Morris C8 Quad Scratchbuild 1/10 scale

Any other static RC models that don't fit into the above category go here!
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: Morris C8 Quad Scratchbuild 1/10 scale

Post by HERMAN BIX »

43rdRecceReg wrote:I don't think even Barnes Wallace could have improvised as much as you have to get this project going, Alwyn. :clap: The styling oozes nostalgia.. and radiator grill brings to mind those old names 'Foden' (F1), 'Scammel', Bedford etc..an images of vehicles with starting handles dangling out to the front bumper. If you didn't have a background in engineering I'd be rather surprised..but whatever it is, you've certainly mastered lateral thinking :clap: Great pics too..
TS3 Commer, Leyland Super Mastiff, Seddon, Atkinson...................ohhh the oil leaks & no brakes !!

(still reckon you should do a hot-rod Mr Turner) !!
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Made some progress but it doesn't look like much! I needed headlights and after scratching around in my scrapbox and finding nothing I had a light-bulb moment and remembered I had lots of lego and Technics bits, and there were the necessary parts for the build!
and the end result, a bit of heavy duty foil in the back as reflectors and some clear styrene on the front and she's right!
Did a trial fit to see if all the electronics etc would fit back in the chassis but no go so they will have to ride in the boot.
I'll just have to make a boot lid with magnets for closure.
The floor is in most of the cab and it's looking better but I can't do much more without the mudguards so that's the next job, just need a couple of empty coke cans for the aluminium. :thumbup: :wave: Alwyn
Last edited by AlwynTurner on Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

And now to the wheel arches/mudflaps. My method of doing mudflaps is best described as the 'tight Yorkshireman' method. I use an empty beverage can - beer or cola is what I use but first you have to empty the coke can (I prefer brandy and coke myself!). Then using dremmell and scissors cut the aluminium to the correct size/shape. I then take some copper wire salvaged from someone's skip, hammer it flat, and bend to the correct shape. Note you cannot bend to shape after supergluing the wire to the aluminium as the bond immediately breaks. Then being careful NOT to superglue the work to your fingers or the workbench glue the wire to the aluminium.
First prepare the wheelarch.

Then prepare the materials to size
Glue aluminium to bent copper wire
Here is the fabricated mudflap
Offered up for fit
The alternative method using brass strip and bar also works but costs money and takes longer. All materials used in this method with the exception of the superglue are free and recycling is good!.
Well another 3 mudflaps to go. :thumbup: :wave: :wave: Alwyn
Last edited by AlwynTurner on Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

That's the mudguards done! Looking much more like a truck now instead of a hotrod (sorry Herman).

Now for the exterior. :thumbup: :wave: Alwyn
Last edited by AlwynTurner on Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ecam
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Ecam »

Looking great! Love the use of "free" materials. :clap:
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hi Paul, yes I put it in the wrong section, the plan is to make a 1/10 limber and gun for this one as well. The scale was dictated by the Tamiya chassis I managed to get cheap, although I must admit that it was only when I'd built the body that I realised how big the final result would be! :{ Anyway it seems to be turning out better than my expectation even but still lots of tidying up and finishing off to do plus the rest of the rig to build. :thumbup: :wave: Alwyn

AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Some progress on the detailing, got the cab windows done ready for glazing (but only after painting). Got the first door cut and fitted, made the hinges, and they seem to work ok.

Fitted out the engine cover and wheel arches and worked out where the dashboard, steering wheel, and seats go.
Moving along well and enjoying the build.
:thumbup: :wave: Alwyn
Last edited by AlwynTurner on Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Progress is slow but coming along. Only one half of the body done so lots to do.
The magnets for the doors and boot panel work a treat - thanks Pete!
Last edited by AlwynTurner on Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Quick photos to demonstrate the scale/size of the quad

Gives some idea of why I used so much styrene! :thumbup: :wave: Alwyn
Last edited by AlwynTurner on Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

With the gun and limber added, it's going to be enormous :) It will look absolutely fabulous.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D

Return to “Other Military Non-RC Models”