WW1 HMS Invincible 1/600

If you have any non-RC warships that you would like to show, post them here!
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

WW1 HMS Invincible 1/600

Post by dylan9391 »

Early photo of the waterline hull for HMS Invicible one of three ships of the class. The hull is made out of plasticard and the next stage is to start work on the upper works, before returning to the armour belt, deck fittings etc. I am tempted to make a cast of the parts in resin just in-case anybody fancies making one of these early Royal Navy ships. Do you think there would be any interest anybody? Easier to do it now before it's mounted on a sea scape.
Saxondog
Captain

Re: WW1 HMS Invincible 1/600

Post by Saxondog »

I'm not sure about the scale? But I would be interested in the ship and that class. The first generation ships were clean looking to me. A as we know built with to much bravado and to little common sense. Sadly these ships cost over 3000 lives at Jutland, which should have been prevented. But I would very much like to built the first generation US SHIPS and your technique would help me to build these ships.

As far as resin goes 1/350 scale would be more common and allow for so many more ships, you know it's funny about the kits.Every Japanese ship in their entire naval history can be found in a kit,yet the early ships of Britain and America are no where to be found? Same with the tanks,AXIS mainly allied very few. Sadly Invincible meet her end at Jutland, their is a famous picture of the destroyer Badger looking for survivors with the two half's of the ship still visible. Just Tragic. QUEEN MARY, INDEFATIGABLE as well.

But even this situation did not stop the Hood from being built with the same lack of armour over the turret shafts,and as we know to the same result. I will be watching this build with interest Dylan,cheers Blake
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Hey Dylan I forgot to add this, British warships are named for many different things,famous Naval officers,battles, some ship names have been repeated through the decades and in some cases for centuries.

United States battleships after the civil war are named after states,one Southern and one Northern state in two ship classes. But that situation began to change in some classes where their were three ships and the third being named for a western state. Just thought I would share that with you,their are no US Battleships that do not have all centerline main guns. This was tried in pre-dreadnought classes as was the stacked turret,2=12" guns with another turret on top with 8" guns,totally stupid idea. cheers Blake
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

Thanks Blake,

It's something to think about actually as I tend make models in a smaller scale to help me work through and to visualise how the bigger model will end up and if I've understood the plan. Recently I have been using this drawing programme called Rhinocerous 4.0 and this does all this stuff for you (when I get the hang of it). I would consider making limited run waterline models of American WW1 ships as well as the British ones as they are interesting to model and Invincible in 1/350 would be roughly 46cm long, so not too big and being resin it would have a nice weight to it.

It would then be down to cost I guess and if it would be cheap enough to make it marketable. Love to give it a go though.
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

I've done a little bit more on the model and added the armour belt and the lower superstructure. I need to add hatches and other items and then I can think about casting the hull. I've decided to cast it at this stage before adding the portholes as the plastic is thin and it could buckle. Also easier to add plating on the resin model, rather than the plastic.
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

The model with cast parts.

Return to “Warships”