'War Machine'

Do you know of any good tank related movies or simple decent war movies? Post them here for all of us to enjoy!
Dr Phibes
Corporal

'War Machine'

Post by Dr Phibes »

I have just viewed this on BBC iPlayer (catch up TV).
This incredible portrait of what it was really like to be part of a World War 1 tank crew first went out in 2014 I believe as the third part of a BBC Three mini series called 'Our World War' (so it may have been mentioned here before).
To be honest I came across this simply as part of my broader interest in my own WW1 family history. Regardless, though not quite a movie (around an hour long) this is an absolutely riveting account of one of the few tanks and tank crews to have survived the big offensive to break through German lines at Mons. Based on actual accounts and records of the crew provided by family and historians, the trials, endurance, and sheer guts of the crew is just breathtaking.
In consultation with Bovington Tank Museum they recreate with amazing realism the absolute horror of this war as well as the nightmare of being 'canned' in the smoke-filled barbeque that was a WW1 tank (I'm pretty sure the tank used is one I sat in for a lecture at Bovington, or one very like it).
Set to modern music I thought at first, 'this won't work' but on the contrary, it has the effect of bringing the reality of that war, and the experiences of the crew, right up to date - more relevant I thought than ever before and truly a condemnation not only of that bloody affair but warfare in general (watch out, if you haven't seen it, for the harrowing scene toward the end with the German boy soldier trying to surrender - not for the faint hearted).

Essential viewing as they say, as is the first part of the mini series (I have yet to watch part 2 'Pals' but will do so shortly - these parts are not about tanks though).
ONeal
Private

Re: 'War Machine'

Post by ONeal »

Watched it a couple of weeks ago. Enjoyed the history lesson!!

Return to “Movies”