My latest panzer crew member

Any other static RC models that don't fit into the above category go here!
scalawag

My latest panzer crew member

Post by scalawag »

A few pics of the latest tank crew figure I have built. The kit arrived in the post yesterday morning.

This one is a Kirin resin kit of a loader for my Tiger Is. I decided to try the Italian Pattern camo for a bit of a change this time.

Comments as always very welcome.
doc larsson
Staff Sergeant

Re: My latest panzer crew member

Post by doc larsson »

very nice ! where are the collar flashes from ? like the camo pattern need to try that. love the gurt sack too !

cheers
tiger tiger
Sergeant

Post by tiger tiger »

Hi scalawag, great figures liking the cammo and the fine casting detail on the figures, superb crew all in all.

regards
stuart
Grantham Light Armoured Division RCTC
scalawag

Post by scalawag »

doc larsson wrote:very nice ! where are the collar flashes from ? like the camo pattern need to try that. love the gurt sack too !

cheers
Hi Doc, I thought this camo pattern (M1929 telo mimetic) would make a change from the usual pea or splinter patterns and what not. I was interested to read that the Italians introduced it in 1929, and it was in regular use up until the 1990's. When Italy capitulated the Germans shifted production of this pattern to Czechoslovakia. It gave rise to some more modern Camo patterns too, most notably the old US woodland pattern. Interesting stuff. 8)

The collar flashes on this one are from the Peddinghaus Wehrmacht insignia waterslide decal sheet, which I buy direct from Peddinghaus on eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-16-Decals-D ... delle_Baus

I also use the Tamiya Wehrmacht decals.

The tamiya ones are superior in my opinion, but limited by only having one set of each insignia per sheet in 1/16, so,when you build a new figure you often have another decal sheet to buy. They also have a lot of 1/35 decals on the same sheet which I never use.

As you can see the Peddinghause ones are very passable though.

The gurtsacks are great items that tanks for the memory tipped me off to. Got them from here:

http://shop.afvmodeller.com/customer/home.php?cat=387

Best I have seen to date for detail.
Last edited by scalawag on Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:51 am, edited 7 times in total.
scalawag

Post by scalawag »

Thanks Stuart,

I really enjoy building figures when I am in the right mood. Nice to have them appreciated.

I don't know if Kirin are still in business, but they used to make great figures with very crisp cast details, and very little in the way of cleaning up parts.

I bought this one from this chap on eBay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/hongkong2047/ ... 7675.l2562

He seems to be getting recasts of a number of out of production kits from somewhere, but as you can see the quality on this one is great.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

I think the hardest thing to paint on this kind of figure is the hair

nice job Scalawag :thumbup:

ALPHA
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Paul,
Beautifully done as usual. I truly envy your skill with a brush. ;o)
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
scalawag

Post by scalawag »

Thanks chaps,

I know what you mean with the hair Alpha, I start off with a slightly darker colour than what I want to finish with as the base and then dry brush on progressively lighter colours. I think this one had around 4 lighter shades added, the good crisp casting helps too. The mistakes I see most often is people using just one flat shade for the hair, and eyebrows that are either not there at all or too thick or don't match the hair colours.

I have gotten into my own habits for painting figures over the years Painless, and it truly is one of my favourite bits of the hobby (who am I kidding I love all of it :D ).
Reasonable quality fine tipped brushes help, I have a pot full of different ones now.
I will try one day to document the building and painting of one of my figures, the trouble is I get so into it at the time that I forget to take photos :/ when I next do one in a day like I did with this one I must take a camera into my modelling room with me. As you know I am always happy to help anyone out, they only have to ask. :thumb up:
Sorry to read that you have been under the weather again, hope you are feeling better now.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning,
I am feeling much better today ( of course since it is a Monday and I am back at work ) ;o) Thank you for the well wishes, my Friend.
Warm regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

scalawag wrote:
I know what you mean with the hair Alpha, I start off with a slightly darker colour than what I want to finish with as the base and then dry brush on progressively lighter colours. I think this one had around 4 lighter shades added, the good crisp casting helps too. The mistakes I see most often is people using just one flat shade for the hair, and eyebrows that are either not there at all or too thick or don't match the hair colours.
YUP .... Gradients ... you have to do them lol.... ;)

ALPHA

Return to “Other Military Non-RC Models”