tank movies and movies with tanks in them

Do you know of any good tank related movies or simple decent war movies? Post them here for all of us to enjoy!
greengiant
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

tank movies and movies with tanks in them

Post by greengiant »

I'm in the US and one of the local tv channels has run 2 movies which might be of interest. For modern tanks there is a movie that features a Russian t62 In Afghanistan during Russia's time fighting there I believe it was simply titled The Terrible. It is about a cruel Russian tank commander. It does have a lot of footage of the tank driving around and is in English and has some American actors. The other is, Is Paris Burning. This one is a has a lot of historical film footage in it but also has a lot of newly made scenes of French Shermans making the run to Paris. Not sure when either film was originally released but I'd guess quite a while ago. I think both films are in color with the Paris one having the historical footage colorized but I really don't recall that for sure.
Last edited by greengiant on Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jarndice
Colonel

Re: tank movies and movies with tanks in them

Post by jarndice »

Hi, One of the local British channels has been showing "The Battle of the Bulge" and for anyone with an interest in WW2 armour it is about the most frustrating film you will ever watch, The German armour is American and the American armour is either wrongly described or wrong in time, and for someone familier with the Ardenne/Eifel region where this battle occurred the settings were wildly inaccurate. The only saving grace of the whole fiasco is that it has driven me to drink! :thumbup: shaun
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Afternoon,
*clinks glasses with Jarndice* ;o)
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Why wonder Why is what I say..... Personally I liked old war movies...Battle of the Bulge one of my faves....even now when I watch it...I still like it... sure the tanks aren't what they are supposed to be... knew that the first time I saw it in the theater.... it's an epic movie...with artistic license ...you have to remember just how much armor was in that flick... Even though it was way back when there may have been more WWII tanks laying around...to gather them up would have put a studio way over budget
I just appreciate that what was shown is consistent ...movies that have Historical footage is less palatable to me...as there is more inconsistency ...especially with naval battles ..where the aircraft aren't even the ones being used :thumbdown:

It's all in the eye of the beholder ...Now with that said...ever wonder why there are more "battle" movies based on a Sci Fi format than that that history might provide...it's because of something wonderful called CG graphics...now they don't need anything tangible except for a diagram...and perhaps a model to scan

Which could conclude with.... one of the best movies to incorporate WWII armor ...with modern CG graphics ...that movie series would be

Thank you very Much :haha: :haha: :haha:

ALPHA
spongehoobtank82
Sergeant

Post by spongehoobtank82 »

greengiant wrote:I'm in the US and one of the local tv channels has run 2 movies which might be of interest. For modern tanks there is a movie that features a Russian t62 In Afghanistan during Russia's time fighting there I believe it was simply titled The Terrible. It is about a cruel Russian tank commander. It does have a lot of footage of the tank driving around and is in English and has some American actors. The other is, Is Paris Burning. This one is a has a lot of historical film footage in it but also has a lot of newly made scenes of French Shermans making the run to Paris. Not sure when either film was originally released but I'd guess quite a while ago. Both films are in color with the Paris one having the historical footage colorized.

Hey green giant that t62 film is called ' the beast' it's really good!
Sponghoobtank82-panzerIII, panther V, tiger VI early and late and another early tiger,leopard 2a6, panzer IV F2,challenger 2
greengiant
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by greengiant »

Your right on the title. And I to thought it was well done ( although the 50 cal looks nothing like the real Russian tank mounted gun ). I watched the credits to try to figure out were they filmed it and where they got the tank but didn't notice any credit given to anyone's armed forces, or countries national park system.
It sure seems like a lot of bulldogs where available for tv shows and films made in the US. They are showing The MURPHY film quit a bit this month with as many as 8 of them in German markings in one scene and only two real Sherman's to represent any scene with US tanks.
We also get the Combat tv series reruns in which they seem to have 2 bulldogs that serve as both German or American tanks depending on their markings and whether the muzzle brake is on. If its supposed to be German , no muzzle brake.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Anyone remember any movies based in Vietnam that had tanks in it 8O
wonder why ... cause I don't remember any...where they that ineffective :think:

ALPHA
Dietrich
Staff Sergeant

Post by Dietrich »

Could the film that you call 'The Beast'..actually be called 'The Beast of War'..??..its the closest that I could find on YouTube.. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG_W8cufV3U
Never Forget......
   The Propaganda of the Victors....... becomes the History of the Vanquished
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Dietrich,
The movie is named 'The Beast' I thought the tank was a T-55 but looking at my copy, it is a T-62. Columbia pictures with Jason Patric, done in 1988. Really well done. The Commander's descent into madness while retaining control of his tank is fascinating to watch.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

OK........... But why no tank movies based in Vietnam... is it because it was such an embarrassment 8O
The first example of how technology did not beat out low tech techniques and strategies :think:

ALPHA

Return to “Movies”