Trumpeter 1/200 Battleship Arizona

If you have any non-RC warships that you would like to show, post them here!
Saxondog
Captain

Re: Trumpeter 1/200 Battleship Arizona

Post by Saxondog »

dylan, I forgot about a book I have that does have all the data of every Dreadnought Built and Commissioned 1918. I have that volume of Jane;s fighting ships. It's a modern copy of the world volume for that year. I have alot of books and had forgotten I had this book. And the complete dreadnought fleet of every nation is listed. Dates,pictures,changes,tonnes,gun calibers and size of bore. Turret elevation data, just about everything concerning the ability of each vessel. Perhaps I could scan the Thunderer section and e-mail it?

cheers Sax
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

A few new pictures, the earlier pics were from the hobby shop. I did not unwrap the hull from th plastic wrap and wire retainers. When I did I found a unique system,the upper hull has 4-tabs that lock it to the bottom hull,and it has a channel along the mating surface that the lower hull meshes into. Perfect water tight seal.
U.S.S.Arizona Phase I 001.JPG
U.S.S.Arizona Phase I 013.JPG
U.S.S.Arizona Phase I 012.JPG
U.S.S.Arizona Phase I 006.JPG
More to follow.
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

Hi,

Happy New Year and yes that sounds good. Janes is always a reliable source for this type of thing. I have not done a lot on my King George although I did do a little bit today on the hull. I've been busy with other work and Christmas break of course. Have you managed to do anything on Arizona? I am not sure if you can send it to the mail site on here, but if not you can always send it to http://www.dwj.modelengineering@gmail.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rogue Sub
Private

Post by Rogue Sub »

Sax you in the Navy?
All I need is a tank that can dive like a sub and shoot torpedoes.
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

No, That is a sad story as I worked very hard for a career in the Navy. Class of 1981,they were re-fitting New Jersey at Long Beach,Ca. I even considered going in and earning my degree while active. But events in life change our plans. My life time interest in Naval History has endured, but life sent me in another career path. I would of retired this year with 30yrs service.
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

I wasn't sure if you'd had a career in the Navy with your extensive knowledge of all things warship. I was reading the other thread on the sale of your Tiger and you have to do these things sometimes. I have got one of these James DiSemone 1/6 Hertzer and trying to do something with that. It's big and very yellow and not that good really. It's wood work today and work continues on my 1/6 Cromwell Tank.
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

Hi Blake just started making HMS Invincible in 1/600 scale. Yes I know it's a bit on the small side, but needed to get an idea of how it all fitted together before committing myself to something bigger. It's a waterline and I plan on casting the main parts in resin. Makes it heavier from a display perspective and also useful if anybody ever fancied buying the parts to make their own. How are you getting on with Arizona?
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Hi Dylan, Well I am still in the planning stage, I have also found another book on the US Dreadnoughts and this one has alot of information and some paint schemes but like the Jane's little is said about Arizona or Pennsylvania. It is the US Battleships in action,squadron/signal publications. I have the other one somewhere on the new Battleships as well.

I am considering finishing the HMS Hood which I stopped work on a year ago,it is complete up to the main deck and a few other details but no guns or superstructure is in place. This is the 1/350 version from Trumpeter,I also have the 1/350 USS Arizona but not really considering building that version. Also on e-bay I made a very low bid on a 1/350 IJN Yamato and got it for 9.99us. It has been started but the thing that I like is it has the same drive as the 1/200 Yamato, A single motor driving a gearbox with 4 output shafts.

As far as the Arizona I will be waiting until the spring as I need to build it outside on my work table, that way I can lay it out and build assemblies in side and assemble the ship outside. I could spend several days on the 5"guns,tripod mast with the large superstructure all these will be built as assemblies then positioned on the hull. It has 1000 pcs and that will take a good amount of time to complete.

The other issue is the drive system,I build to scale and the guy's on RCU and RC GROUPS have changed the drive to a dual prop system that uses a larger prop. I will have to have all four props,with 4 motors, Gruapner speed 400. These are in my tanks and their only 8.00us each.7.2 volts will allow me to use the standard HENG LONG batteries in the Arizona. So every thing is slowly coming together. The main problem will be stuffing boxes and drive shafts. I think it should be like my Bismarck and Tirpitz both have counter rotation drives. Well I have said enough for now, cheers Blake
LMN118
Private

Post by LMN118 »

Wow I've been eyeing up this model for awhile now, unfortunately I have a wardrobe full of American, Britsh and French vessels that is stopping me.

I've been considering selling them as I have:

Trumpeter 1:350 Hancock
Trumpeter 1:350 Alabama
MHM 1:350 New Jersey
Tamiya 1:350 Missouri
Tamiya 1:350 Bismarck
Tamiya 1:350 King George
Revell 1:72 Gato
CC LEE 1:400 Enterprise (65)

I'll stop there! Too much to do and so little time for anything. Still I will enjoy your build of this, especially if you get those guns working!
It is never just "one" tank!
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

The guns are just to small, but they will be able to fire one shot each. My pal DANL with the firing King also has a brig square rigged ship that has firing cannons,don't recall the scale but it is large. I think he changed his avatar to a picture of the ship. But a warship with firing main guns,even if they just fire once is cool. I also have a 20+year old Nichimo 1/200 Yamato that I am considering reworking to have firing guns as well, when I built this ship it was the biggest scale battleship available in plastic,their were the 1/144 swampworks kits which I regret not buying their Bismarck/Tirpitz class kit.

Do you have any large scale ships? The 1/200 stuff is fun to build,but also it is a challenge, alot of detail and harder to hide mistakes. The other large scale also 20+ is the Fletcher class destroyer in 1/144 scale from Lindberg with the upgraded drive and two 1/32 PT Boats one built and one still in the box. So many years of ship building, but the Tanks are cool as well and in some ways an easier build,and more fun to drive. cheers

Return to “Warships”