White Tiger

Do you know of any good tank related movies or simple decent war movies? Post them here for all of us to enjoy!
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: White Tiger

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Kaczor wrote:This time is on official Mosfilm channel. Some great Soviet movies they have there like 5 part epic "Liberation" with fantastic battle scenes.
Thanks for that extra info, much appreciated :thumbup:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Hi, 43rd. Rec. You wrote that you have "found that the Finns have created some of the best WW2 flicks." What are some examples? I can live with English or German subtitles or even a taste of the film even if I cannot understand a word. ;)
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:Hi, 43rd. Rec. You wrote that you have "found that the Finns have created some of the best WW2 flicks." What are some examples? I can live with English or German subtitles or even a taste of the film even if I cannot understand a word. ;)
This would be one, Prof:
phpBB [video]

Then there's the award-winning Latvian film: 'The Rifleman'( A Baltic 'feel' like Finnish films, and a connected culture...)
viewtopic.php?f=88&t=32222&p=317610&hil ... sh#p317610
phpBB [video]

I've bought these on DVD along with many others. Estniche is also a fan (and he has a Baltic family background'). These should get you started, though. I've actually posted reviews of other Finnish films here, but it's easy enough to find them on Amazon and elsewhere. Finnish (like its relative, Hungarian) is not actually an indo-European language, even though the Balts are ethnic Europeans. English and its related tongue, German, share 3-4 grammatical cases (Nominative, Accusative etc...) but Finno-Ugric speakers have 14 to deal with !! :crazy: This explains why no one outside of Finland, or Hungary, ever learns Finnish or Hungarian and why they tend to learn English in school :haha: https://jkorpela.fi/finnish-cases.html
Luckily, the subtitles of these films ARE in English. ;)
Whilst on the topic of language roots, Mr Langfocus here has a fascinating website bubbling over with immersive linguistic stuff. Here, he points out that Friesisch is the closest relative to English in Europe.
I think you'll like his presentations.
phpBB [video]
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Thank you! I have limited access to online goodies: no cable, a house on a hillside buried right among tall trees, not so local cellular towers. However, I found out that typically, a movie uses 2 gigs of download. At nominal cost, I just increased my monthly cellular connection allotment from 15 to 50 gigs. It's not good enough for voice phone, but YouTube often works. Yippee! I will start with the linguistic video (my Piledhigh&Deep is in Rhetoric and Linguistics). Now I have "White Tiger" and "1944 The Final Defence" to check out, even if there are pauses for the download to catch up.

As to grammatical cases, I thought Latin was bad. :lolno: Klingon, by the way, has a great one, marking the degree of a speaker's certainty about what he is saying; in effect, the case marks "Don't actually believe what I am saying; I'm just reporting" vs. "I stake my life on it because in this Klingon culture if I am wrong you would kill me."
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:Thank you! I have limited access to online goodies: no cable, a house on a hillside buried right among tall trees, not so local cellular towers. However, I found out that typically, a movie uses 2 gigs of download. At nominal cost, I just increased my monthly cellular connection allotment from 15 to 50 gigs. It's not good enough for voice phone, but YouTube often works. Yippee! I will start with the linguistic video (my Piledhigh&Deep is in Rhetoric and Linguistics). Now I have "White Tiger" and "1944 The Final Defence" to check out, even if there are pauses for the download to catch up.

As to grammatical cases, I thought Latin was bad. :lolno: Klingon, by the way, has a great one, marking the degree of a speaker's certainty about what he is saying; in effect, the case marks "Don't actually believe what I am saying; I'm just reporting" vs. "I stake my life on it because in this Klingon culture if I am wrong you would kill me."
Ah yes, Ed, I recall those days of digital poverty. Here, in the Highlands, I'm right at the extreme end of the Telephone network. When broadband was based on copper 'landline' connections, I suffered badly from 'buffering' (no, not a medical condition), and spinning beach balls. However, I think the infrastructure in Britain is far more up-to-date than that found in the US (well, according to my brother, who lives on Cape Cod).
I got together with some neighbours in the village, and petitioned for 'superfast fibre'- and we got it. :thumbup:
Thus, I've gone from an ends-of-the-Earth digital peasant, to a full-fibre (to the premises) aristocrat. (150 Gbit- but could be more, if I bled more cash).
Still, '...a house on hillside buried right among tall trees'..has to be the ultimate compensation. :) All you need, now, is a large Atlantic-fed loch nearby (as I have- lucky me) to complete the idyll. :D
Here's another Finnish film I bought on DVD (4 hr 30 min miniseries in 5 episodes): 'Tuntematon Sotilas'. or the Unknown Soldier, by Aku Louhimies.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4065552/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Tanke. Jo binne gelok om te wenjen tichtby in loch. And it is Freezian here in Wisconsin today. :haha:
Lenny Warren
Private

Post by Lenny Warren »

I'd forgotten about White Tiger, thanks for the reminder, downloaded it ahemm.. and will watch tonight. :)
MikeHamilton
Lance Corporal

Post by MikeHamilton »

Watched it this afternoon on YouTube.
Quite a good film. Loads of action and a quirky twist at the end.
The replica Tiger was in pretty short order as others have said, but hey ho, it’s only a film
Good examples of weathering to be seen if you need inspiration.
‘Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes’ - Oscar Wilde

Return to “Movies”