"April 9th"...Danish war movie

Do you know of any good tank related movies or simple decent war movies? Post them here for all of us to enjoy!
43rdRecceReg
Major

"April 9th"...Danish war movie

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

On the 9th April, The Germans invaded Denmark. Little, if anything, has ever said about the fighting that took place. That's probably because, after only 6 hours of an unequal struggle, the Danish government capitulated. :( . However, this interesting and (in my humble estimation) well made little movie creates the atmosphere of fear and bewilderment felt by the Bicycle Infantry Company, and it's small motorcycle recce unit, whose task it was to take on the German military colossus.. should their land-grabbing Teutonic neighbours decide on a lazy afternoon's incursion and Blutfest, with an armoured division or so. :O The tension builds nicely, and I was pleasantly surprised to find myself on the 'edge of my seat' (well, sofa) by the time the first round was fired. Just as well, as the movie was a tenner from Amazon; but worth it. :thumbup:
Although, in reality, the conflict on the Danish border was a sort of 'blink or you'll miss it' event; the story told here is fascinating. Pilou Asbaek, and Lars Mikkelson (both internationally highly regarded actors), head the impressive cast, and though it's a made-on-a-shoestring movie the replica (?) Twin MG 34 Panzer 1, the armoured cars, uniforms, rifles and modest Danish hardware all look convincing, and help carry the narrative along.
Lately, I've seen some great low budget independent WW2 films from Estonia, Poland, and Russia, and this little gem from Denmark is a worthy addition to my collection. Check it out.. :wave:
phpBB [video]
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
c.rainford73
Major

Re: "April 9th"...Danish war movie

Post by c.rainford73 »

Looks like a really good movie. I will check it out. Thanks for sharing
Tanks alot.... :wave:
maxmekker
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by maxmekker »

Thanks for the heads up. Looks like something I need to have a look at

Last year we had 'Norways' take on the invation

phpBB [video]
Drammen Rock City
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

maxmekker wrote:Thanks for the heads up. Looks like something I need to have a look at

Last year we had 'Norways' take on the invation

phpBB [video]
Thanks, for that, Max :thumbup: Yes, the Germans were on their way to you when they decided that going through Denmark would be the shortest, and easiest, route. Of course, there was a fair bit of British involvement in the Norway campaign, especially around Narvik. In fact, there are several classic old black and white movies movies ( e.g. "Commandos strike at Dawn", 1942) about British involvement in Norway, and the fight put up by Norwegian resistance groups.
I'll certainly keep my peepers open for this one. I have a large, and expanding collection of 'foreign' films..ranging from korean through to Inuit! :) ..many with a war theme in the background.
Here in Highland Scotland, we have strong genetic and cultural links with Norway. In fact, the name of my village is from Norse, not Gaelic. It's estimated that a third of the males living in Orkney and Shetland have
direct Norwegian ancestry. ;)
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

What? Only one Norwegian made it to the Orkneys?
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Estnische wrote:What? Only one Norwegian made it to the Orkneys?
Yep..that was either Nogbad the Bad, Ivar the Boneless or Erik the Thick :haha: But then his extended family soon followed....
Incidentally, nearly all the women in that most 'nordic' of places, Iceland, trace their ancestry back to ...well...Ireland, of all places. Apparently, that's because the Vikings raided without their womenfolk, and picked up their ersatz
'horizontal entertainment' (as slaves) in the lands they raided (west of Ireland in this instance), and then transported them to their frozen love nests in Iceland :O
Dublin was actually founded as a township by the Vikings, and not by the native Irish...incidentally. :eh:

Return to “Movies”