1936 leFH 18 10.5cm Towed Artillery

Any other static RC models that don't fit into the above category go here!

Postby PainlessWolf » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:33 am

Gary!
I'm a Geologist by training. I can certainly dig it. ;o) Trora, thank you for the look in. This kit came from Sassgrunt. A refugee from his vast collection. ;o) It was destined to be a display piece for my tank village. Now, it can be towed into place.
regards,
Painless
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby sassgrunt » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:17 am

For info, I found it on eBay several years ago. I was actually searching for the Pak 40 by the same company but could only find this one. Bought it as an if-needed build, but never found the need, (and, judging by the injuries it is causing Painless, I'm glad I never did)!

sassgrunt
Sergeant

Postby HERMAN BIX » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:30 am

PainlessWolf wrote:Gary!
I'm a Geologist by training. I can certainly dig it. ;o) Trora, thank you for the look in. This kit came from Sassgrunt. A refugee from his vast collection. ;o) It was destined to be a display piece for my tank village. Now, it can be towed into place.
regards,
Painless

AAAahhhhhhhh!!..............an oilfield "rock-knocker"
Could be worse..............a "mud doctor" 8O

Great job on what seems to be a pest of a kit to get right ;)
HERMAN BIX
Major

Postby PainlessWolf » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:18 am

Good evening, Gents!
Everything that came before was as nothing to the work required to assembled the basic gun and cradle. Everything hollow and that required a tight fit for the gun to sit straight on the recoil rails and to elevate for that matter was a solid block of resin. I'm going to need some new blades for the Tamiya saw. The rails were crooked but some hot water straightened them out. Once the resin blocks were removed from the rails tho, the rails broke at a couple of thin spots in the center. Some brass stiffener cut out and glued into place took care of that repair. :o) Normally, I would drill and pin but the rails really were too thin for even that. In the end, I got everything cobbled together for Step 9. Just a few more (hopefully ) simpler steps to go and I can primer. Sass, you have always challenged me to be a better modeler. Keep it up, My Friend. ;o) Pics: ( Click to Enlarge )
regards,
Painless

P.S. Herman! I got into Geology for the Paleontology aspect of it. Finally got my certificate a few years ago and am an 'Amateur' Vertebrae Paleontologist. Whoot!
Attachments
Step 9 looked deceptively simple....jpg
Step 9 looked deceptively simple....jpg
Such was not the case....jpg
Such was not the case....jpg
Basic gun mounted.  Another step to follow.jpg
Basic gun mounted. Another step to follow.jpg
Is intricate.....jpg
Is intricate.....jpg
Ready for the next Step....jpg
Ready for the next Step....jpg
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby PershingLover » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:25 pm

So you're a chiropractor, but for skeletons Painless?

Looks good!
PershingLover
Lance Corporal

Postby PainlessWolf » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:42 pm

Good morning, Pershing Lover!
Thanks for looking in. I'm ready to finish this one up and get out the primer. ;o)
regards,
Painless

PS: A Dinosaur Chiropractor, I like that. ;o)
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby jarndice » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:25 pm

I read your comment and laughed out loud, She who must be obeyed asked what I was laughing at. When I told her she said "Arn't all you old codgers on that Forum Dinosaurs"? :'(
jarndice
Major

Postby PershingLover » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:07 pm

That's great!
PershingLover
Lance Corporal

Postby PainlessWolf » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:58 pm

Good afternoon, Gentlemen,
We must all be 'Artful' Codgers since our Better Halves keep providing us with the (oftentimes expensive) Objects of our Hobby. ;o)
regards,
Painless
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby HERMAN BIX » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:08 am

As an amateur Paleontologist, this story might get you.
I was transiting through Roy Rodgers Airport in Oklahoma some years back, there was the usual delay at the screening booths.
I had several hydraulic control valves in my bag, which created some consternation as I tried to get through.
As I was delayed, another fuss began at the screening station next to me.
The traveler at its centre was very vocal and animated, informing loudly that he had an object of historic importance that needed to be handled with utmost care.
I was next to the guy, and a heavy wooden box when it was opened.
This joker had been 'rock-knocking' in(im not sure but I will say Montana) some place, and unearthed what he declared was a fosilised baby Veloci-raptor emerging out of an egg........................
I saw this thing & it looked to me like it was a prop out of Aliens, and the guy was by then hysterical, and begging the crowd & officials to give the object space & for God sake not to damage it, as he was going to the Smithsonian to hand it over.
It gets funnier.............one of the young security guys then announces to (we will call her Joan) one of his security colleagues after this thing was identified by its panicked owner " you would have been around when these things were running wild eh Joan" .............and she went right off the old bird :{ ............
Now if this object was indeed what he said it was, & I have no reason nor qualification to dispute it, then I was truly in the presence of a marvel of the prehistoric world.
All because this guy was a rock-knocker ;)
HERMAN BIX
Major

Postby PainlessWolf » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:48 pm

Good Morning, Herman!
That's a funny and also amazing story! I just did a quick check for provenance for any fossils like that and the closest thing I find is from China some 25 years ago. Roy Rodgers airport? You guys were lucky to get out alive ( or with your skin ) ;o)
regards,
Painless
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby PershingLover » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:22 pm

Crazy story Herman!

I have an idea for a diorama, based on what this thread has become. Make a tank or something, rust it all up, then bury it like a fossil!

Will you try it Painless?
PershingLover
Lance Corporal

Postby PainlessWolf » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:49 pm

Good Morning,
Pershing Lover. Already been done: https://www.npr.org/templates/story/sto ... d=88616249
regards,
Painless
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby PainlessWolf » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:44 am

Tonight saw the basic kit completed. I made the push to finish the last four steps, 10 - 13. Now I can detail and add a working tow mount to the field piece then primer\paint. ;o) A Show-Off thread will be on the way soon along with a video of the gun under tow. Pics: ( Click to Enlarge )
Attachments
A hood emblem I made up from a Tamiya belt buckle.jpg
A hood emblem I made up from a Tamiya belt buckle.jpg
Step 10 was not as bad as 9 was.jpg
Step 10 was not as bad as 9 was.jpg
Pre Gun Shield.jpg
Pre Gun Shield.jpg
The rest of the steps were completed quickly as far as parts prep went.  The gun shield cleanup and mounting took the most time tonight....jpg
The rest of the steps were completed quickly as far as parts prep went. The gun shield cleanup and mounting took the most time tonight....jpg
Time for cleanup and a new tow hook setup now..jpg
Time for cleanup and a new tow hook setup now..jpg
Gun Shield rear.jpg
Gun Shield rear.jpg
Tow Profile.jpg
Tow Profile.jpg
Field Artillery.jpg
Field Artillery.jpg
Poseable and Towable results.jpg
Poseable and Towable results.jpg
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby HERMAN BIX » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:10 am

Would I be right in saying that these are the type of weapons that Easy Company destroyed on D-day ?
HERMAN BIX
Major

Postby silversurfer1947 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:15 am

Lovely work. :clap: :thumbup:
silversurfer1947
2nd Lieutenant

Postby PershingLover » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:53 am

HERMAN BIX wrote:Would I be right in saying that these are the type of weapons that Easy Company destroyed on D-day ?

Unfortunately Herman, it is not. The guns used at Brecourt Manor were 105mm howitzers.
PershingLover
Lance Corporal

Postby PainlessWolf » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:11 pm

Good Morning!
Thanks for looking in, Gentlemen. More fun to follow!
regards,
Painless
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby PainlessWolf » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:48 am

Good evening all!
My hands were ready for business again so I undertook some detailing on the gun tonight. I had pored over online pics of the early versions of the field piece and used a few of the ideas that I found. After this, I only have the metal tow point to install. After that, it's Paint Time! Pics: ( Click to Enlarge )
Attachments
A good view of the lanyard and the boxed shells.jpg
A good view of the lanyard and the boxed shells.jpg
The shovel mount.jpg
The shovel mount.jpg
Armor Skirt catch and a hole drilled through upper plate ....I do not know why but it was there in the early versions.jpg
Armor Skirt catch and a hole drilled through upper plate ....I do not know why but it was there in the early versions.jpg
Mounts for something that was never there in the pics so I left them empty and the armored cover for the sight.jpg
Mounts for something that was never there in the pics so I left them empty and the armored cover for the sight.jpg
Armored Sight Cover closed.jpg
Armored Sight Cover closed.jpg
Getting very close to primer and paint.jpg
Getting very close to primer and paint.jpg
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Will01Capri » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:10 pm

Very nice indeed. I like that alot, i wonder if there are any more kits out there?
Will01Capri
Warrant Officer 1st Class

PreviousNext

Return to Other Military Non-RC Models