, or shallow trench, being assaulted by a Panzer IV, intent on grinding me into pate.
I bought the flick from Amazon, where it can be had, used, for only around £6. I'd say it's a bargain. New, it's almost £15. As a footnote, the IMDB movie site gives the film a rating of 7/10, which is fairly high for any movie, let alone a WW2
shoot-fest. :thumbup:
Panfilov's 28 aka Battle for Moscow
Panfilov's 28 aka Battle for Moscow
phpBB [video]
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: 'Battle for Moscow' aka 'Panfilov's 28'...

Post by Estnische »

Ah yiz, Glorious Comrades of d'Soviet Union, merely 28 of dem, vis bare fingerrnails, defeat 54 German stihl beasts...
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Estnische wrote:Ah yiz, Glorious Comrades of d'Soviet Union, merely 28 of dem, vis bare fingerrnails, defeat 54 German stihl beasts...
:lolno:

Hmm..well, the girding of the comrades' loins, by the political commissars, might seem a tad OTT to modern ears; but if you watch documentaries from that period, slushy Patriotism in overdrive was the norm- even here in 'stiff upper lip' Britain... :D
Try as I might, I couldn't find any oblique references to a future Putin here, nor any characters riding horses bare-chested :haha:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Estnische

Post by Estnische »

I know its not the font of all truth but check the Wiki entries for the movie and the actual events. The real thing was found by the Soviet govt to be greatly exaggerated, but was a handy story when there was not much that was positive. Also the movie started with crowd funding, which was enthusiastically supported by the Russian govt - (cue bared-chested rider...)
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Estnische wrote:I know its not the font of all truth but check the Wiki entries for the movie and the actual events. The real thing was found by the Soviet govt to be greatly exaggerated, but was a handy story when there was not much that was positive. Also the movie started with crowd funding, which was enthusiastically supported by the Russian govt - (cue bared-chested rider...)
As the old saying goes: The first casualty of War is truth, (although the same might be said when substituting 'Vodka' for 'War' :lolno: ). Yes, I noticed the funding sources, and the inevitable Govt/Autocratic link. Nonetheless, no matter the exaggeration at that time (think also: Battle of Britain claims rate- RAF vs Luftwaffe, and vice versa, or USA winning war on its own.. :/ etc.... )...the Germans were stopped, and didn't reach Moscow. Whilst we live in an age where history is being shamelessly re-written, under the bizarre Big Brother auspices of Political Correctness (for the sake of 'inclusivity' etc., blah, blah), and East/West propaganda(- or is it 'Fake news'-) still persists, there can be no doubt that millions died on the Eastern front for a fatuous cause: crazed Dictator vs crazed Dictator. Thankfully, there are no instances of this in the modern world... ;) . Hmmm...there isn't an emoticon for tongue-in-cheek... :D
Perhaps the Finns and Balts exaggerated their own heroics in the worthy, and very watchable, films they have put out of late. They, like the Russians though, still maintain a not-so-hidden agenda. That would be survival, of course,in the case of the riven Baltic states. By their own account, they certainly gave the Soviet era forces a really bad time in WW2... 8O
Taking all of this into account, along with a massive inch of salt for the 'truths' of the 21st Century world, this film is still entertaining in my humble opinion. My definition being, if the film holds my attention, and suppresses the urge to laugh in derision, or to make the disc into a coaster, then it was worthwhile buying....just about. Just that.
Estnische

Post by Estnische »

Roy, I will forgive you your slight against Finns and Estonians. You must understand they are a very understated people, not prone to exaggeration. If you have ever seen Kimi R?ikkonen or Mika H?kkinen interviewed in F1, you may begin to grasp it.

In the case of the Finns and their efforts, you need to consider the big picture. Any individual descriptions of Finnish heroics match the outcome that despite being greatly out-numbered and out-gunned,they fought the bear to a standstill not once, but twice.

As for the Estonians, it must be realised that the Germans had a mistrust of all occupied nations. While none of those nations were gung-ho to join the Axis powers, they were keen to fight Bolshevism. Generally foreign units raised to fight on the Eastern Front were not allowed to be general army units, but were placed under Himmler where they could be strictly monitored, hence they had the unfortunate label of being SS units. I say unfortunate, as most English speaking people automatically associate that with being frothing Nazis.

Against this background, foreign unit reports were highly scrutinised and cross-checked by German commanders. Medals were rarely awarded. If you have time you should read the reports for the Knight's Crosses for Alfons Rebane, Paul Maitla, Harald Nugiseks and Harald Riipalu.

I think they are a stark contrast to an account where even the Soviets found a reporter's story to be embellished.
Captain Hilts
Lance Corporal

Post by Captain Hilts »

It is a gripping movie. Fighting to the last bullets in that machine gun,there was only 2 left before them pesky germans retreated.I was sweating. Its only 5 pound in HMV new. :shifty:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Couldn't resist a little Baltic tease, Estniche :D . Don't forget that I've bought all the recent commercially available and very immersive movies giving the Estonian, Latvian and Finnish perspective on the War. I've also recommended a brace of them here, in the spirit of generosity and impartiality. :lolno: ..and, of course, to highlight WW2 Theatres of conflict often overlooked by Hollywood and Pinewood....
Estnische

Post by Estnische »

:thumbup:
brizo58

Post by brizo58 »

Hi All,
Just watched the movie :thumbup: absolutely brilliant. Brian...

Return to “Movies”